X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Party Candidate Cheered 9/11 Deaths

This is one very sick man!

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...003688-cp.html

VANCOUVER (CP) - A Green candidate for the next federal election says he was just being "symbolic" when he wrote a column in 2002 cheering the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Kevin Potvin said Friday it should be obvious that he wasn't happy with the deaths of the thousands killed that day. Potvin is the publisher and editor of the alternative Vancouver newspaper The Republic.

In November 2002, he wrote a column saying that when he saw the first of the World Trade Centre towers fall Sept. 11, 2001, "there was a little voice inside me that said 'Yeah!'

"When the second tower came down the same way, that little voice said 'Beautiful.'

"When the visage of the Pentagon appeared on the TV with a gaping and smoking hole in its side, that little voice had nearly taken me over and I felt an urge to pump my fist in the air."

The column goes on to say "I know lots of people were killed. But then again, I see lots of people getting killed whenever I turn the TV news on, and frankly, it doesn't really get me anymore."

Potvin said Friday he didn't mean he was dismissing the deaths.

"If you read the story that I wrote, you'll notice that I'm talking about it on a symbolic level," he said.

"I go to great pains to make clear that I'm not talking about the deaths of anybody. After all, as you can imagine, I'm a human being. I'm a father, I'm a hockey dad, I'm a businessman, I'm a community leader. I'm obviously not going to be revelling in the deaths of anybody."

In his column, Potvin said the number of people killed on Sept. 11, 2001, isn't the reason why those attacks were such an important event.

Lots of people die every day in lots of places like Rwanda and in the United States, he wrote.

"The only reason Sept. 11 merits so much attention is because the targets were so supremely symbolic. Corporatism and militarism were struck that morning, and that's why it's such big news."

He also wrote that he is not alone in his belief.

But on Friday, Potvin appeared insulted that anyone would suggest his column meant he was jubilant about the violence and killing. He noted he entitled the column A Revolting Confession because he was repelled by his own thoughts.

"Obviously, as a human to human here, you know that I'm not using beautiful in that sense," he said in an interview.

After parts of his column were reproduced in newspaper articles Friday, Potvin issued a clarification but he never disavowed his sentiments in the statement or a following interview.

"If you're asking 'do I weasel away from things I've said in the past?' No, I'm a man of my word and I stand by what I say," he said.

"I don't always agree with what I say. . . I change my mind when new information comes along. I'm a politician who changes my mind."

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May said she found the statements in Potvin's column "shocking."

She wondered whether news reports had taken him out of context and said she'd give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

But she added: "If those reflect his real views, he will not be a candidate for the Green Party."

Potvin said he intends to run, despite the controversy.

He said the House of Commons is precisely the place for debate on differing ideas.

"Don't you think the Parliament of Canada requires people that are free thinkers, independent thinkers and people that bring other points of view to the table besides those that are commonly accepted and those that are credentialed by the newspaper columnists?"

A quote from another article on the subject:

"Mr. Potvin said in a telephone interview last night that he is now skeptical that the events of 9/11 were entirely the work of terrorists.

"I have no idea what happened on that day, but it's certainly not the story that Washington propagates."

Mr. Potvin, who was recently acclaimed as a Green party candidate, is today meeting with voters to discuss "9/11 truth and its implications for Canadian foreign policy" at a downtown Vancouver cafe."

This is one very sick man!

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...003688-cp.html

VANCOUVER (CP) - A Green candidate for the next federal election says he was just being "symbolic" when he wrote a column in 2002 cheering the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Kevin Potvin said Friday it should be obvious that he wasn't happy with the deaths of the thousands killed that day. Potvin is the publisher and editor of the alternative Vancouver newspaper The Republic.

In November 2002, he wrote a column saying that when he saw the first of the World Trade Centre towers fall Sept. 11, 2001, "there was a little voice inside me that said 'Yeah!'

"When the second tower came down the same way, that little voice said 'Beautiful.'

"When the visage of the Pentagon appeared on the TV with a gaping and smoking hole in its side, that little voice had nearly taken me over and I felt an urge to pump my fist in the air."

The column goes on to say "I know lots of people were killed. But then again, I see lots of people getting killed whenever I turn the TV news on, and frankly, it doesn't really get me anymore."

Potvin said Friday he didn't mean he was dismissing the deaths.

"If you read the story that I wrote, you'll notice that I'm talking about it on a symbolic level," he said.

"I go to great pains to make clear that I'm not talking about the deaths of anybody. After all, as you can imagine, I'm a human being. I'm a father, I'm a hockey dad, I'm a businessman, I'm a community leader. I'm obviously not going to be revelling in the deaths of anybody."

In his column, Potvin said the number of people killed on Sept. 11, 2001, isn't the reason why those attacks were such an important event.

Lots of people die every day in lots of places like Rwanda and in the United States, he wrote.

