Brokeback mountain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brokeback mountain.

I rent Brokeback Mountain yesterday (dvd full screen version), (it is a movie that I also saw at theather). It seems to me that they cut the most beautiful part of the movie, when the two men were playing naked in the mountain.

The problem with the movie, espacially the dvd version is that we do not believe in the love story because we see pratically no moments of happiness between the two men. The dvd in Canada describe the movie as the victory of love, but the movie is more about an impossible love because of homophobia. The word homophobia is not even mention in the making of neither the cut scenes.

If you want my view point, the movie A Very Natural Thing (1973) is a better movie about homosexuality. The french movie Grande Ecole is also better.

The only positive view of homosexuality in the movie was when the two men played naked on the muontain. By cutting that, we do not even understand why theses two men are in love.

And when the owner of the sheep "watched" them, they are fully clothed and seems to fight. A normal person could not see that thoses two men were in love.

This movie needs more love scenes and more naked scenes to be credible, unfortunatly, most Americans do not seem able to take it.

I rent Brokeback Mountain yesterday (dvd full screen version), (it is a movie that I also saw at theather). It seems to me that they cut the most beautiful part of the movie, when the two men were playing naked in the mountain.

The problem with the movie, espacially the dvd version is that we do not believe in the love story because we see pratically no moments of happiness between the two men. The dvd in Canada describe the movie as the victory of love, but the movie is more about an impossible love because of homophobia. The word homophobia is not even mention in the making of neither the cut scenes.

If you want my view point, the movie A Very Natural Thing (1973) is a better movie about homosexuality. The french movie Grande Ecole is also better.

The only positive view of homosexuality in the movie was when the two men played naked on the muontain. By cutting that, we do not even understand why theses two men are in love.

And when the owner of the sheep "watched" them, they are fully clothed and seems to fight. A normal person could not see that thoses two men were in love.

This movie needs more love scenes and more naked scenes to be credible, unfortunatly, most Americans do not seem able to take it.

Comment

There was a reason this "sure-fire" Oscar for Best picture didn't win it's Lil Ol'Oscar and that was ... it was boring( inducing boring).

A hatchet job in the editing room could not make it any less boring so why not make it more boring?
      Well, if they took out the actors and dialouge and left the scenery, maybe it would be less boring ... no, it'd assuredly be less boring.

Comment

Are you referring to the scene when the characters Ennis and Jack jumped off a cliff and into the river? That was the only time I saw nudity between them (although very brief).

Not sure why that small scene would be edited out of the film.

-Fred

quote:
        Originally posted by Eric6420:

Comment

No, I am referring to the scene after the second time they had sleep together. They put off their clothes and played together, after that, their boss see them and understand that they are in love. But you have surly saw the cut version, the same that is in the dvd. In the cut version, we only see the little fight, and their boss see them, but in the uncut version, after the little fight, they undress and have fun in the nature, so when theit boss see them, it is a lot clearer that there is something sexual between the two men. I saw the movie in Quebec City. My memory is not perfect, but that's what I remember.

quote:
          Originally posted by fredm74:
          Are you referring to the scene when the characters Ennis and Jack jumped off a cliff and into the river? That was the only time I saw nudity between them (although very brief).

Not sure why that small scene would be edited out of the film.

-Fred

Comment

quote:
            In the cut version, we only see the little fight, and their boss see them, but in the uncut version, after the little fight, they undress and have fun in the nature, so when theit boss see them, it is a lot clearer that there is something sexual between the two men. I saw the movie in Quebec City. My memory is not perfect, but that's what I remember.

That's the difference then. You saw the international version of the movie in Quebec. The DVD is the American release, which was apparently edited per the dictates of the MPAA and supposed frail American sensibilities.

-Mark

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by nacktman:
              There was a reason this "sure-fire" Oscar for Best picture didn't win it's Lil Ol'Oscar and that was ... it was boring( inducing boring).

I haven't seen it as yet, but have heard pretty much the same thing. Yes, it was a gay-themed film, and it probably broke some new ground in mainstream Hollywood production, but on the other hand friends have told me the film ain't all that great.

In the not too distant future, I will make an informed judgement (I'll see the DVD).

So in the last three weeks I've rented =

"Good Night and Good Luck" (I give it 4 1/2 of five stars)

"I Walk the Line" (I give it 4 out of 5 stars)

"Capote" (I give it 3 1/2 out of 5) -- basically, it's a remake of "In Cold Blood", with a different angle and delivery, and with the focus primarily on Truman Capote and not on Perry Smith. If you saw the original "In Cold Blood" film, or read the book, you can also appreciate this film.

I've passed on Brokeback for the present. Perhaps sometime soon.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by Naturist Mark:
                quote:
                In the cut version, we only see the little fight, and their boss see them, but in the uncut version, after the little fight, they undress and have fun in the nature, so when theit boss see them, it is a lot clearer that there is something sexual between the two men. I saw the movie in Quebec City. My memory is not perfect, but that's what I remember.

That's the difference then. You saw the international version of the movie in Quebec. The DVD is the American release, which was apparently edited per the dictates of the MPAA and supposed frail American sensibilities.

-Mark

Unfortunately, in Canada we are considered part of America as far as DVD releases go so we tend to get the American "cut" (cut in the dual sense).

Comment

I have noticed that sometimes it is possible to have the choice of ordering a DVD of either the uncut version or the cut version (that will play in the format of the players in both USA and Canada). I do not know if this choice is possible with the DVD of Brokeback Mountain.

Comment

I'm not sure that there are two versions. I remember the scene described as both 'romping' about the camp shirtless - it would have been easy to mistake this for nude, especially since the nude rock jumping/skinny dipping scene was about the same time.

Ang Lee has stated in interviews that he originally intended to carefully edit out the frontal nudity, but didn't after paparrazi photos from the shooting of the scene were released. I can't find any mention of him cutting additional nudity from the American version.

-Mark

Comment

There is a "wide screen version" and a "full screen version", but I do not know about other variations of editing.

To view trailer of the movie, see;
                      http://www.movielink.com/store/web/detail/productDetail...del2&id=prod12980642

Comment

Chinese Get Around the Censorship of Movies
                        Including Brokeback Mountain

http://www.etaiwannews.com/FriendPrint.php?menu_item_id...iwan&dTitle=&isWhat=

Comment

BTW, there is full male frontal nudity in the "Mrs. Henderson Presents" [1] DVD. The movie is rated R in the U.S., but G (anyone can see it) in Quebec. (The rating in other parts of Canada ranges from PG to 14A). (I would have rated it PG, not for the nudity, but for the London blitz air raid scenes.)

BTW, Brokeback Mountain is rated between PG-13 and 14A in Canada whereas it is R in the U.S.

[1] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413015/

[2] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/

Comment

Photo from Brokeback Montain

Here is a photo where the two men swim naked in a river. That scene is not in the american version as far as I know.

I saw other posts in other forums that say that the american version had scenes cut.

What is also interesting is that some people say that the movie is full of sex and nudity and others complain that we do not see a lot of intimacy between the two men.

On the other hand, the lenght of the movie is 134 min everywhere I looked.

But it seems to me that the version I saw at theater was longer (more time) than the dvd version.

Comment

quote:
                              Photo from Brokeback Montain

Here is a photo where the two men swim naked in a river. That scene is not in the american version as far as I know.

That scene IS in the American version, but taken from a different angle. This photo was probably taken by a paparrazi hiding in the bushes.

Comment

Working...
                              X