Knee Surgery - HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee Surgery - HELP!!

I had knee surgery on 4th July after completely tearing my anterior cruciate ligament and damaging my meniscus whilst playing in a league netball match last year.

Now I've been told that the graft, which was taken from my patella tendon, has stretched 2cms. Consequently my knee is now very unstable and it gives me pai most days - far worse than before the surgery.

Has anyone here any experience or knowledge of this that they could share with me. Frankly I'm terrified of having to undergo further surgery! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Stu

I had knee surgery on 4th July after completely tearing my anterior cruciate ligament and damaging my meniscus whilst playing in a league netball match last year.

Now I've been told that the graft, which was taken from my patella tendon, has stretched 2cms. Consequently my knee is now very unstable and it gives me pai most days - far worse than before the surgery.

Has anyone here any experience or knowledge of this that they could share with me. Frankly I'm terrified of having to undergo further surgery! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

especially since you'll probably be nude on the operating table! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Comment

does not sound good stu. my wife has had two knee surgerys for the same thing. she was also very reluctant to have the second, knowing the pain and long rehab time involved. but you really need to do it. she has lig from cadaver this time and has worked out well. (also better surgeon!).
        good luck,
        baron

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by TXK NUDE:
          [qb] especially since you'll probably be nude on the operating table! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [/qb]
          Naw, Stu gives firm instructions about what parts are allowed to be uncovered. That is not a worry.

Stu - my father had the same type of surgery with somewhat better results than yours, and he did always have to wear a knee brace for athletics aftwards. But it was definitely worth it, he later competed several times in our State 'Senior Olympics'.

It doesn't sound like you have much choice. You know you have our support and best wishes.

-Mark

Comment

txk

"especially since you'll probably be nude on the operating table!"

We don't do that here in the UK - there's no need to be nude when having knee surgery. When I had my original knee op I was able to wear two pairs of swimming trunks and a pair of shorts. And I instructed that they weren't to be touched - and they weren't!

Baron Lake

"does not sound good stu. my wife has had two knee surgerys for the same thing. she was also very reluctant to have the second, knowing the pain and long rehab time involved. but you really need to do it."

If it's essential I will - I just hope there is an alternative.

"she has lig from cadaver this time and has worked out well. (also better surgeon!)."

That's called an allograft and that's standard in the US. Here they do autograft (i.e. patient's own tissue). If they have to repeat the surgery I would think they'll either tighten the existing graft or replace it with hamstring.

"good luck,"

Thanks!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Naturistmark

"Stu - my father had the same type of surgery with somewhat better results than yours...But it was definitely worth it, he later competed several times in our State 'Senior Olympics'."

That's encouraging.

"It doesn't sound like you have much choice. You know you have our support and best wishes."

Thank you Mark. I'll keep you posted.

Stu

Comment

stu
              If you are worried about it then get a second opinion....
              I would say i would prey for you but you dont believe in GOD so your on your own...........
              steve

Comment

Thanks steven. I've had a few second opinions here so I think I know where I'm going with this.

But yeah, save your prayers for those who believe in them - but I appreciate the thought.

Stu

Comment

Stu, bad knees seem to run in my family. My niece suffered a similar injury to yours in a sking accident and both of my parents have had severe arthitis of the knee. All three have had knee replacements... the niece with a reinforced ceramic knee and both partents have stainless steel. in my father's case, he wished it could have been done decades earlier!
                  GoodLuck!

Comment

Thanks for that fred. I really hope they don't have to give me a whole new knee but if they do I hope it's a nice shiny wooden one that I can polish every Sunday.

For the time being I'll just plough o with the physiotherapy and keep my fingers crossed.

Stu

Comment

Stu helping the doctor to locate the anterior cruciate ligament.

Rik

Comment

My wife has had several knee surgeries and finally a total replacement. There are several choices beside using something from your body or a cadaver. There is also synthetic ones available. Everyone's body reacts differently to surgeries and it is not pleasant and it may take some time or even mean wearing a brace. It takes a great deal of mental preparation---look at the alternatives.

Comment

Hey Naturalmanwa,

Since you elected not to allow PM's where bouts in Western WA do you call home???

Greensunshine also up here in the Pacific NW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
                          More specificially Western WA

[QUOTE]Originally posted by naturalmanwa:

Comment

Working...
                          X