"The only reason Sept. 11 merits so much attention is because the targets were so supremely symbolic. Corporatism and militarism were struck that morning, and that's why it's such big news."

He also wrote that he is not alone in his belief.

But on Friday, Potvin appeared insulted that anyone would suggest his column meant he was jubilant about the violence and killing. He noted he entitled the column A Revolting Confession because he was repelled by his own thoughts.

"Obviously, as a human to human here, you know that I'm not using beautiful in that sense," he said in an interview.

After parts of his column were reproduced in newspaper articles Friday, Potvin issued a clarification but he never disavowed his sentiments in the statement or a following interview.

"If you're asking 'do I weasel away from things I've said in the past?' No, I'm a man of my word and I stand by what I say," he said.

"I don't always agree with what I say. . . I change my mind when new information comes along. I'm a politician who changes my mind."

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May said she found the statements in Potvin's column "shocking."

She wondered whether news reports had taken him out of context and said she'd give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

But she added: "If those reflect his real views, he will not be a candidate for the Green Party."

Potvin said he intends to run, despite the controversy.

He said the House of Commons is precisely the place for debate on differing ideas.

"Don't you think the Parliament of Canada requires people that are free thinkers, independent thinkers and people that bring other points of view to the table besides those that are commonly accepted and those that are credentialed by the newspaper columnists?"

A quote from another article on the subject:

"Mr. Potvin said in a telephone interview last night that he is now skeptical that the events of 9/11 were entirely the work of terrorists.

"I have no idea what happened on that day, but it's certainly not the story that Washington propagates."

Mr. Potvin, who was recently acclaimed as a Green party candidate, is today meeting with voters to discuss "9/11 truth and its implications for Canadian foreign policy" at a downtown Vancouver cafe."

Comment

This is what you have to expect from radicals.

Sorry if anyone is offended, but the radical left is as dangerous as the Taliban radical right.

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by UpstateNYBill:
        This is what you have to expect from radicals.

Sorry if anyone is offended, but the radical left is as dangerous as the Taliban radical right.

I am absoulutely and truly splitting my sides and drying the sprayed coffee off the monitor over this one.

Hey, MoBoy according to this guy, upyonderBill, you're a part of the radical left since you are skeptical of 9/11, and think maybe the gubmint had a hand in it.

Welcome buddy, I knew some day we'd convert you.

UpthereBill, I am part of the radical left, with the scars and FBI file to prove it, and I got to tell you dude, Green guy, the subject of this tale is out there on his own, a free agent of whackiness, stupidity and insensivity.

And those stories about 9/11 being the work of our government--well pal, they come from the fanciful extreme right, not the left.

We on the left, along with many centrists, have a great deal of confidence that this administration could have and should have "connected the dots" and rolled up the terrorist cells who perpetrated 9/11 before they had a chance to act.

But back to the Green guy. He is just a jerk, in my mind similar to the guys with bottles of fetuses outside abortion clinics shrieking their bile at young women facing a tormenting decision, choosing a very stupidly insensitive way to try to make his point. That's all! Just a jerk!

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by usmc1:

We on the left, along with many centrists, have a great deal of confidence that this administration could have and should have "connected the dots" and rolled up the terrorist cells who perpetrated 9/11 before they had a chance to act.
          That is Before they ended up starting a war in a country which has been shown over and over again not to have been significantly involved with Al-Qaeda (BEFORE THE MORONIC WAR MONGERS' MORONIC INVASION THAT IS). nor to have stockpiles of wmds --U.N. inspectors confirmed that before the moronic radical american right's beloved invasion.
          (Kevin)

But back to the Green guy. He is just a jerk, in my mind similar to the guys with bottles of fetuses outside abortion clinics shrieking their bile at young women facing a tormenting decision, choosing a very stupidly insensitive way to try to make his point. That's all! Just a jerk![/QUOTE]

Just a small insignificant distraction-- like a guy who flips ya the bird as he cuts into your lane --no point in getting worked up over him when the really dangerous, hypocritical, deceitful, corrupt creeps currently in the white house are wasting our time and tax dollars and many many more human lives than were lost in the World Trade Center.

The mass of people who are associated with a political party have no control over who decides to run and associate themselves with the name of that political party--and end up getting a totally negligible fraction of the vote in so many cases. The choice they have is the same as any one else: either to vote for the candidate or not.

A lot of these fringe activists are basically "Fox news fodder". Guys like Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity love to do stories over and over again about them and do more than imply that they are typical representatives of the left, liberals, and even ask why centrists aren't jumping on to the right wing bandwagon (and increasing their salaries by increasing their ratings).
          So, I think sometimes they owe the right at least as much for the attention they get as they do to their own supporters.

Peace and Impeachment,
          Kevin

Comment

Mr. Potivin, the candidate referred to above, is no longer a candidate. The Green Party leader has cancelled his candidacy:
            http://www.publiceyeonline.com/archives/002343.html

Comment

Working...
            X