Why Palin must not be elected...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Palin must not be elected...

By all rights I should be dead, and so should John McCain. Each of us has lived at least a decade longer than the actuarial tables projected for our sex, race, and years of birth as projected at our time of birth. He’s older than I, by some time, but those tables were there, for both of us. And both of us have lived fairly hard—his prison camp experience and bouts with cancer, and my multiple high-speed car crashes, motorcycle lay downs, bar fights, Marine Corps years, and just general ability and propensity to raise hell since I hit fourteen have taken a toll.

My point with all that is this: neither of us, McCain nor I, have any business investing in any long term projects requiring our continued presence and direct involvement. If we don’t die, at some point we’re going to have to take off our packs and blow a bit. Now, don’t get me wrong, I do think that healthy guys our ages (me more than him, since I'm younger) need to take on what we feel we can take on. But, by the same token, the reality is that our minds, and bodies, could go south on us a lot quicker than when we were fifty-something. And, again, neither of us are poster boys for good clean living. Oh yeah...the point! Right. In my case, life would go on, and with the exception of my absence, things would be as they were all along—not so with McCain, Palin would be handed the proverbial "football."

That is the point, very specifically. Do we want Sarah Palin taking the 2:00 AM phone call with her hand on the switch? Not me. I really don't, and for good reason, which I'll come to shortly.

Please let’s just put aside the fact that she is a flippant, smartass, nitwit that reminds me of the lady who insists on checking my ID at the Quickee Mart (OK, I made that up). Really, she just reminds me of the lady that ran the school office in Junior High. Let’s put that aside—anyway, that woman got her payback when coach ran off with the librarian.

And let’s put aside the fact that she kited her expense reports. Hell, who hasn’t done that, at least to the extent of rounding up? Or maybe taken a pencil home, or some printing paper for a “work project”? And we can overlook her using the power of her office to sack some slob that wouldn’t get with the program in getting rid of her churlish brother-in-law. I mean after all, what good is power if you don’t flex out and use it from time-to-time?

And, really, we need to overlook her hard-shell, holy-roller approach to religion. Isn’t the ocean deep, and aren’t there many tributaries leading to it? If she thinks praying will “remove gayness”, that’s fine. It’s just stupidity on her part, and it’s not as though we never had stupidity in high office before. Some would tell you it is a prerequisite.

No, none of that, while sort of eye-raising, scares me about her having her hands on that proverbial football. What does give my heart a bit of a flutter, and causes my sphincter to tighten, are her utterances to the effect that the invasion and interminable occupation of Iraq is God’s work. And, even here, I’m putting aside the Christian view of what constitutes a “just war”. Again, ignorance accounts for her not knowing that.

But, the notion, that any sane person would think that what has happened in Iraq is part of a “mission from God” really should be sufficient to give one considerable pause. And, if you can, I can't. put aside the effect that will have on our moderate Arab allies, already struggling to keep a lid on restive populations concerned with our presence in the region.

That is a pretty significant signal that it just might not be the world’s best interest to hand-off the proverbial "football" to such a lunatic. And face it, that would be more likely to happen than not, if McCain were to be elected. I just don’t care to take the risk, the actuarial odds aren’t good on that one.

And having gotten this far, I'm really not expecting to cash in anytime soon. I just need to some time, in the next 5-years or so, to take off my pack, unsling my rifle and sit and blow a bit. So, I don't want some smartass, flippant, nitwit, expense account abusing, power-mad person that reminds of my Junior High School office lady getting my butt blown up before that happens.
    usmc1
    Diamond Member
    Last edited by usmc1; 09-09-2008, 02:36 PM.

Is your head going to explode like on that movie Scanners when McCain gets elected? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by brazhunter View Post
      Is your head going to explode like on that movie Scanners when McCain gets elected? :-)
      In case of that unlikely event, I'll buy some duct tape.

Comment

Bravo.

...And the YouTube video of the church where she was speaking did it for me. I hope the media exposes her ultra right religious leanings to the fullest extent: shouldn't that scare the daylights out of the bulk of sane Americans, regardless of political affiliation?

Originally posted by usmc1 View Post
        (snip) But, the notion, that any sane person would think that what has happened in Iraq is part of a “mission from God” really should be sufficient to give one considerable pause. And, if you can, I can't. put aside the effect that will have on our moderate Arab allies, already struggling to keep a lid on restive populations concerned with our presence in the region.

That is a pretty significant signal that it just might not be the world’s best interest to hand-off the proverbial "football" to such a lunatic. And face it, that would be more likely to happen than not, if McCain were to be elected. I just don’t care to take the risk, the actuarial odds aren’t good on that one.

