X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia vs Brazil 18 June
    vs Croatia 22 June

Comment

Italy to win the tournament. The parallels with the 1982 side are so strong (the corruption thing) and I believe that Brazil will also mirror the 82 side. great towatch, but ultimately, lacking what it really takes to win. After watching them v Croatia last night, I believe a really strong organised side showing more ambition to win than Croatia did last night will beat them. Italy for instance

Comment

USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA

Held Italy to a 1 -1 tie, picked up a point and still remain in the chase. They did this one man down (really two) thanks to a very lousy referee.

Could the good fellas have gotten to him?

OK, so come Thursday they beat Ghana, which played over its head in beating the Czechos, and Italy rebounds and beats the Czeachs and we move on the the group of 16.

It will be tough, but it is still within the realm of feasible. Our red carded players will be out against Ghana, but two of their best will be on the bench for the same reason, and I think our match-up shows more depth in backup than theirs.

The Italians ought to be able to handle the Czechs.

'Taint a done deal, but, it could very well happen. Especially after today, they USA really ought to play with confidence and vigor.

Comment

US tied Italy 1-1 on an Italian own-goal. That means the US hasn't scored an actual goal in the Cup tournament yet.

Ghana upsets Czech Republic 2-0.

So now, in that division, Italy leads with 4 points, Czech Rep. and Ghana have 3 points and US has 1. The US will need a lot of help and luck to get on to the next round. But they have to beat Ghana to even have a chance. And this from a squad that has yet to score a goal in 180 minutes.

Bob S.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Bob S.:
            US tied Italy 1-1 on an Italian own-goal. That means the US hasn't scored an actual goal in the Cup tournament yet.

Ghana upsets Czech Republic 2-0.

So now, in that division, Italy leads with 4 points, Czech Rep. and Ghana have 3 points and US has 1. The US will need a lot of help and luck to get on to the next round. But they have to beat Ghana to even have a chance. And this from a squad that has yet to score a goal in 180 minutes.

Bob S.

Hard to score when you're down two men against one of the best teams in the world. They had a goal which was waved off because the ref claimed a U.S. player was screening. The irony of the call is that had the U.S. player not tried to get out of the way and stood still, really screening the play, the call would not have been made.

As to the own goal, well that is part of the game, but had the Italian not of knocked the ball into his own net, the U.S. player was in position to make the score without interference. From where I was watching, it looked more like a forced own goal than anything else. Either way, it wass going to be and did result in a score for the U.S.A..

I think this team can beat Ghana and I think the Italians can beat Chzecho. So, we'll see.

Comment

usmc:"As to the own goal, well that is part of the game, but had the Italian not of knocked the ball into his own net, the U.S. player was in position to make the score without interference."

Had he cleared the ball out, there would not have been a goal.

But I am going to hope that this doesn't result in the last World Cup own-goal against the US. I believe it was a Colomnian player that accidentally scored a goal for the US that resulted in a US win. When he went home, he was killed for his mistake.

Well, my Brazilian team beat Australia. They now make it on to the next round.

Bob S.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by Bob S.:
                usmc:"As to the own goal, well that is part of the game, but had the Italian not of knocked the ball into his own net, the U.S. player was in position to make the score without interference."

Had he cleared the ball out, there would not have been a goal.

But I am going to hope that this doesn't result in the last World Cup own-goal against the US. I believe it was a Colomnian player that accidentally scored a goal for the US that resulted in a US win. When he went home, he was killed for his mistake.

Well, my Brazilian team beat Australia. They now make it on to the next round.

Bob S.

MY point WAS! he had no way of clearing the ball based on the American player's position in front of him. It was going to be an American goal, unless a hole opened in the ground and the ball fell in.

Comment

A hard fought 2-0 win for Brazil over the Aussies...Croatia were held 0-0 by Japan in what I could say was a boring game...France were held by the Koreans 1-1...

Comment

Australia must defeat Croatia.

Comment

Wow, the team from Ghana have eliminated the U.S.
                      Are Ghana the surprise of the tournament, having also previously beaten the Czechs?

Comment

Oh well, wish I could say wait till next year. That works with the 'stros and Cowboys. But, damn. Now, for the first time in his life that damned Bob is going to be right about something.

aaaaaaaarrrrggghhh!

Comment

I have been saying all along that being ranked at #5, the US was overrated. Scoring only one goal (and getting help with an own-goal) is not the sign of a highly ranked team.

They should have done a lot better versus #43 (I think) Ghana if they wanted to have a chance. But again, one goal was not going to cut it. Even without the controversial PK in extra time in the first half, they would have managed only a tie, still leaving them out.

If you want to see good US soccer (World football), you'll have to wait for the women's world cup. The US women's team has been dominating in the past decade plus, although their best players have left, espeically Mia Hamm.

But I will give them their props in tying Italy.

Bob S.

Comment

So, we have elbow smashes, leg takedowns.

Is this soccer or wrestling?

Anyway, so many yellow and red cards.

Comment

Yes, a record number of cards being given this WC tournament. Is this a result of better officiating, more aggressive officiating, or more aggresive play?

I would say more eager refs.

Bob S.

Comment

Well, I am bummed that the Brazilians did not make it.

This is an all Europe final four: Germany/Italy, France/Portugal.

We'll see who makes it to play in the title match on my birthday.

Bob S.

Comment

Working...
                                X