Saddam is dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddam is dead.

According to Fox News: Saddam is dead now.

Good!

Comment

it's about time they did him in for his crimes.

Comment

I used to tell my kids, people deserve to get what they've earned. Saddam earned getting his necked stretched as they used to say in the cowboy movies.

But...as columnist George Will said at the start of the Iraq war in 2003, "The first task of government is to establish a monopoly on violence." Saddam had done that. Unfortunately, the U.S. has not.

Comment

Does this mean the the 'mission' is complete and that the troops can all come home?

Comment

One ought not confuse retribution with justice. Eventually, to really tangle the metaphore, the chickens always do come home to roost.

Comment

I personally do not think he should have been executed, ad this seems to be the general opinion in the UK. Milosovic was being tried for war crimes and genocide in the Hague but died of natural causes while in custody. I wonder if he would have been executed?

Saddam has become a martyr for those fighting and as such retaliatory violence will increase. His death will not solve anything, and the troops will not be coming home just yet!

Of course this is all just my own thoughts, and I truely wish that all those fighting valiantly in the cause of social freedom and democracy could come home soon.

Rick

Comment

I wonder if his last meal was a PORK sandwich!

Comment

I am impressed that they tried him for one event, found him guilty and exacted punishment.

They didn't try to sort out and prove every possible evil deed he may have done during his decades long rule -- dragging on for years -- like they would have at The Hague.

[aside]Why is it called "The" Hague? And what is a Hague anyway?[/aside]

And I agree.... there's no further reason for troops to be in Iraq. It is no longer a threat to foreign national security. No more so than Sudan.

Propping up the government and training for self-security is a U.N. job. If the Iraqi Parliament needs help from the international community, they can ask for it.

Time's up. Mission over.

Comment

Mike, this is taken from Wikipedia:

"The Hague (with capital T; Dutch: originally 's-Gravenhage, officially Den Haag) is the third-largest city in the Netherlands after Amsterdam and Rotterdam, with a population of 475,580 (as of January 1, 2006) (population of agglomeration: 600,000) and an area of approximately 100 km². It is located in the west of the country, in the province South Holland, of which it is also the provincial capital.

The Hague is the actual seat of government, but, somewhat anomalously, not the official capital of the Netherlands, a role set aside by the Dutch constitution for Amsterdam. The Hague is the home of the Eerste Kamer (first chamber) or Senaat and the Tweede Kamer (second chamber), respectively the upper and lower houses forming the "Staten Generaal" (literally the "Estates-General"). Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands lives and works in The Hague. All foreign embassies and government ministries are located in the city, as well as the Hoge Raad der Nederlanden (The Supreme Court), the Raad van State (Council of State) and many lobbying organisations."

As to why it is called "The" Hague, there are many towns and cities in Europe with the prefix "The" such as La Rochelle in France. Perhaps it may also have been historically to distinguish it from the region also called Hague in France.

I always like to find out new things about the world!

Rick

Comment

Well, Rick, thanks for the research. I knew vaguely what it was, but not the detail or history.

As for finding out new things about the world, I notice that you're the only one (so far) who opposed Hussein's execution, and you're the only one (so far) who's not an American.

Probably not a coincidence. We Americans are a violent people. And we have an obsession about declaring winners and losers.

Anyway... nice to meet you. Welcome to our nude and sometimes raucous corner of the Internet.

Comment

It is a very good thing that Saddam was executed quickly for one of his first and least serious crimes against humanity. If he had been kept alive to stand trial for his later crimes - such as gassing his own Kurdish citizens awkward evidence about WHO sold him the material and know-how to produce WMD's would be introduced. Awkward evidence about who green lighted and supported his unprovoked attacks against Iran. Awkward evidence about who provided intelligence to him about his enemies.

Talk about inconvenient truths! Whew!

-Mark

Comment

I'm also glad he is dead. I think a lot more of his minions need to be hanged publicly. I think the US should get the Hell out of there before that happens though because the country is going to implode!

In the vacuum following the exodus of US forces the rival factions will begin such a wholesale slaughter it will make all the preceding violence look tame by comparison.

In the Arab world compassion is taken for a sign of weakness. The only successful rule in that part of the world is by the sword. Any government that shows a sign of weakness will be toppled by those desiring power. The US doesn't have the will nor the mind set to do this. Because of this debatable character flaw they will never be in a position to impose their collective will on that part of the world, we don't have the stomach for it. Once you accept that basic premise you can see we have no alternative but to get out of there as expeditiously as possible because we are in a no win situation. The vacuum will likely be filled by forces from neighboring countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Syria. The UN will make rumblings but do nothing as is the norm.

Comment

Saddam Hussein certainly deserved to die. There is, no doubt many who think that the method of execution was too quick and merciful.

It was said that the fabric wrapped around Saddam's neck before the noose was put in place, was to minimize the bruising. I wonder if any of the countless victim's of his brutal reign were given any such considerartions?

I definitely approve judicial process, which includes capital punishment for certain heinous crimes, but never if there is any doubt of the guilt or any question of the innocence of the accused.

There was no doubt that Saddam Hussein was guilty of countless crimes against humanity. To question his innocence would be as absurd as to demand that we reopen the cases of such infamous characters as Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot, Josef Stalin and Mao tse Tung.

This might surprise some of those who know my views of some of the controversial issues, but I think that despite Saddam Hussein's long trial (a judicial process that he denied to his countless victims) and obvious guilt, his execution was carried out far too swiftly. I'm afraid that this might turn out to be bad business for both those who are occupying Iraq, the governments who are current providing peace-keeping forces and the newly elected Iraqi government.

Although I do not have a high regard for Islam, Iraq is predominently Muslim. Will dealing with a dead Saddam Hussein open up new questions and problems? Unlike the Nazi war criminals executed following the Nuremburg trials, it's not as simple as cutting down the bodies, incinerating them and then scatter the ashes to prevent them from beconing enshrined. Many of the Iraqis, both pro-Saddam and anti-Saddam will demand that Islamic rules, concerning the dead be followed in regards to Saddam's remains.

I'm afraid that the hangman has not closed this chapter of the story.

Neither will the gravediggers...

Comment

Posted by NaturistMark:
                              It is a very good thing that Saddam was executed quickly for one of his first and least serious crimes against humanity. If he had been kept alive to stand trial for his later crimes - such as gassing his own Kurdish citizens awkward evidence about WHO sold him the material and know-how to produce WMD's would be introduced. Awkward evidence about who green lighted and supported his unprovoked attacks against Iran. Awkward evidence about who provided intelligence to him about his enemies.

Talk about inconvenient truths! Whew!
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, too, hoped they could have held off until the other charges could have been played out and eventually led to further guilty verdicts.

But after reading your assessment, I now see why they executed him so rapidly. Future trials would only have dragged this on and on and would have brought out more 'unjustices' that could have included other countries such as Syria, Iran, Jordan, etc.

Now that he has been extinguished, we must now begin proceedings to ready his 'players' to meet their fates as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X