Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clash of civilizations -- what, some dumb cartoons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clash of civilizations -- what, some dumb cartoons?

Here are the cartoons:

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/sarticle.php?id=12146

Give me a break, there are Muslims calling for jihads and saying that freedom of speech in non-Muslim nations has to be curtailed. Watch out, some immam in Saudi Arabia might issue a fatwah on nudist sites demanding that women (especially if some might be Muslim, never know in nations like Serbia, etc.) only be featured in burkas.

I do not like mocking another religion. But if people attack Mormons, Jews and Catholics in the USA I don't see Mormons, Catholics and Jews calling for violence.

Here are the cartoons:

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/sarticle.php?id=12146

Give me a break, there are Muslims calling for jihads and saying that freedom of speech in non-Muslim nations has to be curtailed. Watch out, some immam in Saudi Arabia might issue a fatwah on nudist sites demanding that women (especially if some might be Muslim, never know in nations like Serbia, etc.) only be featured in burkas.

I do not like mocking another religion. But if people attack Mormons, Jews and Catholics in the USA I don't see Mormons, Catholics and Jews calling for violence.

Comment

I think it is a good idea to always respect someone else's beliefs. The newspapers try to get away with a lot of things just to sell papers.

Comment

Just to stay clear of any mis-understandings, all I will state is, I think it is wrong to characterized any faith, especially in a politically related manner. That goes for all types of religions.

Comment

On the other hand ... no one should have a right to not be offended.

Remember, just the idea that some of us enjoy living life and going about everyday activities in the nude is hugely offensive to some people. So should all give up nudism so as not to offend? Should we agree to never push the limits and never use public lands or try to get unofficial nude beaches recognized, or even never establish private nude venues in their city, or county or state?

To cause needless offense is a moral failing. So is needlessly taking offense. Sometimes people are *******s, don't let them control your life by controlling your feelings.

-Mark

Comment

You know the old line about avoiding religion and politics at parties? Well, I guess the latter has always been fodder for cartoonists, but let's keep religion separate from satirization.

BTW, Revolutionary, the website you linked is - uh - somewhat biased, wouldn't you say?

Comment

Nah, J'man the linked site it just couldn't be, could it?

Comment

Why is it we seem to have the one set of standards for Muslims and another set for the rest of the world?

I am referring to the thread, "Is this going to far?" which is discussing the political cartoon which portrays the US Army as a quadruple amputee, supposedly from wounds sustained in combat. Judging by the replies this is seen as completely legitimate where as the political cartoons expressing the view held my many of the Muslim fundamentalists/extremists is not politically correct enough?

In my opinion this is pure hypocrisy. If you are for one form of free speech you must be prepared to allow others the same right even if it conflicts with your own views otherwise it is not free speech.

As an American fighting man I found the first cartoon offensive. I have had friends lose limbs in the current war and seen others horribly mutilated. In my view it was as a direct result of these so called Muslim holy warriors. However as DISTASTEFUL as I may find the cartoon I can appreciate that it is a fundamental right guaranteed to us by our constitution, the same as the other cartoon.

I see this one sided support for one and not for the other as a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

Comment

It was obvious that this is a deliberate provocation by the Danish newspaper and more fuel was thrown on the fire as other Euro papers went with the story (and the cartoons).

Here in the United States, where there is a degree of press censorship - some self-imposed under the guise of political correctness, some arm-twisted by a panicked federal government, you didn't see these cartoons. You had to go to the internet. There's no gatekeeper, and it's global.

Just as the radical Muslim world cannot understand the Western concept of freedom of speech, we have trouble understanding their views toward women = genital mutilation, subservience, and in some places, only limited education is permitted.

In the West, capital punishment is abhorred and disdained (some US locales excepted) and over there they make a public party out of the process.

Is the cartoon accurate? Of course not. It does raise a great debate -- our way of life versus the conservative Muslim way of life.

We, too have to be careful that we do not knuckle under to political correctness imposed on us by ANY side - liberal, conservative, whatever.

Comment

I think that the pictures are bad taste. On the other hand, if a danish cartoonist cannot draw Mahomet in a danish newspaper, we are in deep trouble, because Danemark is one of the most liberal and advanced country in the World, so if they cannot do it, nobody can.

The thing is more about radical islamists who cannot tolerate mockery, and if nobody stop them, we will have the choice between islam and death, because they would not tolerate anyone who is not muslim if they had the power to do it. The protests are about to show their power. They could even make other terrorists attaks to show their power.

Comment

I'm confused by NudeAl and usuallylurk's comments. This thread is about the Danish cartoons featuring imagery of the prophet Mohammed as a terrorist, among other things. From what I have heard on the news, this is seen as a blasphemous thing by the Islamic world, as images are forbidden of their prophet.

Think of it this way...if Christianity believed that any and all imagery of Jesus Christ was sacriligious, and newspapers in the middle east and Asia published mocking cartoons of him, then you'd have a whole lot of p**sed off Christians over here, too, right?

Comment

Right wingnuts are right wingnuts no matter the "religion".

The Radical Religious Right is protesting both the 'mohammed' and the "quadriplegic' cartoons.

Under those impious robes of their's the fundy's are all the same...thin skin, no balls, intolerant of any differences, etc., it doesn't matter if they are "christian" or "muslim" or "jewish" or "hindi" or ...

Comment

Interesting that the boycott of Danish goods in many Moslem countries has resulted in the republication of the cartoons by papers in a half dozen other European countries. Will the boycotts extend to all European goods?

-Mark

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by Journeyman:
                            I'm confused by NudeAl and usuallylurk's comments. This thread is about the Danish cartoons featuring imagery of the prophet Mohammed as a terrorist, among other things. From what I have heard on the news, this is seen as a blasphemous thing by the Islamic world, as images are forbidden of their prophet.

Think of it this way...if Christianity believed that any and all imagery of Jesus Christ was sacriligious, and newspapers in the middle east and Asia published mocking cartoons of him, then you'd have a whole lot of p**sed off Christians over here, too, right?

We are talking about a danish cartoonist who probably did not even knew that the representation of Mahomet was forbidden in islam. Muslims are a tiny minority in Danemark.

Now, most of the people who protest are in the muslim world and they did not even see the pictures.

I also think that respect for religion has its limits. Osama Ben Laden considers himself as a religious leader.

The country who starts the boycott (Saudi Arabia) is about the least free country in the world. It is a country where women cannot drive cars and they murder homosexuals and adultary women.

Comment

How about, rather than refusing to buy European goods, the Middle East refuse to sell us their oil?

Comment

Working...
                              X