• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop vs soda

What do you say?

http://popvssoda.com:2998/

Qikdraw

P.S. I'm a 'pop' person myself.

I say 'pop' or the specific name of the drink. You can see how people tend to move around the country because this doesn't look like it is a purely regional thing.

Comment

When I was but a tad spending my summers down in Little Egypt all the kids down there called it "pop". But, where I spent most of my time over on the eastside from St. Louis, we called all sodas "coke".

We'd ask the guy for a "coke" and he'd say what kind. Then we'd call for a brand, like Bubble Up, or Orange Crush, but we'd never get a Coca Cola. The bottles were too small and we considered them mixers for alcohol drinks.

Fountain drinks were different, we'd ask for a coke and get coca cola, or else we'd get a phosphate--flavored.

If we'd get a bottled cola, it'd be Pepsi or RC. Big bottles.

We'd hang around construction sites to collect caste off bottles and pool our money for ViceRoy cigarettes (cheapest) at 12-cents a pack.

Bottle caps were different then. They had cork in them and the little punks would pry the cork out and put the cap on their t-shirt or ball caps like a button after you pressed the cork back in from the backside to hold it on.

We also played a variation of one-o-cat called bottle cap ball. You used a sawed off broomstick for a bat and the pitcher would sail the bottle cap in and you'd try to hit it.

Some guys were really nasty and they'd soak the caps in water or oil overnight to give them more weight. That was considered cheating.

Lefty Connors was a real jerk who'd pry the cork out, pack in some mud, let it dry, put the cork back in and sail in a sinker that came in about eye-level and then tail off and down away.

Right hand batters could not lay off or hit it. Left handers just bailed out on it.

One day, Billy Rasmussen, the alderman's son, reached out and golfed one about 20-yeads and the dirt flew when he hit the cap so hard that the cork came flying out one way and the dirt every which way. When he realized what Lefty had been doing he went after him with that broom stick. I'll bet Lefty is still booking it.

But between pop and sody, I'm definitely the guy who says "Soda".

Comment

I always thought this was a difference between Canadian and US English. Canadians say "pop" and Americans say "soda"....or so I thought. I grew up next to Michigan, so apparently my views were skewed!

So to answer the question....pop, or the actual name brand as appropriate.

Comment

"Icehouse"

Comment

Here in England I've never heard the word soda used, it's either pop, fizzy drinks or soft drinks.

Comment

I'm midwestern through and through, so of course it is POP.

The maps are interesting, right in the middle is a big circular anomaly - the St. Louis linguistic bulge. You would think this section of the midwest would be most clearly influenced linguistically by the south, but it seems there is a strong New England connection there. A clue is the other anomalous midwestern region centered around Milwaukee. The Common connection is obviously Beer.

In my own State of Ohio I note that although the entire state is overwhelmingly "Pop" land, the four counties with the most significant number of "Soda" speakers are Franklin, Hamilton, Montgomery and Summit. The first 3 contain the cities of Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton - each of which has a famous German heritage. Summit County is the home of Akron, Ohio a city which today is not noted for its German heritage, but the area around Akron and to the south was largely settled in the 19th century by German immigrants from Pennsylvania - indeed the rural areas in the region remain today the world epicenter of Amish and 'Pennsylvania Dutch' (which is German) culture.

New England is Soda land, and much of it had large Germanic minorities if not majorities in past centuries - it was not just in Pennsylvania and New Amsterdam York. There was even talk during the Revolution of making German the official language of the new nation since it was the language of nearly as many colonists as English.

So, all this analysis suggests that "Soda" drinking as opposed to "pop" or "Coke" drinking has linguistic roots in the influence of 18th and 19th century German immigrants on regional vernacular. That begs the question ... what do German's call soft drinks? Apparently: Limonade. Oy vey!

There doesn't seem to be a German connection to any of the popular terms used for soft drinks (except seltzer) in the US, but we can make a strong argument for a negative correlation ... "pop" in German vernacular is a brief sexual encounter ... so German speakers would be more likely to choose 'soda' as word of choice for fizzy drinks.

-Mark

Comment

Well, here in the cradle of the industry we all call them by the brand name here in NC we have Cheerwine, Sundrop, SevenUp, Pepsi and Royal Crown all as 'home' drinks (not to mention several dozen more smaller labels), so we all just say the name of the drink we wanted at the time.

Comment

I grew up in St. Louis and still live in the region and have always called it soda.

I lived in Kansas City Missouri for a few years, and I thought they called it soda, even though MJ_KC in the post above calls it pop.

Maybe we can call it "soda-pop" which I have heard it called rarely throughout the country.

Comment

I normally say "coke" and sometimes "soft drink". Usually I'd use the latter if I'm grocery shopping and getting two or three kinds as opposed to one coca-cola or pepsi.

Comment

Originally posted by David77:
                      I grew up in St. Louis and still live in the region and have always called it soda.

I lived in Kansas City Missouri for a few years, and I thought they called it soda, even though MJ_KC in the post above calls it pop.

Maybe we can call it "soda-pop" which I have heard it called rarely throughout the country.
                      I have also called it soda-pop, but not very often. Usually I would call it 'Sprite'. I am drinking some right now.

I always associate 'soda' with 'baking soda', so that is why I tend to call it 'pop'.

Comment

pop here! had a buddy that moved his family from here to illinois. he said his boy picked up soda. definately depends what area you're in.

Comment

If we'd get a bottled cola, it'd be Pepsi or RC. Big bottles.
                          I remember the radio commercial song gingle which stated;

Pepsi Cola hits the spot,
                          Twelve full ounces,
                          That's a lot;
                          Twice as much for a nickle too,
                          Pepsi Cola is the thing for you.

Comment

When I was growing up in Nashville, Tennessee every soft drink was a "Coke". Like usmc1 said was the case where he was in St. Louis. However, over the last 5-10 years, I noticed that more people began to take "Coke" literally and so a shift to saying "Soda" occurred. I assume it was because all of those darn Yankees moving in...

I moved to Kansas City, Kansas last year and have found that saying "Coke" seems to literally mean "Coca Cola" to most people I order from. I can also say "Soda" and then they will ask which kind.

Interesting map, Mark. It is interesting to see things mapped out like that.

Stay nude!

bg

Comment

I grew up in Arkansas, Louisiana and then Missouri. All 3 of these states strongly prefer the term 'soda', but for some reason I have always preferred 'pop'. I live in Kansas now and the preference is 'pop'.

Around here if you ask for a Coke, you will get a coca-cola and won't even be asked if you meant something else.

Comment

Working...
                              X