• Show
Clear All

• New Energy Bill

I think this sums it up.

Qikdraw

I think this sums it up.

Qikdraw

Comment

I have to agree, Qikdraw. The energy bill signed left me with much disappointment when it comes to conservation, alternate energies, and sound policy.

One the other hand, we all can do what we can do to conserve and use other fuels. As I was entering the turnpike here in the recent past, the license plate of the newer VW Bug caught my eye. "BIO DZL" said it all. I only wish I could find out what the driver was using as his source of fuel.

One other story on NPR caught my ear. It concerned an older woman who is a conservationist manufacturing her own bio-diesel at home from discarded vegetable oil used in frying french fries. She drives a Mercedes that required no alteration to the engine to use the bio diesel. The cost to her to filter and make ready to use was $1.50/gallon.

As the gas prices hit continuing new highs ($2.49/gallon for regular here in NE Ohio), I do what I can by limiting my driving to essentials, combining necessary trips with errands and such, and driving high mileage, low polluting cars. My next new car will be a hybrid or a diesel that I can drive on bio-diesel.

Comment

I agree with Nudist Guy. Here in the Chicago suburbs gas is around $2.60 and it's only going to get higher. Where's ethanol when you need it?

Stuart

Comment

I figure that the only good thing about high gas prices (etc., but in particular) is that only by having sustained very high prices will we apparently ever be sufficiently motivated to really do something about it. As long as gas is relatively cheap, complacency takes over and nothing happens. This is hardly a new issue (remember clear back to the 70's - sorry to admit I can ). When it is expensive enough for long enough, alternatives will finally be discovered and put into place. But, it's pretty obvious that's what it will take to cause it. It will be painful in the meantime, unfortunately - especially for us daily nude hikers that need to drive trucks some 100-120 miles to make that work out.....

Comment

Wanna save electricity? Stay naked at home so you can use less air conditioning.

I agree, people need a certain amount of pain to make real changes in behavior when it comes to oil use. The energy crisis in the 70s was much worse, and it caused some real changes. Lots of research into fuel efficiency, everyone started driving little hatchbacks.

In the long run, I think as a country we need a diversified energy system. There are tons of great renewable fuel sources, and instead of everyone using the same thing, choosing your fuel type based on what it is your trying to do and where you live I think makes more sense. The fry oil lady is a good example, quite a few people here in Connecticut have modified diesel Jettas to do that sort of thing.

The energy policy does nothing, but in the end I don't think a government level energy policy has ever accomplished much. Real changes in energy are driven by consumers. All government can do is try and nudge the process a bit.

Comment

quote:
              The fry oil lady is a good example, quite a few people here in Connecticut have modified diesel Jettas to do that sort of thing.
              Just be aware that these home-fuel methods entail the hazard of (road) tax evasion, exactly like using (untaxed) farm fuel in highway vehicles.

Comment

Working...
              X