Bettas at Wal Mart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bettas at Wal Mart

I was in WalMart yesterday and found something very disturbing. I am sure most of you are familiar with the betta fish which comes in just about every color in the rainbow. They put them in vases with a peace lily on top and sell them that way. When I read the tag I was totally alarmed. It said the fish eat algae off the roots of the plant and to feed it only once a week.

Bettas are carnivorous, don't eat algae and there was no algae in the vase to begin with. In other words, anyone following the care tag will eventually starve the poor fish to death. Some of these tags also suggest not changing the water, which is also neccesary for the health of the fish. They are also a labyrinth fish which means they have to be able to come up to the top for air now and then or the can suffocate. If the water level is too high it won't have an air pocket for the fish to breathe from.

I will be going to the Land O Lakes WalMart later on today and talking with the store manager so that they can at least tell purchasers that the care tag can kill their fish. Evidently at this store the manager in the plant section is following the tag and feeding them only on Sundays.

Please, go check the Walmarts in your area for this same vase with the fish in it and ask to talk with the manager. Have them call any petstore for advice on how to care for the fish so they know you are being straight with them. Help me stop the poor fish from being abused.

I was in WalMart yesterday and found something very disturbing. I am sure most of you are familiar with the betta fish which comes in just about every color in the rainbow. They put them in vases with a peace lily on top and sell them that way. When I read the tag I was totally alarmed. It said the fish eat algae off the roots of the plant and to feed it only once a week.

Bettas are carnivorous, don't eat algae and there was no algae in the vase to begin with. In other words, anyone following the care tag will eventually starve the poor fish to death. Some of these tags also suggest not changing the water, which is also neccesary for the health of the fish. They are also a labyrinth fish which means they have to be able to come up to the top for air now and then or the can suffocate. If the water level is too high it won't have an air pocket for the fish to breathe from.

I will be going to the Land O Lakes WalMart later on today and talking with the store manager so that they can at least tell purchasers that the care tag can kill their fish. Evidently at this store the manager in the plant section is following the tag and feeding them only on Sundays.

Please, go check the Walmarts in your area for this same vase with the fish in it and ask to talk with the manager. Have them call any petstore for advice on how to care for the fish so they know you are being straight with them. Help me stop the poor fish from being abused.

Comment

for more info http://care.betta-fish.com.ar/
      i find this site very good
      http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/bettas/
      animals do have feelings too

Comment

Since they treat their employees like crap I'm not surprised that they'll treat a small fish that way. They don't care about people why should they care about a helpless fish?

While I can't seem to stop my wife from shopping there I refuse to have anything to do with the store.

I guess though I can make an exception here. Anything to give Wal-Mart management some hell. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
        NuTex

Comment

Yeah, my wife gets mad at me when I hear them page someone to "Live Fish" and I always say real loud, "You mean, the Half-Dead Fish?" so that other shoppers will hear me. Those tanks are atrotious! Any fish that dies in a tank releases bacteria into the water that can, and will, kill the other fish in a matter of days! If you leave a dead fish in a tank long enough, replacing the water is not enough as the bacteria remains in the pebbles and "plants" that usually sit at the bottom of the tank. To get rid of it you have to completely sterilize the tank and pebbles/plants! How many times have YOU seen a Wal-Mart employee sterilizing one of those tanks? NEVER! Of course, what do you expect from a minimum wage employee?

Comment

Working...
          X