Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An amazing new revolution!!

http://www.thatvideosite.com/video/3437

I have to get on this!! I wonder what it will be like in teh future?!?!

Qikdraw

Qikdraw

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by Qikdraw:

Qikdraw

Very cool! You probably know this, Qikdraw, but Peter Mansbridge, the anchorman, is still our national news anchor for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, and the reporter, Bill Cameron, sadly died last year.

Wow - to think that newscast is only 13 years old, and there are kids these days who don't know what life was before the Internet!

Comment

Interesting concept but , I don't think it's ever gonna fly.

Not that many people have a real use for a computer in their homes and even fewer would need to access information with one.

It's just of the CB radio of the 90's.

Steve

Comment

I actualy had a succsesfull (in his mind) business owner tell me just last year that the internet just wont be a viable thing. "why, I cant even get a high speed connection here at my home. It'll never revolutionize our lifes the way they expect.I live to close to a metropolitian area"(???)

he just could not see the potential (no vision)
          this was when i was interviewing him to partner with me in a business venture involving the internet and several big names i work with.

he went on to brag about his own selfmade-ness and I knew he was not going to be a good partner and sent him packing.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Segnet:
            I actualy had a succsesfull (in his mind) business owner tell me just last year that the internet just wont be a viable thing. "why, I cant even get a high speed connection here at my home. It'll never revolutionize our lifes the way they expect.I live to close to a metropolitian area"(???)

this was when i was interviewing him to partner with me in a business venture involving the internet and several big names i work with.

he went on to brag about his own selfmade-ness and I knew he was not going to be a good partner and sent him packing.

Back in 1985, I had a chance to aquire a retired mainframe computer from a city for free. At the time, there were many BBS systems available, and I saw an opportunity to develop a "Mega BBS" which could hold thousands of files. I discussed the idea with my friend Joe (computer geek) and then with my father. Joe thought it was a great idea. We would set up a system in one town, and expand to eventually cover the entire state, tying them together. Dad was not so enthusiastic. I had just graduated high school the year before, and this was before high school graduates knew anything. Needless to say, dad squashed the idea, and I did not end up developing what would have been the first ISP in Massachusetts. I currently earn significantly less than $500,000 a year. Thanks Dad.

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by Segnet:

Yeah, it blows my mind that there are still people who somehow think the internet is a useless passing fad. I imagine there were such people who shunned electricity and the telephone for a decade or two. Like you said - no vision. I have met these types too here and there. A business owner 5 years ago said he didn't need a website for his national mail order exotic plant nursery (although his competitors were overwhelmed by profits with their basic websites). Now, of course, he has a website, but only as much as he has too. I've found that most businessmen aren't particularly visionary... just ambitious and go through rigorous trial and error until they finally get it right.

Ketchum, how about this: When I was a university student, I discovered this internet thing and thought it was pretty cool. Of course it was still really basic... I remember all this "gopher" stuff. I didn't know all the technical details of how I was navigating the internet at the time, but I noticed that everything came up (lists of links/sites) in alphabetical order. I thought a really good business would be to start an online bookstore - and that it's name should start with an "A", so it would be at the top of these lists. I thought of "Aaron's Books", but the word "Amazon" was one of the names I was considering. I didn't tell anyone at the time, and certainly don't think Jeff Bezos found my notes.

I think there are still great online empires to be built. There are many niches that still aren't "done right". I look at MySpace as an amazing late bloomer. Many other sites, including Yahoo have always had profiles, but MySpace put the profile (& social networking) on steroids, identified with the youth generation and the site has exploded with popularity.

Comment

Working...
              X