X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact Fluorescent Bulbs - Go Green!

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

Going Green

There is now a controvercy over fluorescent bulbs because they contain mecury which can pollute ground water.

Comment

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs are more efficient and can save energy. But since they contain mercury, you endanger yourself and the environment if one gets broken.

From a news article: "Junk Science: Light Bulb Lunacy"
      How much money does it take to screw in a compact fluorescent lightbulb? About $4.28 for the bulb and labor — unless you break the bulb. Then you, like Brandy Bridges of Ellsworth, Maine, could be looking at a cost of about $2,004.28, which doesn’t include the costs of frayed nerves and risks to health.
      Take Care & Stay Bare,
      David

Comment

Something like

the Law of Unintended Consequences, I guess. Sometimes the harder you go the behinder you get.

But, I'm wondering if we did a better job of building design to let in sunlight--even mirrors to redirect and/or intensify ambient light, if perhaps we could reduce reliance on artificial light and "lightbulbs". Seems to me in an overpopulated and overusing world, they (lightbulbs) have outlived their utility.

That and change our habits, rise earlier with the light and retire earlier with the dusk as did many of our grandparents--and as still does much of the world.

Comment

This is going to be an interesting debate.

Yes, there is a small amount of mercury in them. Yes, a person might break one every few years. No, they don't need to be cleaned up by a HAZMAT crew. Yes, they save a LOT of energy. Yes, I have them everywhere I can.

Don't forget to factor in the financial and environmental impacts of creating new electrical generation plants to feed our increasing lighting demands if CF's are banned. I'll take a CF over another coal or nuclear plant any day.

And in your spare time, read the label the back of anything under your kitchen sink and then decide where the risk to yourself, kids and pets is located.

Comment

I'll tell you what you really want to GO GREEN use LED lights. Tey are more expensive, maybe $30 dollars a bulb, but they last and use less than a watt of power each.

Life Span & Energy Consumption Benefits of LED Light Bulbs vs. Incandescent Light Bulbs
            Incandescent 60 Watt Light Bulb
            CC Vivid 2 Watt LED Light Bulb
            Life Span
            How long will the light bulb last?

1,000 hoursUp to 60,000 hours
            Number of bulbs used
            over 60,000 hour period

Bulb Cost
            Per 60,000 hours

$40.20
            (60 bulbs at 67¢ each)

$34.95
            Electricity Usage
            kWh of electricity used over 60,000 hours

3600 kWh120 kWh
            Cost of Electricity
            60,000 hours at 10¢ per kWh

$360.00$12.00
            Total Cost
            After 60,000 hours

$400.20$46.95
            Total Savings:
            Money saved by installing one CC Vivid LED Light Bulb

Save $353.25 Per Bulb!

If every U.S. household replaced just one standard 60 watt bulb with a CC Vivid LED bulb, we could save 24,184,400,000 watts or 24,184.4 mega (million) watts per day.
            National savings information based on 103,000,000 households with an average use of 4 hrs per day per house. Based on gross watts.

Comment

Info on LED Light BUlbs

LED Light Bulbs

Comment

Unfortunately we can't use flourecent bulbs for health reasons. They tend to trigger our migraines over a few hours time.

Comment

Low lumens

I just looked at the URL for LED bulbs, it says that the 120 Volt version supplies 31 lumens of light, compared to 500-700 for CF or Incandescent. This appears to be a big disadvantage. Anyone here who has one of these bulbs care to give us a real-world comparison on brightness?

Thanks,

-- tomkojohn

Comment

Originally posted by tomkojohn View Post
                    I just looked at the URL for LED bulbs, it says that the 120 Volt version supplies 31 lumens of light, compared to 500-700 for CF or Incandescent. This appears to be a big disadvantage. Anyone here who has one of these bulbs care to give us a real-world comparison on brightness?

Thanks,

-- tomkojohn
                    Using it for 12 hours a day for an entire year costs less than a dollar,
                    I would suggest using them strategicaly, and saving lotsa cash.

I have used the LED flashlights and they are bright as any other and IMO a better light. Many of these bulbs also use reflection to direct the light where needed.

Comment

ercNY, do you have the same numbers for CF bulbs?

Comment

CF bulb numbers

Take a look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

It has a comparison between CF and 120V incandescent and 240V incandescent bulbs. The comparison is nice as it compares for equal light (lumens) amounts.

