Farewell John Howard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell John Howard

After eleven and a half years, John Howard is nolonger the Prime Minister of Australia where massive swing against the government has brought in a new Federal Labor Government led by Kevin Rudd.

I remember Australia before John Howard came to power. Australia was in dire straits where government debt was out of control as we headed to bankruptcy, farmers were being pushed off farms by a Labor government that simply hated farmers, everybody knew many people who were unemployed, white Australian's were told to hate themselves where racial vilification allowed non-whites to racially vilify white people but not the other way around, the building industry union kept development business at ransom, wharfies unions kept the whole nations at ransom, the country was stuffed.

I was then a member of the Liberal Party and worked all day on election day in 1996 when John Howard was thrown into government. Nolonger do the wharfies control the wharves, the building unions went through investigations, the racial vilification laws were fixed to cover all people and not just non-white people, Australian's were allowed to feel proud of themselves. Instead of having a Prime Minister in Paul Keating who used our war remembrance days to ridicule Australians, our fallen became embraced and we were allowed to be proud of ourselves.

John Howard saw Australia through the attacks that were directly set against Australians and Americans, he was quick to stand firm behind America after 9/11 while the left wing of politics cheered the loss of American lives. When nations such as America had a down turn in their economy, when Asia went through a huge recession, the Australian economy remained strong as if there was no such thing as a recession overseas.

For the first time in Australian history, the Opposition has been elected by endorsing government policy and promising to keep all the policy and yet, promise a change in policy.

As much as I have grown very grumpy with John Howard's government with certain issues, it is I find, saddening to see him go. His policies is what allowed his electorate have residents who are from across Asia yet they punished him and now, it is unlikely that John Howard will be returned to politics in any shape or form.
    Attached Files

One can only hope that we dont see ships not been able to get unloaded & unions take over the work places .Apart from that I am looking forward to hospitals getting fixed & better roads .
    most people have been in some way or another in what you have said

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderThug View Post
      After eleven and a half years, John Howard is nolonger the Prime Minister of Australia where massive swing against the government has brought in a new Federal Labor Government led by Kevin Rudd.

and now, it is unlikely that John Howard will be returned to politics in any shape or form.
      Well, yeah, he lost his own seat.

Howard made the news here in an infamous manner.

Australia sent troops to Iraq, and an Aussie soldier - Sgt. Andrew Russell, lost his life in the campaign.

President Bush traveled to Australia on a state visit, and one of the things that he was going to do was lay a wreath at a veterans' site to honor Sgt. Russell and other Oz war vets who lost their lives. In a speech before Parliament, Bush mentioned and honored Sgt. Russell.

Whether you like him or not like him, it was a wonderful gesture and mention on the part of Bush.

One little teensy detail. Howard (through his people) "neglected" to invite Sgt. Russell's widow and daughter to the ceremony.

Mrs. Kylie Russell had been openly critical of the Howard administration, particularly on the treatment of military families who had suffered a loss, and so it will never be known if it was an oversight, or a deliberate public snubbing.

There was a public apology -- but -- the damage was done.

Comment

Originally posted by usuallylurk View Post
        Well, yeah, he lost his own seat.

Howard made the news here in an infamous manner.
        Well, he hasn't actually lost his seat yet as it will come down to absentee votes where people voted outside their electorate. It is unlikely that Howard will retain the seat of Bennelong however, he has not accepted defeat of the seat just yet because the votes are so close that it can't be called.

Comment

Originally posted by freelife View Post
          One can only hope that we dont see ships not been able to get unloaded & unions take over the work places .Apart from that I am looking forward to hospitals getting fixed & better roads .
          most people have been in some way or another in what you have said
          Don't hold your breath on the hospitals because, as most people do not realise, the management of hospitals is the Constitutional responsibility of the States. This is why Rudd was saying, if the states have not fixed the hospitals after two years, he will hold discussions with the states to take control of the health system.

The Howard Government did fund for doctors to go out to rural areas. In New South Wales when Bob Carr was the state Premier, funding to the rural regions was slashed by the Carr Government leaving rural doctors without anywhere to work. Far western New South Wales found themselves in dire straits where the Carr Government banned their doctors from mending broken bones, delivering babies, etc.

In Queensland, we have emergency departments closing down, ambulance depots closing down, maternity wards closing, doctors being forced to misdiagnose a patient to keep costs down(I know this coz it happened to me and I could hear the doctors in an arguement, upset for being forced to misdiagnose me), the list goes on.

All the federal government can do on the health scene is: funding medical services through Medicare, fund training places, handing money to the state governments.

The role of the state governments is to implement the money, fund the wages of doctors, nurses, etc. This became a problem because when the Howard Government put doctors out bush using financial rewards, the state governments responded by withdrawing the services. Something buying new software only to have the computer stolen from while you went out to buy the software.

Comment

here lies "Honest Johny''

alas.. he lied too well.

Yay !!!
            Johny's gone !!
            Yahoo !

No more Johny...

Woo.. hoo !!

History!!!

Comment

Spiderthug,

John Howard, in my opionion is an ignorant person

Earlier this year, he made a very ignorant and overreacted when he stated that he would consider banning HIV+ migrants from entering Austrailia. According to Howard, those with HIV should not be allowed to migrate to Australia and was was investigating whether it could tighten existing restrictions.

Comment

Here's what AP has to say about it

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21945113/

SYDNEY, Australia - Australians entered a new political era Sunday after electing a Chinese-speaking former diplomat as their first new prime minister in more than a decade, and handing four-term leader John Howard a humiliating loss.

