2012--the next doomsday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012--the next doomsday

Ah yes, the fun of doomsayers. Every few years, we get a new date for doomsday. It is fun living through so many of them.

So what do you think of this one? Do you think Dec 21 2012 is a more "popular" date than past Apocalypse dates? Will there be a run on the survivalist gear around July?

I did watch a History or Discovery Channel show that did a report on some Astrological (including everyone's favorite soothsayer, Nostradamus) and astronomical happenings that will coincide with the upcoming date. Of the real-life occurrences, the one that really is interesting is that the solar cycle of sunspots is supposed to peak at the end of 2012.

There were also talks of the anti-Christ during the mythological parts of the show. That made me think--does this mean Obama is the anti-Christshockedshocked

Bob S.

Yeah...they even made a movie about it coming out this year.
    I haven't read about the mythology behind it; but I bet it'll be as big as Y2K.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/2012/

Comment

Not to mention that 2012 is a presidential election year, Summer Olympic Year, Leap Year, and the closest approach of Asteroid Toutatis! Run! Hide!

Last edited by Naturist Mark; 02-07-2009, 05:10 PM.

Comment

There is little proof of anything astronomical having any affect on what will happen on earth.

The Mayan Calendar theory is bullcrap also - it shows the end of an era, not the end of everything.

I guess we'll see come 2012. For now, people should try to focus on the present.

Comment

Originally posted by TheArtifact View Post
          There is little proof of anything astronomical having any affect on what will happen on earth.

The Mayan Calendar theory is bullcrap also - it shows the end of an era, not the end of everything.

I guess we'll see come 2012. For now, people should try to focus on the present.
          There is lots of evidence of astronomical events having an effect on Earth - including several mass extinctions. But yeah, there is no known object expected to strike the Earth anytime soon (Toutatis will be passing the Earth orbit at 18 times the distance of the Moon).

The Mayan Calendar is rather complex, counting years in simultaneous 260 and 365 day cycles that would repeat every 52 years. To date events over longer periods the Maya developed the "Long Count" that simply numbers each day from a date in 3114 BC. Each day is identified by a 5 digit number in a modified base 20 numerical system. Since a 6th digit is not used, it starts over again on December 21, 2012, just like an odometer. The restart of the Long Count is no more significant than the repetition of the months in our yearly calendar.

Notradamus is fun. His predictions seem so accurate - but they are only ever decoded afterwards! Too bad his clear predictions are not clear and precise enough to be understood ahead of time ... hmmmmm

Here's a fun website for the easily credulous: DoomsDay Information Guide

Comment

The one good thing about modern doomsday prophets is that, so far, they have had a 100% failure rate. I therefore feel 100% confident when I say that nothing will happen on that date. I also feel 100% confident that, on the day after, we will hear no more about that failed prediction, just like Nostradamus' failed July 1999 prophecy (Century X, Quatrain 72) and Y2K... funny how we heard no more of the hysterical ranting and raving from those "educated" people who kept telling us it would be the end of civilization? We also heard nothing after 5-5-2000, that was yet another date the doomsday prophets were crying about regarding a planetary alignment and how it was going to cause the Antarctic icecap to fall into the sea and flood the world...

I'll sleep in on 12-21-2012. And I won't miss a thing either. Then, it's back to work as usual...

Comment

I already bought my 2012 insurance. If the end of the world does come that day in december, atleast I'll have a nice check waiting for me on the other side.

Comment

I don't take the 2012 doomsday hype seriously, there's no reason to assume anything will happen. But you never know of course.... maybe Sarah Palin will be elected president in 2012, there's no way to world would survive that b:surprised:tch

Comment

The 2012 thing has been blown out of proportion. The actual teachings is not about the end of the world where the planet explodes. What is taught is that a change, a major change is coming and it has nothing to do with the planet exploding.

More a change where the energies of the earth, etc is changing. The vibration level of the planet is increasing which affects all life on the planet including us human. We just don't notice it as much due to living in concrete jungle as we travel around in metal monsters that wear round rubber feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternity View Post
                    I don't take the 2012 doomsday hype seriously, there's no reason to assume anything will happen. But you never know of course.... maybe Sarah Palin will be elected president in 2012, there's no way to world would survive that b:surprised:tch

Hysterical!

Comment

Originally posted by Eternity View Post

We would not only survive, some of us would welcome the common sense approach she brings and dare I say, thrive!!

Comment

There are some who believe that 2012 will not be an end but a shift - that the spiritual and intellectual nature of humanity will change during that year. MAYBE that will be the blessed nudist year and everyone will finally take off their clothes!!

I do believe that in my lifetime the world will become more nudist friendly. Maybe it's closer than we all thought?

Comment

If folks are referring to the Mayan Calendar ending in December of 2012, it is the end of an era and the beginning of another. It is not about "doomsday" as in the end of the world.

Nope, don't think I want to welcome anything about Sarah Palin as far as governance of a large mass of people. That is toooo scary!

Comment

I am inclined to believe in the idea of an end of an era rather than the end of the world. Either way, there is nothing we can do about it ahead of time, so live well in the meantime.

As for Sarah Palin leading.....that IS scary. :eek:

Comment

Spot on, Boreas! Nothing can be done no matter what 2012 has in store but to live well and happily in the meantime. All we have is today anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X