Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspapers - A thing of the past?

NY TIMES Publisher "I really don't know whether we'll be printing in 5 yrs"

Despite his personal fortune and impressive lineage, Arthur Sulzberger, owner, chairman and publisher of the most respected newspaper in the world, is a stressed man. "I really don't know whether we'll be printing the Times in five years, and you know what? I don't care either," he says.

Declining circulation (Newspaper's most loyal customers, the WWII genration are dying off, the majority of the 18 - 35, and many 35 - 54 age cohorts grew up in households devoid of newspapers, and are now raising families devoid of newspapers), convergence and fragmented advertising share and so-called new-media all play a part.

NY TIMES Publisher "I really don't know whether we'll be printing in 5 yrs"

Despite his personal fortune and impressive lineage, Arthur Sulzberger, owner, chairman and publisher of the most respected newspaper in the world, is a stressed man. "I really don't know whether we'll be printing the Times in five years, and you know what? I don't care either," he says.

Declining circulation (Newspaper's most loyal customers, the WWII genration are dying off, the majority of the 18 - 35, and many 35 - 54 age cohorts grew up in households devoid of newspapers, and are now raising families devoid of newspapers), convergence and fragmented advertising share and so-called new-media all play a part.

Comment

I have a newspaper delivered every day, and very much enjoy reading it. However, I also trawl a number of newspaper and television websites for additional news coverage. They rarely contain the depth of comment and feature articles which one finds in the print versions.

But you're right, newspaper owners are facing an interesting future, and many households no longer buy papers.

Click here to see a large version of my avatar pic of Sorobon Beach Resort.

Comment

I used to get the newspaper, but nowadays, I read the paper on the net, much easier, I can read it on different times of the day and I read different papers. I read "het Nieuwsblad" which is a Belgian paper, "The Greenville News", I used to live in Greenville S.C., and "The Post and Courrier" a Charleston S.C. newspaper, to get the local stuff, that's where I am right now.

Comment

I agree with nakedjohn. I also use my local newspaper's website to skim the stories and ads. It enables me to read what I want and ignore the rest.

Comment

I'm in the 35 - 54 group, and the last time I had daily Newspaper delivery was 20 years ago. I had it then because I was in Tech School and used the coupons to save money on groceries. (Covered the cost of the subscription) Since then, I've picked up Sunday papers to get shopping coupons during times when I've been laid off work.

My Parents (62+) still have daily newspaper delivery. And they also have online subscriptions to their hometown papers, to check the Obituaries.

Take Care & Enjoy Life Bare,
            David

Comment

Working...
            X