-- tomkojohn

Comment

Hand Generated Light

Hand Generated Light

Ultimate Eco-Friendly

You can purchase a flashlight whose light is generated by cranking a handle on its side for one minute and get bright LED light for up to one hour, before you have to crank it again for further light. No batteries nor bulbs ever have to be replaced. The price of the flashlight at Walgreens is $4.95. They also have a combination flashlight with radio, of hand generated power, for $14.95. Walmart and other places sell the hand generated flashlights. I have three of them (one kept in the car) and like them. They are not as bright as some other flashlights, but the directional light certainly helps, and you never have to worry with batteries.

I suppose the same hand cranking generating system was used many years ago with telephones in rural areas. You had to crank up the telephone to use it, but I do not know the details.

I noticed that Walgreens sold the regular compact fluorescent bulbs but also sold a fluorescent looking bulb which I believe was called EcoLightPlus, which states that it is more environment friendly as it eliminates and reduces many hazardous chemicals such as mercury, etc.
                          David77
                          Platinum Member
                          Last edited by David77; 10-17-2007, 10:31 PM.

Comment

2010 Australia is the first country ban/phase out incandescent light bulbs

Comment

Here is the wattage comparison between CF and Incandescent bulbs: (from GELighting)

Standard BulbCFL Bulb
                              60w=13w-15w
                              75w=20w
                              100w=26w-29w
                              150w=38w-42w

Because the wattage of a CFL bulb is much lower than that of an incandescent, you can use higher wattage CFL giving you the equivalent light of a higher wattage incandescent. For example: If your fixture says not to exceed 60 watts, you can use a 15 watt CFL to get the same amount of light as an incandescent bulb or use up to a 42 watt CFL and increase the amount of light.

About mercury:

CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing - an average of 5 milligrams (roughly equivalent to the tip of a ball-point pen). Mercury is an essential, irreplaceable element in CFLs and is what allows the bulb to be an efficient light source. By comparison, older home thermometers contain 500 milligrams of mercury and many manual thermostats contain up to 3000 milligrams. It would take between 100 and 600 CFLs to equal those amounts.
                              There is currently no substitute for mercury in CFLs; however, manufacturers have taken significant steps to reduce mercury used in their fluorescent lighting products over the past decade.

Proper Disposal of CF Bulbs:

• Like paint, batteries, thermostats, and other hazardous household items, CFLs should be disposed of properly. Do not throw CFLs away in your household garbage if better disposal options exist. To find out what to do first check www.earth911.org (where you can find disposal options by using your zip code) or call 1-877-EARTH911 for local disposal options. Another option is to check directly with your local waste management agency for recycling options and disposal guidelines in your community. Additional information is available at www.lamprecycle.org. Finally, IKEA stores take back used CFLs, and other retailers are currently exploring take back programs.
                            • If your local waste management agency offers no other disposal options except your household garbage, place the CFL in a plastic bag and seal it before putting it in the trash. If your waste agency incinerates its garbage, you should search a wider geographic area for proper disposal options. Never send a CFL or other mercury containing product to an incinerator. Mercury is an element (Hg on the periodic table) found naturally in the environment. Mercury emissions in the air can come from both natural and man-made sources. Utility power plants (mainly coal-fired) are the primary man-made source, as mercury that naturally exists in coal is released into the air when coal is burned to make electricity. Coal-fired power generation accounts for roughly 40% of the mercury emissions in the U.S. EPA is implementing policies to reduce airborne mercury emissions. Under regulations issued in 2005, coal-fired power plants will need to reduce their emissions by 70 percent by 2018.CFLs present an opportunity to prevent mercury emissions from entering the environment because they help to reduce emissions from coal-fired power plants. A coal-fired power plant will emit 13.6 milligrams of mercury to produce electricity required to use an incandescent light bulb, compared to 3.3 milligrams for a CFL.
                              Even in areas without significant coal-fired power generation as part of the electricity mix (e.g., Alaska and the Pacific Northwest), there are other, equally positive environmental impacts from saving energy through the use of CFLs: reduction of nitrogen oxides (which cause smog), and prevention of substantial quantities of CO2, a greenhouse gas (which is linked to global warming), as well as other air pollutants.
                              Airborne mercury poses a very low risk of exposure. However, when mercury emissions deposit into lakes and oceans, they can transform into methyl mercury that builds up in fish. Fish consumption is the most common pathway for human exposure to mercury. Pregnant women and young children are most vulnerable to the effects of this type of mercury exposure. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) estimates that most people are not exposed to harmful levels of mercury through fish consumption. However, the FDA and state agencies do issue public health advisories.

Comment

Working...
                              X