Morning Boners!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Boners!

When you go to sleep naked do you wake up and get a boner? I do!

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by JD Rocks:

Alot of guys do.. but sleeping naked has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Nearly all males could make that claim.

It is a secondary physiological response to a hormonal cycle and not a sexualy induced erection...it's kind of tied into the same reason that we wake up in the morning at all, or the reason we go to bed at night. Part of waking up is re-establishing blood pressures, when your body does this there are blood flow changes, and erections can and do occur. The peak of the cortisol cycle is just before waking.

Here's some keywords to Google: Cortisol, REM, morning erection, sleep cycles, waking

Comment

It has nothing to do with sleeping naked.

It is very common for men to wake up with a morning "urinary" erection - this is not sexual in any way, it is the result of pressure on the prostate gland from a full bladder. The erection usually subsides after sitting up for a short time - presumedly in this position the prostate is less "pressured" by the full bladder. If not, a towel will get you safely to a commode (or bush) if you are in a situation where you don't wish to be exposed.

-Mark

Comment

OK, looks like the doc and I have competing theories. I bow to his medical expertise (but I still suspect a full bladder is the culprit )

-Mark

Comment

Hmmm?...I thought it was supposed to be normal and healthy for males to have several erections during a nights sleep..not just when waking or when a bladder is full?...sometimes accompanied by nocturnal emmissions (wet dreams)

Comment

Yep I get'em every morning without fail. And thanks to DoctorSurferDude, I now know why. and here I thought I was overly wierd.

Comment

oh yes! great way to start the day.

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Naturist Mark:
                    OK, looks like the doc and I have competing theories. I bow to his medical expertise (but I still suspect a full bladder is the culprit )

-Mark

Mark,

I always thought it was (sometimes anyway) caused by a full bladder as well, to prevent uhhh "pissing oneself" during sleep. During a full erection, urine cannot flow through the penis (built in safety measure).

Comment

It's quite fascinating how we are creatures of cycles....and it sounds earthy, but we are very tied into nature.

The sun rises and sets....and we rise and sleep. The pattern of melatonin release is actually in direct response to sunlight. This pattern is established early and is known as circadian rhythm (sleep/wake cycle). It is also linked up with pituitary release of hormones, most specifically the cyclical hormone in charge of all else, Cortisol. Cortisol controls thyroid hormones, which dictates metabolism and hunger patterns. It controls sex hormones, which controls ovulation and maintainance of genital functions. It sends signals to the adrenal gland which in turn releases more hormones that help control blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, etc (which change when we awaken). Experiments where subjects lived isolated from day/night patterns demonstrated messed up sleep patterns, messed up eating patterns, agitation, and major depression. This cycle is the cornerstone of life as we know it.

There is a second part to the equation which I did't mention before. That's REM sleep. There's different phases of sleep...1,2,3,4 and REM. Erections occur a few times during the night, during REM sleep. There is this thing called "sexual awakening" which is a hormonal awakening that ushers in puberty (but occurs long before you can see any changes). This hormonal awakening occurs ALWAYS at night, and if I remember correctly during REM sleep. So undoubtably REM is also linked up with the rhythms of this hormonal symphony of life and associated with these non-sexual erections. In that experiment of no exposure to day/night cycles REM patterns ended up becoming all frazzled and unpredictable too.

The universe is like one giant clock, we hvae seasons, we have tides, sunlight marks the days, moonlight marks the night, our brains follow in suit, and command our bodies to join in the dance. It's really almost predictable...yet utterly fascinating!

I hope that's not overkill....I just think it's amazing.

Comment

It is true...during a full erection you cannot pee. But with these morning erections, you kind of CAN, like if you sort of bend over...hehe. That's one easy difference to establish that these morning woodies are not the same as a sexually motivated erection. It's a non-sexual erection... unless there were "other factors".

If a full bladder caused an erection, then we would be in trouble throughout the day, or on long trips.

Older fellows often get prostate enlargement, which causes a back up of pressure into the bladder and can lead to incontinence. This prostate enlargement is also associated with decreased ability to get and maintain an erection. In it's healthy state it stores fluid that helps with ejaculation and swells (at the right time) during sexual arousal to keep the pee back in the bladder, since pee mixing with sperm would kill the sperm.

Comment

Quite frankly, I wake up with a welcome addition every morning and relish the feeling before it ebbs. However, I attribute it to being related to the early morning Rooster who wants me to rise with the rising sun.

SLO

Comment

It happens all the time. It's part of being a male. It's healthy and quite natural. It's unfortunate society feels that erections are something dirty and implies sex which most of time it has nothing to do with sex or being nude..........

-Fred

quote:
                            Originally posted by slo:
                            Quite frankly, I wake up with a welcome addition every morning and relish the feeling before it ebbs. However, I attribute it to being related to the early morning Rooster who wants me to rise with the rising sun.

SLO

Comment

It is true that morning erections are usually NON-SEXUAL in nature. Linked to REM and Cortisol cycles.

Mid-day erections are usually SEXUAL, society usually encounters those and thus the "dirty" connotation.

Erections displayed on a beach is never ok and should not be accepted. Sunshine, sand, and water doesn't cause an erection

Comment

Working...
                              X