This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Katrina

It looks like the Gulf Coast, Loisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi in particular, are going to have to brace for one of the strongest hurricanes to form in the Atlantic Basin.

She is currently a category 5 storm, the worst, with winds at 175 mph and gusts over 200. To compare, Hurricane Andrew that devastated South Florida 13 years ago, registered a low of 922 mbars of pressure. Katrina is registering 906. The lower the pressure, the worse the storm.

Let's hope and pray that everyone can make it out safe.

Bob S.

It looks like the Gulf Coast, Loisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi in particular, are going to have to brace for one of the strongest hurricanes to form in the Atlantic Basin.

She is currently a category 5 storm, the worst, with winds at 175 mph and gusts over 200. To compare, Hurricane Andrew that devastated South Florida 13 years ago, registered a low of 922 mbars of pressure. Katrina is registering 906. The lower the pressure, the worse the storm.

Let's hope and pray that everyone can make it out safe.

Bob S.

Comment

If you stay it will probably blow off what clothes you have on.....This is a Major deadly storm headed for the gulf states. Head for higher ground!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063708/

http://www.foxnews.com/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167270,00.html

Comment

yes! our prayers and thoughts are with those in the path. hope everyone makes it through alright.

Comment

Hope New Orleans survives.

Reports have power outages and holes ripped in the roof of the Super Dome.

Comment

That's right. Hopefully, the damage doesn't reach the worst-case scenarios that have been all over the news these past few days.

My sympathies go out to the families.

Stuart

Comment

I managed to survive Ivan last Sept with $8000 damage, and then here comes Dennis. Heck I still had work to do on my house from before. But Dennis was nice to me and I had no damage, but being on the outer bands of Katrina I have now about $2000 more damage. I think Pensacola has a hurricane magnet in the downtown area. Katrina is still going on here and I may even have more damage before tonight.

Your friend,
              Randy

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by Sol-Searcher:
                I think Pensacola has a hurricane magnet in the downtown area.

My mom agrees with you.. she lives just outside Pensacola (Milton) and has been hit three times in the past year. During Ivan she was flooded in chest deep water and lost her car. The friends she was staying with also lost their cars and their house was a total loss as well.

She's *seriously* considering selling her house and moving to another state.

Comment

Hang in there Floridians, in a month or two, all will calm back down and the hurricane season will be over until next July or so. Good Luck.
                  Nudeinbama

Comment

I was in Sint Maarten when category 4 hurricane LUIS hit on september 5 1995. What an amazing power and awefull spectacle! Unfortunately the brunt passed after dark, daylight showed the devastation. As if a bomb had blasted many places clean out. 95% of all the yachts in [the always been a safe hurricane hole] lagoon where sunk or blown ashore.
                    Ancient Chinese thought that natural disasters where the finger of god to punish bad government. And indeed, in Sint Maarten all shanty towns, getthos without sewage and hygien, grown bigger and untenable over the last decades where blown away in one night. Lax governement had allowed them to expand unchecked with illegal immigrants from poorer islands. The 400+ dead where never announced, officially there were only 8 dead.
                    Likewise Katrine may be a old testament's divine punishment to the US government that is creating too much suffering in the place it gets its oil from, Iraq.

Comment

Zen, how can you politicize a natural disaster? That is low.

It seens as if The Big Easy was spared the worst they could have received. Instead, the extreme Eastern shore of Louisiana got the worst, followed by Mississippi and Alabama.

I believe I last heard 65 officially dead. But that is most certainly going to rise.

Bob S.

Comment

I can not politicize a natural disaster, the ancient Chinese did, but I can try to see a link.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by Captain Zen:
                          I can not politicize a natural disaster, the ancient Chinese did, but I can try to see a link.

You just did. Interesting how everything you post has this sort of a view.

Comment

Hurricane Katrina has devastated the gulf coast area...if anyone would like to help with the relief efforts...I recommend a CASH donation to the American Red Cross at 1-800-HELP NOW or go to their website at http://www.redcross.org ...Thanks

Comment

What goes around, comes around.......

Comment

Working...
                              X