Ideas For A New Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas For A New Book

I've been mulling over an idea for a book and I wanted to get some opinions and ideas from everyone here.

The working title is: "Group in a Room"

Six or eight people, half men, wake up in a bare room. They are naked and don't know how they got where they are. At first they wonder if they are destined to be killed a la Saw. But a letter to them says that they are unwilling participants in an experiment. One that is to show how people get along when cut off from the outside world and forced to co-exist in a closed environment. It's a study in human behavior, emotion, and relationships.

Of course, we don't know for sure if the letter is truthful or not. They wrestle with their situation and wonder what the real reason for their capture is.

Their world for some period of time (perhaps a year) is a 30ft x 30ft x 30ft room with a hole in the floor for a toilet and a sink with hot/cold water. No furniture, bare walls. The ceiling is reflective glass to allow observing (if they are really being observed).

Under the floor panels are small storage areas. They find only very basic supplies (yet to be determined fully). One of the things that they find in the storage area is a set of blank journals/diaries and a box of pens.

I haven't decided on races, religions, or other background. That's where I'd like to solicit ideas.

I plan to write this book like a collection of journal/diary entries--entirely first person. If you've ever read "Fair and Tender Ladies", then you know what I mean. So, writing from each person's point of view and dialect will be very important since descriptions of events will be presented from more than one point of view and will be biased.

Since everyone will be nude, I thought nudists would be especially interested in it. Although none of the characters are nudists, they will all have to deal with becoming comfortable with their nudity in front of each other. But unlike nudists (more like married couples, though), they will be subjected to the normal physical functioning of each others' bodies. Since they will have no privacy, they will have to perform those functions with an audience--and deal with everything that it entails. Certainly most people would look the other way (but some would not).

What happens after a few weeks? A few months? What happens when they feel that they are on their own with no enforcer of social etiquette or laws?

So, there it is. What do you think? Any ideas or suggestions. Situations that might come up that could be enlightening, traumatic, funny, serious, sad, or otherwise?

I have some more ideas, but I want to leave it at that to keep from biasing anyone's ideas too much. I'll be glad to hear suggestions.

Stay nude.

bg

Legal disclaimer: By posting ideas (either explicit or suggested) you are giving me the right to incorporate those ideas into my book, which I hope to sell commercially and make a huge profit, without any form of reimbursement, financial or otherwise, to you. If I use an idea that was put forth here, I will attempt to give some sort of acknowledgment to you via your screen name if you so desire.

I've been mulling over an idea for a book and I wanted to get some opinions and ideas from everyone here.

The working title is: "Group in a Room"

Six or eight people, half men, wake up in a bare room. They are naked and don't know how they got where they are. At first they wonder if they are destined to be killed a la Saw. But a letter to them says that they are unwilling participants in an experiment. One that is to show how people get along when cut off from the outside world and forced to co-exist in a closed environment. It's a study in human behavior, emotion, and relationships.

Of course, we don't know for sure if the letter is truthful or not. They wrestle with their situation and wonder what the real reason for their capture is.

Their world for some period of time (perhaps a year) is a 30ft x 30ft x 30ft room with a hole in the floor for a toilet and a sink with hot/cold water. No furniture, bare walls. The ceiling is reflective glass to allow observing (if they are really being observed).

Under the floor panels are small storage areas. They find only very basic supplies (yet to be determined fully). One of the things that they find in the storage area is a set of blank journals/diaries and a box of pens.

I haven't decided on races, religions, or other background. That's where I'd like to solicit ideas.

I plan to write this book like a collection of journal/diary entries--entirely first person. If you've ever read "Fair and Tender Ladies", then you know what I mean. So, writing from each person's point of view and dialect will be very important since descriptions of events will be presented from more than one point of view and will be biased.

Since everyone will be nude, I thought nudists would be especially interested in it. Although none of the characters are nudists, they will all have to deal with becoming comfortable with their nudity in front of each other. But unlike nudists (more like married couples, though), they will be subjected to the normal physical functioning of each others' bodies. Since they will have no privacy, they will have to perform those functions with an audience--and deal with everything that it entails. Certainly most people would look the other way (but some would not).

