Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TimO'C, "Fair and reasoned" doesn't fly here. Try some negative emotionalism if you want to fit in.

Comment

Has any one else noticed the attacks directed toward one poster on this thread by others.

It looks to me that they are doing exactly what they claim the poster is doing to them. Several days ago I asked one such poster on another thread about his attacks toward the other and he has not answered. In fact he has not posted at all until his attack on this thread, curious?

Comment

Here's one problem our schizoid acquaintances of the "conservative" persuasion have to live with.

Foreign policy: Conservatives have always preferred not to meddle in the internal affairs of other countries as long as the "balance-of-power" was maintained. Linking human rights and democracy to foreign policy was a liberal notion. Nation building was a liberal notion.

Since Reagan that has changed--one might even argue that post-70s disillusionment on campus is a primary contributor--all that has changed as we hop, skip and jump around the world supporting factions within stable governments, supporting rightest outlaws in Central America, and invading and occupying soveriegn nations to "spread democracy".

All of which goes to show that in the maters of foreign policy the neo-cons are liberals on steroids.

What's this got to do with Alito? Well you've got a dumbed down citizenry willing to accept Stalinesque domestic spying and who believe the real battle is over abortion and an adminstration fronted by a meglomaniac, dry-drunk sociopath, and a legislative branch owned lock stock and barrel by borderless, multi-national corporations. All that's left to tumble is the judiciary.

That's what it's got to do with Scalito.

Our only hope is a filibuster.

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Naturist Mark:
          The executive branch is always supreme. Judge Alito has made a good show of suddenly opining that there are limits to executive power, but it isn't in his record.

That's the main reason I oppose him. The whole system of checks and balances put in place by our founding fathers after their experience of living in a monarchy is under heavy attack and we don't need a Supreme Court Justice who sees no need for an independent and equal judiciary.

Comment

Jason in answer to your question Samuel Alito is the current nominee by the shrub to be pppointed to serve for a life term (or until he decides to retire, whichever comes first) on the United States Supreme Court as one of it's judges.
            His appointment has to be approved by the congress and the American people do not want him on the court and neither should any free and independent people on the planet...his views on the independent and seperate branchs of our government aren't there because he does see the need for seperate and independent branchs, he is all for King and country as in King Shrub and the hallowed being that is Haliburton.

Comment

I don't want him but I'm afraid he will be approved.

Comment

I appreciate you guys clearing that up for me. And just to clear up something else. I guess being "gullible" means that one would believe FACTS as opposed to most left wingers that totally disregard FACTS for opinion. It amazes me that Pat Leahy would have the unmitigated gall to say that the president missed an opportunity to bring diversity to the Supreme Court. That there are so many qualified minorities that could have been appointed. George Bush has had more minorities in top positions in his administration than any other president.

Personally I dont care whether Alito gets the confirmation or not. as long as if he gets confirmed that he presides using the law and the constitution as opposed to his personal opinion. And I would say the same thing if he were a Liberal.

Bruce

Comment

ncnudlady I have noticed the attacks as well and the deafening silence since.

Alito becoming a Supreme Court judge just may be the spark that sets this nation to was with itself.

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by ncnudlady:
                    Has any one else noticed the attacks directed toward one poster on this thread by others.

It looks to me that they are doing exactly what they claim the poster is doing to them. Several days ago I asked one such poster on another thread about his attacks toward the other and he has not answered. In fact he has not posted at all until his attack on this thread, curious?

Maybe the poster concluded the conversation was pointless.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by tinhfwv:

Maybe the poster concluded the conversation was pointless.

He did.

Comment

"True colors shining thru..."

as strains of Cyndi Lauper's voice wafting through the air.

Nine posters are against Alito and one claims no opinion, yet none have claimed to be for him, I wonder why?

Comment

I'm an American and I hope that Alito gets confirmed.

Maybe he's not the best choice, but he certainly is a much better choice than Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

As for Ted Kennedy, who seems to have a lot to say about this, does his ability to beat a drunk driving and vehicular homicide qualify him as an expert on the law?

Comment

I find it kind of sad that conservatives can't let go of a tragic accident from decades ago. Kennedy is an expert because he has been WRITING law for many years now. I know everybody will always have their own take, and that's cool in and of itself, but what's wrong with Ginsburg. She quietly does a good job. Judges are like umpires. When they do their job well they're invisible but when they screw up it's there for the world to see. The lack of headlines she gets should be considered a good sign.

Comment

1. Making law does not mean you know the law.
                              2. This current court said it is ok for the government to take your land and give it to a private company to improve the tax base. Some how that does not seem fair.
                              The less we have of goverment missing in our life the more I like it. They guys (not all but most) do not give a rats *** about us. Its all about staying in office and getting rich. For the record I am a Rep. and belive in the right of choice.

Comment

quote:
                                Originally posted by nacktman:
                                "True colors shining thru..."

as strains of Cyndi Lauper's voice wafting through the air.

Nine posters are against Alito and one claims no opinion, yet none have claimed to be for him, I wonder why?

A sense of wonder enhances the life experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X