Boston Magazine Cover With Nudity Sparks Outrage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Magazine Cover With Nudity Sparks Outrage

Boston Magazine Cover With Nudity Sparks Outrage.
    Phil McAndrew.

A magazine cover consisting of cartoons of naked people is raising quite a controversy in Boston.

While some say the latest issue of Boston's free Weekly Dig Magazine goes too far with images of people in the nude, the editors of the magazine say it's just art.

"This looks like something that belongs in an adult magazine," Roslindale resident Yves Pierre-Louis told WBZ.

"I think it's appalling to have something like this when kids are around," another person said.

The cover shows several unclothed men and women by a pool.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino was not impressed.

"It's totally irresponsible to have a photo like this in a paper that's widely distributed around our city," Menino said. "Young children can see it. It's not what we should be showing our young people."

"I think it's sick. It's a sick picture," Yves Pierre-Louis said. "I don't know what they're trying to portray."

The Weekly Dig's creative director, Tak Toyoshima, stands by the team's decision to use the picture as the magazine's cover.

"The point of the cover is to celebrate summer, the end of summer," Toyoshima said. "It's the last hurrah, get all your ya yas out and just have fun."
    Toyoshima says they weren't trying to offend anyone. He said they have all kinds of cover pictures and consider it art.

"Something like this is not to be sexual at all," he said. "They're nude, but there's nothing sexual happening."

Menino says he is going to look into whether he can remove the magazine dispenser boxes from nearby city buildings.

"That's part of the deterioration of our society to have things like this around," he said.

"He's got to do what he's got to do," Toyoshima said. "I can understand that. It's his realm. As long as he's not dictating what's on the cover, that's fine with me."

The magazine cover isn't connected to any article inside the Weekly Dig. Editors say artists send them pictures every day for their consideration.

They had this one for several weeks before deciding to use it for the end of summer edition.

This is an edited photograph of the cover of the latest edition of Boston's fee Weekly Dig Magazine, showing cartoons of naked people sitting by a pool.
    Attached Files

Re: Boston Magazine Cover With Nudity Sparks Outrage

I think that it's cool and I don't see anything "wrong" with it. I wonder if the editors decided to put it on the cover because they knew that it would cause a contaversy and thus draw attention to their magazine. I bet now that all the hub bub surrounding this has started, folks who never ever even looked at the magazine, much less knew that it existed, have now not only found out about the magazine, but have now sought out a copy for themselves.

Comment

Way to go Mayor Menino! After your comments the magazines will fly off the shelves. Free publicity like yours is priceless.

Now that you've taken the dirty mag away from the children... how about your city budget, organized crime, gangs in the schools, the drug trade in Boston -- you know, things you're actually responsible for controlling -- how're they going?

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkinpie View Post
        "That's part of the deterioration of our society to have things like this around," he said.
        Oh, brother.

Comment

What is sick is those peoples' views on normal, healthy, non-sexual nudity.

The mayor and those two closed-minded residents' description of the magazine cover drawing as "sick", "appalling" and "... not what we should be showing our young people." is pretty twisted if you ask me.

I'd love to ask Mayor Menino how he would explain to a child specifically why the sight of a human body is sick and appalling.

Comment

I would like to clear somethings up, I belong to another nudist website, and I ran across three story that was in the news, that I never saw or heard of on the regular news channels, I didn't see anyone had any threads on them, so I started the three threads on them for everyone to see and read, that may be they were'nt aware of it like me, I wasn't the one that wrote the stories or drew pictures of anyone, I just wanted to share the articles that I found, I do not live in Boston -Chicago areas or judge or discriminate any one.

1-----Nude Portait of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin Unveiled in Chicago----by Bruce Elliott
            Artdaily.org - The First Art Newspaper on the Net

Today's News
            October 3, 2008-------Nude Portait of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin Unveiled in Chicago.

2----Boston Magazine Cover With Nudity Sparks Outrage.
            Posted September 2, 2008
            Nude Illustration on Weekly Dig Cover 'Sparks Outrage'

Source Link: WBZ-TV
            http://wbztv.com/video/[email protected]

Nude Illustration on Weekly Dig Cover 'Sparks Outrage' | Association of Alternative Newsweeklies

3----Clinton To Host Bi-Partisan Nude Summit. by Caps News

CAP News | Clinton To Host Bi-Partisan Nude Summit | Satire & Parody

Comment

Originally posted by steve-o View Post
              I'd love to ask Mayor Menino how he would explain to a child specifically why the sight of a human body is sick and appalling.
              Ask him first how free condoms, metal detectors and armed guards in the Boston school system are somehow less a contribution to the degradation of society than a cartoon depiction of nude folks.

I have lived and worked in the Boston metro area and to have something like this come out of that man's mouth is laugh out loud funny it's so outrageous.

Comment

Well,I can easily understand how non-nudists would be offended by a magazine cover such as this. But as mentioned by the editor, there is nothing overtly sexual about these photos. We as nudists know and understand the difference between simple nudity and overt sexual behavior. But we all pretty much who will most likely be offended, the non-nudists naturally as well as the all too familiar conservatives. To a lot of people, the sight of a naked image of a person will automatically set them off while they probably don't even know the reason or concept of the image. But this is something that is going to happen as long as these concepts and principles continue to clash. Let's face it, there is always going to be those who are going to be offended when issues such as these come up.

Ken Palmer

Originally posted by Pumpkinpie View Post
                Boston Magazine Cover With Nudity Sparks Outrage.
                Phil McAndrew.

A magazine cover consisting of cartoons of naked people is raising quite a controversy in Boston.

While some say the latest issue of Boston's free Weekly Dig Magazine goes too far with images of people in the nude, the editors of the magazine say it's just art.

"This looks like something that belongs in an adult magazine," Roslindale resident Yves Pierre-Louis told WBZ.

"I think it's appalling to have something like this when kids are around," another person said.

The cover shows several unclothed men and women by a pool.

"It's totally irresponsible to have a photo like this in a paper that's widely distributed around our city," Menino said. "Young children can see it. It's not what we should be showing our young people."

"I think it's sick. It's a sick picture," Yves Pierre-Louis said. "I don't know what they're trying to portray."

The Weekly Dig's creative director, Tak Toyoshima, stands by the team's decision to use the picture as the magazine's cover.

"The point of the cover is to celebrate summer, the end of summer," Toyoshima said. "It's the last hurrah, get all your ya yas out and just have fun."
                Toyoshima says they weren't trying to offend anyone. He said they have all kinds of cover pictures and consider it art.

"Something like this is not to be sexual at all," he said. "They're nude, but there's nothing sexual happening."

Menino says he is going to look into whether he can remove the magazine dispenser boxes from nearby city buildings.

"He's got to do what he's got to do," Toyoshima said. "I can understand that. It's his realm. As long as he's not dictating what's on the cover, that's fine with me."

The magazine cover isn't connected to any article inside the Weekly Dig. Editors say artists send them pictures every day for their consideration.

They had this one for several weeks before deciding to use it for the end of summer edition.

This is an edited photograph of the cover of the latest edition of Boston's fee Weekly Dig Magazine, showing cartoons of naked people sitting by a pool.

Comment

Working...
                X