What happens after a few weeks? A few months? What happens when they feel that they are on their own with no enforcer of social etiquette or laws?

So, there it is. What do you think? Any ideas or suggestions. Situations that might come up that could be enlightening, traumatic, funny, serious, sad, or otherwise?

I have some more ideas, but I want to leave it at that to keep from biasing anyone's ideas too much. I'll be glad to hear suggestions.

Stay nude.

bg

Legal disclaimer: By posting ideas (either explicit or suggested) you are giving me the right to incorporate those ideas into my book, which I hope to sell commercially and make a huge profit, without any form of reimbursement, financial or otherwise, to you. If I use an idea that was put forth here, I will attempt to give some sort of acknowledgment to you via your screen name if you so desire.

Comment

Hmmm, interesting. There might have been some similar, real-life, but very tragic scenarios played out during the Holocaust.

I could imagine a couple difficult characters, either someone a real emotional mess or someone very hostile, blaming everyone around him/her for the situation. I could imagine chaos at first, until at least a crude order took form (someone becomes the leader or at least voice of wisdom). I would imagine most of them terrified to expose genitals/breasts or to do bodily functions in front of the others, but I would think eventually all of them would get used to it, though maybe other would look away, to be considerate? After days or weeks, I'd imagine all of them would be okay being nude. Maybe some of them would try to do bodily functions while the others sleep. After a few months, perhaps romantic relationships would even form, and perhaps they'd try to wait until everyone was asleep to "get to know each other a little better".

Just my 2 cents!

Comment

BG,

This sounds like it could be quite interesting indeed. You mentioned that none of the characters are nudists, but one thing I thought of is that perhaps the different personalities could exhibit varying degrees of body shame/body acceptance, at least at first. In other words, some of the characters could be extremely gymnophobic and self-conscious, while others would be beter able to cope with their own (and others') nudity in the unfamiliar situation. Since the narrative is first-person POV it would be interesting to read how people of different attitudes (towards nudity) react to others with opposing sensibilities. Of course, being a starry-eyed utopian nudist myself I can certainly hope that everyone comes around to a more enlightened attitude towards the human body towards the conclusion...but you're the author.

Thanks for putting this out there and soliciting suggestions.

UW

Comment

BG the basic plot sounds like a book I read several years ago.
          Can't think of it's title at the moment ... it's late ... but I think I still have it (I never throw away a book and my son will swear on that, ok, curse that, as he has helped me move all of them from one place to the other several times).
          I will check to see if I can find it and let you know.

Comment

=Perhaps a 'Noah's ark' might work, ie one man and one woman of each race might work for this. Now, how do you intend to feed them? As shown in times of war, the human body is a marvel of adapting to hardships. I mention that because I don't see any provisions for sleeping comfort.
            just some thoughts

Comment

Sounds a lot like "NO Exit" by Jean Paul Sartre.

Comment

quote:
                Sounds a lot like "NO EXIT" by Jean Paul Sartre,

That's it! That's the book I read.

Thanks for the brain jog there, KNude.

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far.

As far as food: I envisioned that they would find packaged food in the floor compartments.

I'm struggling with whether there should be any outside contact or whether the outside contact should become a character as well.

For instance, I had the thought that sometimes the outsider would grant wishes. But, as the old saying goes, beware what you wish for because it may come true. A character laments that he misses his computer and wishes that he has one. So, they wake up one morning to find a computer. They are all ecstatic...until they realize that there is no where to plug it in.

I've thought about the Noah's Ark setup too. I wondered if it was too cliche or haughty sounding, like I was trying to tell everyone to just get along. But on the other hand, it wouldn't be interesting if everyone was the same...

Whatever race, sex, and religion I choose will require a lot of research and thought about where they came from and why they behave the way they do. Although I would love to pen it all, I dread all of the research that I'll need to do to make sure I get things right.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming.

Stay nude.

bg

Comment

Working...
                  X