(snip)

Comment

Great job!

usmc1, when are you going to write your novel? That was hysterical and bang on! Thank you for adding levity to my day.

I sure hope you do not need the duct tape.

Frankly, it scares me that the radical religious right has such a say in US politics.

Comment

Lies

Is anyone keeping a list of Palin lies?

1) Was against the "Bridge to nowhere" - in fact she campaigned for governor on a pro-bridge platform, lobbied for it, fought against its cancellation, and then kept the money once it was cancelled.

2) Fights against earmarks - in fact as mayor of Wasilla she hired lobbyists to gather earmarks for her tiny town, which received $27 million in just 3 years - the per capita record in America.

3) She "sold the state's luxury jet on eBay" (at a profit! adds McCain) - it was listed on eBay, but did not sell. She turned it over to an aviation broker who sold it at a $600,000 loss.

4) To the dismay of her kids she fired the state provided chef that cooked for them. - in fact she merely reassigned the chef to a different position, a change of title, but she continued to cook for the Palin's.

5) She has fought against high taxes. - in fact she raised taxes. Alaska has the highest per capita taxes of any state in the USA - but most of them are derived from the oil industry and are thus paid indirectly by the rest of us.

6) She is a reformer who slashes government spending - in fact, both as Mayor and Governor Palin has exploded government spending - despite setting a per capita record of well over $3000 in federal earmarks per resident in Wasilla she left the town $20 million in debt. The state of Alaska ranks #1 in spending per capita - more than double the national average. A big part of that is the $3200 'rebate' the state sends to each citizen every year (which also accounts for Palin's popularity - she increased it from a mere $2000 per year). Yet despite the fact that Alaska is awash in oil money, it ranks #1 in federal money spent in the state per resident.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not exactly a campaign lie, but a new outrage:
            Palin collected nearly $17,000 in per diems from the state of Alaska for 312 nights spent in her own home. Amazingly in Alaska this may not be illegal. Now imagine what the McCain campaign and the press would say if Obama did this for even a single night.

-Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MoonShadow
              "I didn't run because I was a woman but I was very conscious of the fact that my campaign meant a lot to so many, and I appreciate that," she said yesterday.
              When she was running she certainly capitalized on the fact that she was a woman. Many women supported her just because she was a woman and wanted to see a woman in the White House. If she plays the 'woman' card it will backfire and create even bigger support for Palin. If she is smart, she will stay away from the gender issue and stick to policy differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Naturist Mark View Post

Is anyone keeping a list of Palin lies?
                -Mark
                No, the moderates and independents are too busy focusing upon the real issues to be bothered with allegations and biased accusations against any politician. All politicians will do whatever they need to in order to get elected. Why should Palin be singled out or be any different.

As for per diem, anyone who will bother to read the entire story behind the per diem issue to get all of the facts will realize that Palin's expenses were actually much less then her predecessor and were considered to be overall within reason. It's a non issue that was dredged up by the opposition party political die hards.

Comment

5) She has fought against high taxes. - in fact she raised taxes. Alaska has the highest per capita taxes of any state in the USA - but most of them are derived from the oil industry and are thus paid indirectly by the rest of us.

-Mark
                  COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FALSE STATEMENT! Alaska does NOT have the highest total per capita tax burden. New York has that distinction. However, Alaska has the highest per capita EXPENDITURE which means that Alaska spends more per person that any other state. Such blatently false information is just another clear example of how low the opposition die hards will sink to smear a candidate. In this case it is (oh heaven forbid!) the dems. It just goes to show that dems are no better then repubs when it comes to spreading smears and false information. Thanks to Mark for indirectly pointing this out.

