This song banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This song banned

This song was banned from playing on the radio.

http://gunbarrelcityradio.com/InGodWeStillTrust.wmv

this is a self playing video.

Jim

Jim

Comment

I like it...thanks for sharing...

Comment

I guess I can see why, but I think they will still play that one on a Country Western channel, or on the many Christian stations...so I doubt it was banned across the board!

I was kind of expecting something dirty or highly insulting, i.e. racist, sexist, or the like.

Nice video though!

Comment

Nice song. It suffers a bit from the implication that separation of Church and State is anti-God rather than a protection of religious freedom.

But I find nothing offensive in the song, and can't imagine that any part of America's corporate media would embargo or censure it. Any info on the what kind of ban is being claimed ?

-Mark

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Thenoodeone:

Jim

WHO "banned" it?

The FCC does not "ban" content such as this.

It turns out that Diamond Rio's record label didn't release it as a single, nor did they promote the song as a single. And in today's world of radio, where they play singles that are promoted by the label (and the song has to be good), that's the way things work.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/diamondrio.asp

provides a link as to why the song hasn't enjoyed airplay.

It has been the subject of yet another "Craig Shergold needs postcards-Madlyn Murray-O'Hair wants religious broadcasting banned - Congressmen don't pay taxes - there are AIDS needles in gas pump handles - the post office will tax all e-mails" type of internet rumor/hoax.

Or, this letter writing campaign might be designed to embarrass radio stations into playing it. Usually doesn't work that way, however; if a radio station or radio station group has a program director or music director, he/she determines what gets into regular airplay rotation.

I'm not saying that the song is bad -- but also, if a music/program director feels that a song isn't or won't be popular - it won't get much spin. They are very wise to people calling demanding airplay of a song -- because all too often, an artist may have shills calling radio stations requesting their work.

Usually when an album is released, one or two tracks will be the "promo" track. I'm not a country music fan, nor am I a Diamond Rio fan, but it might be that the label opted to promote other tracks on the CD album.

According to all indications, the song was only "banned" because the group and label chose not to plug it.

Comment

OK, here's the poop ...

The song was never banned. It was not played on the radio because it was never released - until recently when it was included as a 'new' track on a greatest hits CD.

Radio stations generally do not play songs that they don't have.

But by claiming it was banned, the song now has strong viral promotion campaign going.

No banning, just clever PR.

Is it a sin to promote a religious song with a lie?
              Urban Legend Reference Pages.

Comment

The person that sent it to me said it
                was policaly(spell)incorrect,thats all
                I know about the song.

Jim

Comment

The meaning of the song is very true. We as a sociaty are taking god out of our dailey lives. We need to sit back and think where we will be in the future if no one can speak of god out in the open. Most people believe in a higher up person and we should all fight to keep god in our lives and the lives of our future leaders.

Comment

From what I can tell, the bit of "Here in America..." showing Niagara Falls is taken from, and is mostly of, some other country whose name escapes me at the moment.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Thenoodeone:
                      The person that sent it to me said it
                      was policaly(spell)incorrect,thats all
                      I know about the song.

Jim

There you have the classic definition of rumor mongering and another example of just how misunderstood so-called "political correctness is, and the sheer gullibility of some people.

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by Naturist Mark:

But by claiming it was banned, the song now has strong viral promotion campaign going.

No banning, just clever PR.

A brewery -- I think Rolling Rock -- may have done the same thing - "apologizing" for an ad that was "offensive" (it wasn't). But the ad campaign backfired.

quote:

Is it a sin to promote a religious song with a lie?

I think it is. It also tends to persuade me that if they had to resort to these tactics to push the song, one can see "through" the song. Emotional tugging at heartstrings, jingoism, the name of God, and last but not least - I will say it now.

The song's not that good. Once was enough. Twice is too much. Perhaps the record label and radio stations felt as I did.

Comment

I suspect that in their nasty litle lizard brains those record execs and radio station programmers had figured out that the market for maudlin, post 9/11, jingoistic, god-fearing, uber-patriotic, flag-waving has peaked and reality has set in that we were bilked.

I listened and it is definitely a side b tune with limited appeal for those folks who get teary eyed over reruns of Tammy Faye and Jimbo.

Comment

quote:
                            The song's not that good. Once was enough. Twice is too much.
                            That's it! That's why, half way through, the lyrics left me bored. But I continued watching the neat pictures...

Comment

Well I am not going to download it. I refuse to have country music anywhere in the house!

That stuff can be damaging to one's health! Only pure rock can cure what ails ya!

Bob S.

Comment

Working...
                              X