Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you do when some one greets you with greeting that is not your faith

there probably more options then what I have given

Comment

I always assume that such greetings are offered in good will. If I understood the significance of it (probably would for some religions; may not for others) and it seemed appropriate, I would respond in kind. Otherwise I would just smile and say thank you.

Comment

I can tell you what I don't do: act all offended and indignant as though the person issuing the alternative greeting has offended my very faith, soul, and reason for being. Nor do I accuse them of declaring "war" on the holiday itself. Sheesh.

Unwired, unfazed by hearing something other than "Merry Christmas"

Comment

This actually happens to me fairly often this time of year. It's no biggie. If I know someone's faith, I'll respond with the corresponding greeting. If not, "Happy Holidays" is always appropriate.

Vin

Comment

I respond back in theirs.... I don't want to start a holy war over something as innocent as a happy greeting. For those who are staunch defenders of their holiday faith....maybe sticking to "hey, what's up" would be the best route this season.

And on that note....Merry Christmas

Comment

In a way it is inconsiderate, but hey, that's what most people are. Just stay polite.

I work in a very multicultural company and will always try to keep in mind the religion/culture of others before I wish them happy-something. Wishing a muslim a merry xmas doesn't make sense, but keeping in mind Eed for example will create much goodwill. Same applies for Hanuka etc, or any other national holliday even if I do not share the same faith/nationality.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by luvnaturism:
                I always assume that such greetings are offered in good will. If I understood the significance of it (probably would for some religions; may not for others) and it seemed appropriate, I would respond in kind. Otherwise I would just smile and say thank you.

i would it hope it as well .

Comment

I will generally respond with whatever they said to me. I also like "Happy Holidays" because it covers them all.

Comment

I would probably reply back with a "Merry Christmas".

Comment

I would reply in kind and, time permitting, ask some polite questions about his/her religion or the significance of the holiday mentioned.

Comment

I would perhaps respond back with theirs. This one interchange could be a catalyst for me to to learn more about their beliefs. A few years back in Budapest, I went into a Jewish Synagogue, and wore a yamaka while in there. It is simply respect for others . . . which, let's face it folks, is what all faiths have in common. Isn't that what we're all trying to reach?

I also may respond back with, "Peace" as this one is also all-inclusive.

Comment

OOPS. I voted incorrectly. When I picked "ignore" I mistakenly thought that meant I was going to ignore that the greeting was for the wrong religion.

Mostly when somebody offers me a greeting I respond with a smile and a offer of either "Merry Ho Ho", "Have a great holiday" or "Have a great and healthy New Year". Once in a while when I'm 100% positive of the person's religion I offer a "Merry Christmas" I live in a very pluralistic environment and don't wish to offend anybody.

Honestly, I think this whole thing about holiday greetings being an attack on Christianity to be absurd! The PULPIT PIMPS ARE JUST LOOKING FOR ANOTHER WAY TO RILE UP THEIR MASSES AND GATHER ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL AND EMOTIONAL SUPPORT TO THEIR ORGANIZATIONS.

Comment

Very well put, christopher. The whole "greeting is insulting" thing is getting very old in a hurry in my book.

Comment

Bravo Christopher! The truth shall set them free!

To Topic: Ignore the holiday greeting and respond with "Good Day" or "Good Evening" depending on the time of day.

Comment

Working...
                              X