ANALYSIS FINDS NEW YORK'S PER-CAPITA TAX BURDEN HIGHEST IN THE NATION

ALBANY—New York State’s per capita state and local tax burden in 2005 was the highest in the nation, according to a new analysis by the Public Policy Institute.
                  The Institute analyzed state and local finance data provided by the Census Bureau. The numbers, which covered the 2004-2005 fiscal year, showed that New York’s per-capita state and local tax burden was the highest in the nation at $5,770 – 56 percent above the national average of $3,699 and 7 percent above the next highest per capita burden in Connecticut.
                  The state’s per-capita property tax burden was the fourth highest in the nation at $1,774 – 57 percent above the national average. The highest per-capita property tax burden belonged to New Jersey.
                  New York’s per-capita debt burden was third highest in the nation at $12,107, an increase of 6 percent over the 2003-2004 per-capita total and 74 percent above the 2004-2005 national average.
                  The Institute also found that New York’s per-capita spending was the second highest in the nation at $11,841. That amount was 48 percent above the national average of $8,003.
                  The Census data analyzed by the Institute are available at www.census.gov/govs/www/estimate05.html.
                  Rank
                  State
                  Total per-capita tax burden
                  Rank, property tax burden
                  Per-capita property tax burden
                  Rank, debt
                  Per-capita debt
                  Rank, total per-capita expenditures
                  Total per-capita expenditures
                  NEW YORK
                  $5,770
                  $1,774
                  $12,107
                  $11,841
                  Connecticut
                  $5,383
                  $2,038
                  $8,845
                  $8,526
                  Wyoming
                  $5,246
                  $1,749
                  $3,729
                  $11,078
                  New Jersey
                  $4,882
                  $2,202
                  $8,361
                  $8,885
                  Massachusetts
                  $4,494
                  $1,616
                  $12,188
                  $9,227
                  Alaska
                  $4,441
                  $1,345
                  $13,197
                  $15,108
                  Hawaii
                  $4,332
                  $642
                  $7,287
                  $8,261
                  Maryland
                  $4,267
                  $999
                  $4,992
                  $7,370
                  Rhode Island
                  $4,181
                  $1,691
                  $8,083
                  $8,716
                  Vermont
                  $4,133
                  $1,695
                  $5,843
                  $8,313
                  Minnesota
                  $4,083
                  $1,023
                  $7,065
                  $8,484
                  California
                  $4,058
                  $943
                  $7,852
                  $9,507
                  Maine
                  $3,950
                  $1,628
                  $5,268
                  $7,735
                  Delaware
                  $3,885
                  $576
                  $7,382
                  $8,978
                  Wisconsin
                  $3,866
                  $1,408
                  $6,670
                  $7,794
                  Illinois
                  $3,850
                  $1,464
                  $8,124
                  $7,679
                  Nevada
                  $3,745
                  $961
                  $7,659
                  $7,207
                  Nebraska
                  $3,745
                  $1,195
                  $4,865
                  $8,112
                  Pennsylvania
                  $3,702
                  $1,077
                  $8,093
                  $8,080
                  Virginia
                  $3,655
                  $1,109
                  $5,885
                  $6,818
                  Washington
                  $3,654
                  $1,056
                  $8,437
                  $8,940
                  Ohio
                  $3,639
                  $1,044
                  $5,290
                  $8,019
                  Michigan
                  $3,487
                  $1,276
                  $6,800
                  $7,562
                  Kansas
                  $3,420
                  $1,126
                  $6,395
                  $6,885
                  Indiana
                  $3,402
                  $1,218
                  $4,867
                  $6,712
                  Florida
                  $3,365
                  $1,146
                  $6,223
                  $7,328
                  Colorado
                  $3,361
                  $1,059
                  $8,383
                  $7,523
                  North Dakota
                  $3,332
                  $974
                  $5,205
                  $7,533
                  New Hampshire
                  $3,298
                  $2,023
                  $7,094
                  $6,612
                  Iowa
                  $3,272
                  $1,113
                  $3,927
                  $7,326
                  Louisiana
                  $3,162
                  $537
                  $5,472
                  $7,200
                  New Mexico
                  $3,147
                  $448
                  $5,416
                  $8,075
                  North Carolina
                  $3,145
                  $743
                  $4,711
                  $6,997
                  Arizona
                  $3,086
                  $863
                  $5,528
                  $6,610
                  West Virginia
                  $3,055
                  $555
                  $4,642
                  $6,752
                  Oregon
                  $3,050
                  $979
                  $7,101
                  $7,988
                  Georgia
                  $3,030
                  $905
                  $4,179
                  $6,492
                  Texas
                  $3,024
                  $1,324
                  $6,588
                  $6,647
                  Missouri
                  $2,995
                  $810
                  $5,402
                  $6,411
                  Utah
                  $2,958
                  $726
                  $6,005
                  $6,993
                  Kentucky
                  $2,938
                  $538
                  $7,236
                  $6,461
                  Idaho
                  $2,927
                  $807
                  $2,784
                  $6,234
                  Montana
                  $2,910
                  $1,066
                  $5,448
                  $6,848
                  Arkansas
                  $2,898
                  $422
                  $4,031
                  $6,208
                  Oklahoma
                  $2,839
                  $484
                  $4,062
                  $6,202
                  South Carolina
                  $2,773
                  $879
                  $7,031
                  $7,758
                  South Dakota
                  $2,711
                  $941
                  $4,949
                  $6,383
                  Tennessee
                  $2,682
                  $653
                  $4,289
                  $7,196
                  Mississippi
                  $2,564
                  $674
                  $3,488
                  $6,861
                  Alabama
                  $2,564
                  $393
                  $4,944
                  $7,289
                  U.S. Average
                  $3,699
                  $1,132
                  $6,973
                  $8,003

NYS % +/- U.S. Average
                  56%
                  57%
                  74%
                  48%

Comment

You'd think they'd know better by now ...