Labor Party leader Kevin Rudd's emphatic victory swings Australia toward the political left after almost 12 years of conservative rule, and marks a generational shift that will result in a greater focus on issues such as global warming.

Saturday's elections brought a sharp and mortifying end to Howard's career, and he looked likely to suffer the further embarrassment of losing his own seat in Parliament — only the second sitting prime minister in 106 years of federal government to suffer that fate.

Comment

I admitedly do not know much about Mr. Howard. I do know that our Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, is a follower of his. That suggests to me that Mr Howard is of the neo-liberal pursuation. Other information I have about him supports this view.

I am hoping that his defeat is a sign that we are moving away from the extreme right-winged, neo-liberal politics and towards something more balanced between business and social/community needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Croydon View Post
                    Spiderthug,

John Howard, in my opionion is an ignorant person

Earlier this year, he made a very ignorant and overreacted when he stated that he would consider banning HIV+ migrants from entering Austrailia. According to Howard, those with HIV should not be allowed to migrate to Australia and was was investigating whether it could tighten existing restrictions.
                    Why is that ignorant? All nations should have a currency on the nations citizenship. It is not just these people who are affected. New Zealand understands such things where obese people are not allowed to migrate there.

Howard's positives will include: getting rid of massive government debt, saving Australia from bankruptcy, keeping the Australian economy going when the world's economy wasn't, breaking the back of union corruption on the wharves and in the building industry, much needed tax reform of which most people now do not hate as they see they feel for a campaign of lies about the GST, etc.

Howard's negatives includes: an attack on civil liberties, an attack on freedoms, demonising the marginalised such as those on disability where the terminally found themselves told to do a job as they weren't sick enough, theological domination, feudalism, class conflict, allowing employers to sack Austalian citizens to be replaced by third world immigrants at a lower wage, etc.

Comment

Howard positives...

What I consider another positive from the outgoing government, is some of the changes they made to superannuation - including top-up contributions for low-income earners who add ($1000..) to their own super funds;

While I don't support the notion of invading Iraq simply to secure their oil for a US oil company, I do support Aussie involvement in East Timor, the Solomons and Afghanistan, as I consider each of them to be separate issues...

But on the negative side, I haven't profited under the Howard-Costello regime :

My hourly pay rate is only up 20% over the past 7 years, whereas over the same time the Aussie economy has grown around 40%, with an underlying inflation rate that is (cumulatively..) approaching 30% - so I am well behind financially..

With house prices doubling over the same time, and land prices nearly trebling, they are even further out of reach for the average workers.

Comment

Originally posted by nudebushwalker View Post
                        What I consider another positive from the outgoing government, is some of the changes they made to superannuation - including top-up contributions for low-income earners who add ($1000..) to their own super funds;

While I don't support the notion of invading Iraq simply to secure their oil for a US oil company, I do support Aussie involvement in East Timor, the Solomons and Afghanistan, as I consider each of them to be separate issues...

But on the negative side, I haven't profited under the Howard-Costello regime :

My hourly pay rate is only up 20% over the past 7 years, whereas over the same time the Aussie economy has grown around 40%, with an underlying inflation rate that is (cumulatively..) approaching 30% - so I am well behind financially..

With house prices doubling over the same time, and land prices nearly trebling, they are even further out of reach for the average workers.
                        What you say is true.

While IR Laws did upset a lot of people, I found from speaking to people on the street over the months that IR Laws was not a major factor. This was backed up by research that showed that IR Laws weren't even in the top 5 of issues. They possibly made it to 10th.

What was upsetting people I found when talking to people was Howard's chant that working families have never had it better off. This really upset people as the wallets were getting tighter and tighter due to the rapid rise in the costs of living. Supermarkets are allowed by both sides of politics to rip off the farmer then sell produce at a 300% plus mark up.

A problem with Howard's economic boom is that the money was being made by a shrinking few while the rest were being locked out.

Personal debt however is not the responsibility of any government but the person who takes the debt out. People are purchasing too many materials on credit card which is the wrong thing to do. Governments should spend within their means just business and so must the average person.

Property prices is a direct response of both state and federal actions and non-actions. A matter of high immigration v limited water resources v lack of land released by state governments(v environmental protection) v rapid increase of council rates v what people are prepared to pay for property.

Property prices here in Rockhampton were cheap when I moved here a few years ago. This stopped when home investors from Sydney started offering to pay more than the seller was asking for. One person I spoke to just missed out on a house as someone from Sydney offered an extra $50K. The seller said that if someone can offer more than $50K on top, he'll sell it to them instead, effectively locking locals out of the market.

Comment

So when will Australia's military be brought home from Mr. Bush's Iraq war? A war based on lies.

I'll spare everyone that rant.

Comment

Howard's positives will include: getting rid of massive government debt, saving Australia from bankruptcy, keeping the Australian economy going when the world's economy wasn't, breaking the back of union corruption on the wharves and in the building industry, much needed tax reform of which most people now do not hate as they see they feel for a campaign of lies about the GST, etc.

Howard's negatives includes: an attack on civil liberties, an attack on freedoms, demonising the marginalised such as those on disability where the terminally found themselves told to do a job as they weren't sick enough, theological domination, feudalism, class conflict, allowing employers to sack Austalian citizens to be replaced by third world immigrants at a lower wage, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by texasjoe View Post
                              So when will Australia's military be brought home from Mr. Bush's Iraq war? A war based on lies.

I'll spare everyone that rant.
                              A good question. It appears by his language that this withdrawal may not happen after all. We will have to see.

The problem with withdrawal is that it sends the message of loss, of giving up, of accepting defeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X