Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Bring em on!' Part deux

Rice Calls Sadr a "Coward"; Echoes "Bring'em On"

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice mocked anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr as a coward on Sunday, hours after the radical leader threatened to declare war unless U.S. and Iraqi forces end a military crackdown on his followers.

"I know he's sitting in Iran," Rice said dismissively, when asked about al-Sadr's latest threat to lift a self-imposed cease-fire with government and U.S. forces. "I guess it's all-out war for anybody but him," Rice said. "I guess that's the message; his followers can go to their deaths and he's in Iran."
    Qikdraw

Is there another Condi quote that's not being shown? The quote offerred did not contain the word "coward" or echo the "bring it on" sentiment.

Comment

Looks to me as though the "coward" quote stands. Even Fox.com is using it. There is no doubt that her remarks, from behind the safety of heavily guarded, concrete barriers by the way, were mocking, provocative and taunting.

Hardly the words of a diplomat seeking peace, reconciliation and reconstruction.
      Last edited by usmc1; 04-22-2008, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Going by the Peter Principle, that peeple rise to the level of their incompetence, I guess not understanding a National Security memo titled "Bin Laden determined to attack in US", then being elevated to SoS and making remarks like this, you have to wonder just how far this person can rise!

Comment

Yes, Condi is calling al-Sadr a coward for threatening war while he sits in safety. But no, there is no "bring it on" sentiment, and she is not taunting anyone. The message is "why go to war and die for this coward?" Its an anti-war message.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinview View Post
            Yes, Condi is calling al-Sadr a coward for threatening war while he sits in safety. But no, there is no "bring it on" sentiment, and she is not taunting anyone. The message is "why go to war and die for this coward?" Its an anti-war message.
            Wrongo againo Bongo!

Update Brandon Friedman at VetVoice:
            In fact, this schoolyard taunt by Rice actually provides a huge piece of propaganda for Sadr, who can now use it as a rallying point for his followers who will view this as a challenge to their honor.

Again, we have yet another member of the Bush administration who--in a ham-handed effort to help our "allies"--is actually placing our own troops in more danger. I don't think there's any question that this echoes George W. Bush's provocative invitation for terrorists around the world to descend on Iraq when he declared, "Bring'em on" in July 2003. And we all know how that worked out.

But it's not just about Rice's dismissive, provocative tone, either. It's also this continuing, obnoxious Bush-brand of hypocrisy that the whole world sees: If Sadr had said the same thing of Rice--that she's a Washington, D.C. bureaucrat who sends others to fight her own battles--the Bush administration would freak out. And that fact isn't lost on Iraqis.

As Rice is one who will not have to stay and fight the Mahdi Army side-by-side with our troops, I suggest that she keep her mouth shut if she's not going to say anything helpful. Because statements like these are certainly not.
            And Spencer Ackerman:
            So Sadr is a coward for making threats from Iran… and Condoleezza Rice is a stateswoman for blustering Sadr into making a move that carries the potential of killing American soldiers. Why is this woman respected again?
            Who says she is? The Europeans lost any glimmer of respect for her when she lied to them about using their airspace for illegal renditions to torture. They're all, conservative as well as left-leaning, waiting with bated breath in the hope that the next US administration won't be entirely composed of cack-handed amateurs.

Comment

Some of us can see through the partisan crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinview View Post
                Some of us can see through the partisan crap.
                Yes some of us can, and some just spew out partisian lies again and again.

I'm glad I can tell which is which.

Qikdraw

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
                  Yes some of us can, and some just spew out partisian lies again and again.

I'm glad I can tell which is which.

Qikdraw
                  Word that!

Comment

Well if Sadr is not a coward why does he have to sneek in and out of Iraq. Rice, Cheney and the Shrub don't have to do that. Oh wait, come to think of it....well, at least Mcain had the guts to go shopping; even if it was with the U.S. Army, Marines, CIA and maybe the Coast Guard (HSA ya know).
                    b.l.

Comment

Um well it seems to me the point of diplomacy is to be...

wait for it...

diplomatic!

It' not about showing your face in the market (with air cover of course). It's about minimizing your foes advantages, and maximizing your own. There's nothing partisan about expecting your top diplomat to not be even moderately inept. Condi's area of expertise is for an empire that ceased to exist 10 years ago (USSR). I find it highly unlikely that she is the MOST qualified person in the state department to do her job. It's no secret that she has it because she is loyal to one man. Unfortunately, that shouldn't be the top qualification to be SoS. A president needs more than "yes" men to advise him (or her) to represent the US in the best possible way.

Comment

Working...
                      X