29 miners lives lost in west virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 miners lives lost in west virginia

i suppose most of us have heard of the tragic coal mine explosion in montcoal,wv. 25 killed, 2 critically injured, 4 missing. massey elect., who owns most of the mines in southern west virginia, have had several violations in the past year and month. enough that they coud have been shut down. today the four that were missing have been found dead in the mine not far from where the other 29 were found. may we all take a moment of silence to remember those affected and their families. remember "amazing grace".
    Last edited by nudenwv; 04-10-2010, 01:21 PM.

Re: 29 miners lives lost in west virginia

Massey has had over 3000 violations over the last few years. It has decided that fines are more economical than safety. It pled guilty to 10 criminal counts in a case leading from a previous event that resulted in two deaths. It's CEO spent $3 million dollars on attack ads against the chief justice of the WV Supreme Court who had ruled against Massey in another case - the judge who replaced him ruled in Massey's favor. CEO Blankenship's insistence that every decision made must have as its primary goal "getting more coal out of the ground" as inexpensively as possible and his unwillingness to follow regulatory requirements led two members of his board of directors to resign in 2007.
    One miner who worked in Massey mines most of his 25-year career said working for CEO Don Blankenship was "like living under a hammer. It's all about the bottom line, we all know that." The miner, who would only agree to speak with an ABC News reporter if his name was not used, said Blankenship believes in "stretching the men to the limit … they want every ounce out of the men that they can get."
    Massey gets away with massive violations and even criminal acts because as a corporation it can only be fined - and fines cost less than doing the right thing. Our Supreme Court says that corporations are legally persons, yet if a flesh and blood person had done what Massey has done, they would be spending several lifetimes in prison. Massey deserves the death penalty - it should be dissolved as a corporation, have its property and businesses sold to competitors, and the proceeds distributed to its former employees and the survivors of its victims.

Comment

Do you work in a mine? Both of my grandfathers worked in coal mines. Many of my relatives and friends work in coal mines. None of them were forced to enter the mines. Coal mining is a way of life for the brave and proud people working for a living. I am proud of all who chose to make their living deep in coal mines, for I am claustrophobic.

Comment

Sorry to hear of this news.

If the infractions by the company, were found to be related to the loss of life; the company could face lawsuits.
        They would have insurance coverage, but after enough claims, would find they could not get further coverage.
        This could close the company down.
        Yet sadly, lives would not be restored.

Comment

hi westie! thanks for the reply along with naturist mark. these types of stories effect everyone no matter where you are at. i did not work in the coal mines. we are further north in west virginia where steel was the main feature. now american steel is a thing of the past.

Comment

I am moving this to the Open Conversation forum. Misc is for nudist discussions.

Bob S.

Comment

My heart goes out to the families of those who died. I have heard of this company and especially Don Blankenship he has a reputaion as a slave driver and someone who doesn't give a crap about the men he sends down in those mines. Blankenship is a man who only cares about money in one account he even said any man not mining ie working on something concerning the safety of the mine itself would be fired. He only wanted to keep the coal coming out of the mine he said something to that effect. If Massey had bothered to put the money into keeping those men safe they would still be here today.

Comment

With President Obama's past work in "Commmunity Activism", I would not be surprised if he calls for the Mining Company to be shut down. Especially if the Federal Regulators investigation determines that the safety issues written up in the past months and WEEK before the accident contributed to or caused the explosion. I would also like to see CONGRESS pass laws allowing the Mine regulators to IMMEDIATELY Shut Down a mine for violations of certain safety rules. If the mine is shut down the company makes NO MONEY. This will hurt them at the bottom line more than silly fines.
                If the inspector finds that there is NOT good enough ventilation, or some other safety issue, he can shut the mine down right then and there. And the mine stays closed until ALL problems are corrected.

Comment

AMEN BROTHER!!

I wish he or someone would. After they broke the unions, again Massey and Blankenship, they made it quite clear they would fire anyone who dared to speak up for safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Naturist Mark View Post
                    Massey has had over 3000 violations over the last few years. It has decided that fines are more economical than safety. It pled guilty to 10 criminal counts in a case leading from a previous event that resulted in two deaths. It's CEO spent $3 million dollars on attack ads against the chief justice of the WV Supreme Court who had ruled against Massey in another case - the judge who replaced him ruled in Massey's favor. CEO Blankenship's insistence that every decision made must have as its primary goal "getting more coal out of the ground" as inexpensively as possible and his unwillingness to follow regulatory requirements led two members of his board of directors to resign in 2007.
                    One miner who worked in Massey mines most of his 25-year career said working for CEO Don Blankenship was "like living under a hammer. It's all about the bottom line, we all know that." The miner, who would only agree to speak with an ABC News reporter if his name was not used, said Blankenship believes in "stretching the men to the limit … they want every ounce out of the men that they can get."
                    Massey gets away with massive violations and even criminal acts because as a corporation it can only be fined - and fines cost less than doing the right thing. Our Supreme Court says that corporations are legally persons, yet if a flesh and blood person had done what Massey has done, they would be spending several lifetimes in prison. Massey deserves the death penalty - it should be dissolved as a corporation, have its property and businesses sold to competitors, and the proceeds distributed to its former employees and the survivors of its victims.
                    Well said. They have committed violations, paid the fines, and on to business as usual. But, I wonder if they have ever been shut down until a violation was corrected? I would think that OSHA would have the power to do that. Being shut down would hurt them more than a fine. It would only seem reasonable to me that if a mine had x number of major violations in x amount of time, that they could be shut down permanently. Basically, Blankenship just thumbs his nose at the regulators. Somehow, he should be held personally responsible for this disaster.

I don't know if any of you caught this one especially sad bit of news surrounding the mine disaster: One of the workers who died had spent 30 years in the mine and was scheduled to retire this Tuesday. Thanks to the corporate greed, he didn't get to have his retirement party.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi Bare View Post
                      Well said. They have committed violations, paid the fines, and on to business as usual. But, I wonder if they have ever been shut down until a violation was corrected? I would think that OSHA would have the power to do that. Being shut down would hurt them more than a fine. It would only seem reasonable to me that if a mine had x number of major violations in x amount of time, that they could be shut down permanently. Basically, Blankenship just thumbs his nose at the regulators. Somehow, he should be held personally responsible for this disaster.
                      The mining industry has MSHA which basically does the same thing as OSHA. To shut down a mine, even temporarily, the regulators must petition to a board. They cannot do it on their own.

Originally posted by Yogi Bare View Post
                      I don't know if any of you caught this one especially sad bit of news surrounding the mine disaster: One of the workers who died had spent 30 years in the mine and was scheduled to retire this Tuesday. Thanks to the corporate greed, he didn't get to have his retirement party.
                      Another Blankenship cost saving.

Comment

Originally posted by Kouak View Post
                        The mining industry has MSHA which basically does the same thing as OSHA. To shut down a mine, even temporarily, the regulators must petition to a board. They cannot do it on their own.
                        Thanks for the info! It's too bad that they don't have that power.

Comment

My heart goes out to all the families with the lost of their loved ones, my thoughts and prayers are with them all, may the peace of the lord be with them all, and may god give them the strength and courage to face their daily task, may he be a comforter in their time of needs.

Psalm 121

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.

My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.

He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand.

The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.

The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.

The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Comment

Working...
                          X