Originally posted by Sanslines View Post
                    COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FALSE STATEMENT! Alaska does NOT have the highest total per capita tax burden. New York has that distinction. However, Alaska has the highest per capita EXPENDITURE which means that Alaska spends more per person that any other state. Such blatently false information is just another clear example of how low the opposition die hards will sink to smear a candidate.
                    Nice try.

As I stated Alaska has the highest per capita taxes in the nation - most of which are derived from the oil industry - and ultimately paid by the rest of us, as I stated. The census data quoted for the tax burden doesn't include the resource depletion tax and other oil taxes that are the source of 89% of Alaska's unrestricted revenue. The trick is that most of Alaska's taxes are not levied directly on Alaskan's, they are levied on the rest of us - they account for 75% of the cost per barrel of Alaskan oil.

If you dive into the census data and include all Revenue, including the state's "own sources" you'll find that Alaska's tax revenue is over $19,000 per person - more than 50% higher than New York's.

So according to the census bureau and Time Magazine I made a COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY TRUE STATEMENT!
                    Naturist Mark
                    Supreme Member
                    Last edited by Naturist Mark; 09-09-2008, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Nice try.

As I stated Alaska has the highest per capita taxes in the nation - most of which are derived from the oil industry - and ultimately paid by the rest of us, as I stated. The census data you quoted for the tax burden doesn't include the resource depletion tax and other oil taxes that are the source of 89% of Alaska's unrestricted revenue. The trick is that most of Alaska's taxes are not levied directly on Alaskan's, they are levied on the rest of us - they account for 75% of the cost per barrel of Alaskan oil.

If you dive into the census data and include all Revenue, including the state's "own sources" you'll find that Alaska's tax revenue is over $19,000 per person - more than 50% higher than New York's.

So according to the census bureau and Time Magazine I made a COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY TRUE STATEMENT!
                      damn you're good

Comment

Originally posted by Croydon View Post
                        damn you're good
                        Isn't he though!

That is interesting, and it is hard to wrap my head around it. I live in the part of BC that is oil and gas country. We have much the same characteristics here I would imagine, as Alaska. We bring in just about all the revenue for the province, yet we do not see as much benefit from it as we ought. Alberta is the richest province in Canada because of oil and gas, and I believe, has the lowest taxes. Apparently they do things differently in Washington than in Ottawa/Victoria/Edmonton.

Can't wait for the next installment of this discussion.

Popcorn anyone?

Comment

4) To the dismay of her kids she fired the state provided chef that cooked for them. - in fact she merely reassigned the chef to a different position, a change of title, but she continued to cook for the Palin's.
                          I heard on the news tonight that the chef is cooking for the legislature, not the Palins.

Comment

Nice try.

As I stated Alaska has the highest per capita taxes in the nation - most of which are derived from the oil industry - and ultimately paid by the rest of us, as I stated. The census data quoted for the tax burden doesn't include the resource depletion tax and other oil taxes that are the source of 89% of Alaska's unrestricted revenue. The trick is that most of Alaska's taxes are not levied directly on Alaskan's, they are levied on the rest of us - they account for 75% of the cost per barrel of Alaskan oil.

Um, not so fast. If the taxes "are levied on the rest of us", then you have to divide the tax revenue by the number of oil consumers in entire US. I expect that would make Alaska the lowest taxing state per taxpayer.

Comment

It is the religious fanatacism that concerns me. More of G. W. Bush's view of the world. Religious fanatics ought to be barred from holding high public office. This is one of the reasons for the separation of church from state and state from church. Like one of the bumper stickers I posted says, "The last time we mixed politics and religion, people got burned at the stake."

Although it certainly got McCain the support of the far religious right and goes to show what a big factor that can be.

McCain's age and health are a concern, but he has been checked out and even after two terms, he would still be younger than my parents are now and they are both healthy and active.

And now I will throw out my suggestion for a running mate for McCain that I think would have been an interesting choice, but was never talked about. At least I never heard his name mentioned, Colin Powell. How old is he?

Comment

Working...
                              X