It looks like war is on then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It looks like war is on then

I am writing this with a sad heart, I've just watched the news and seen that the US president is addressing the nation at 1am (my local time). In this speech we are told, he will offer an ultimatum, the chance of saddam accepting it are almost non existant. The net result of this will in all likelyhood be that when I wake up, we will be at war.

I for one have been highly sceptical of taking this action, I'm not convinced that all the diplomatic routes have been used and the hidden agendas of both the allies and the french/russians would seem to be questionable to say the least (I'm not one to take political information as fact as there is always more to a situation than we are lead to believe).

What ever we believe though, I think All of the bickering should now be stopped as, whether or not the war is justified or not is secondary to getting the job done.

I hope that the group will join together to offer words of support/prayers that the action is as bloodless as can be and as quick as possible (on all sides).

Only time will tell who is/was right, and there will be pleanty of time to ponder the results of the military actions once they are done.

I am looking forward to a long hot summer of naturism with my boyfriend and friends old and new. I feel that now more than ever it important to be possitive as the news over the next few days/weeks is going to be very depressing.

where ever you are, keep safe, and try in what ever way you can, to bring this whole horrible thing to an end as quick as possible.

good night

B

I am writing this with a sad heart, I've just watched the news and seen that the US president is addressing the nation at 1am (my local time). In this speech we are told, he will offer an ultimatum, the chance of saddam accepting it are almost non existant. The net result of this will in all likelyhood be that when I wake up, we will be at war.

I for one have been highly sceptical of taking this action, I'm not convinced that all the diplomatic routes have been used and the hidden agendas of both the allies and the french/russians would seem to be questionable to say the least (I'm not one to take political information as fact as there is always more to a situation than we are lead to believe).

What ever we believe though, I think All of the bickering should now be stopped as, whether or not the war is justified or not is secondary to getting the job done.

I hope that the group will join together to offer words of support/prayers that the action is as bloodless as can be and as quick as possible (on all sides).

Only time will tell who is/was right, and there will be pleanty of time to ponder the results of the military actions once they are done.

I am looking forward to a long hot summer of naturism with my boyfriend and friends old and new. I feel that now more than ever it important to be possitive as the news over the next few days/weeks is going to be very depressing.

where ever you are, keep safe, and try in what ever way you can, to bring this whole horrible thing to an end as quick as possible.

good night

B

Comment

AMEN

Comment

Bryony H

Those were some very heart-felt words. I am proud to stand beside you and echo your words.

These are very sobering days.

Everyone, no matter if you are for or against these current events. No matter if you trust in God or not.

Take a moment, bow your head, reach out and hold someone close. Say a prayer to whoever or whatever you beleive in.

Keep your hearts, your prayers, and your thoughts with those that are putting thier lives on the line,

FOR YOU AND ME........God Bless

ercNY,USA

Comment

I have never liked the idea of war. Sometimes, though, it's neceassary. Whether or not this is one of those times I can't say.

While I don't believe anyone should be allowed to threaten other countries, is war the answer? More lives will be lost, and will anything be accomplished? If Saddam (insane) won't destroy his weapons, is war the only alternative? I've also wondered what gives us the right to tell other countries what to do?

Of course, there are those who want to kill everyone in this country. Maybe there were people of other nationalities killed in the 9/11 massacre, but it was THIS country they attached.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by ercNY:
            [qb]Keep your hearts, your prayers, and your thoughts with those that are putting thier lives on the line...[/qb]
            ... and perhaps a few words for those who are about to lose their lives.

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?" - Mahatma Gandhi

Sorry for repeating the quote.

Rik

Comment

RT here again with his penny

I don't believe there is a god so I won't pray but my thoughts go out to those who are about to die and the families of those who are about to die. Especially all those inocent women and children.

Comment

Bryony - Thanks for the beautiful words of encouragement concerning the sad news. We will be at War by Wednesday evening. I heartily agree that everyone in the Forum should now focus on good thoughts, prayers and support of our men and women who are facing the enemy. Demonstrating dissapproval of the effort will only do harm to our men and women in uniform so I encourage everyone to have a moratorium on the criticism of the President and the Prime Ministers who have made the decision to eliminate Sadam Houssein.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Snoboy:
                  [qb]...so I encourage everyone to have a moratorium on the criticism of the President and the Prime Ministers who have made the decision to eliminate Sadam Houssein.[/qb]
                  I feel desperately sorry for those who are been unnecessarily exposed to the threat of death. I also hope that what follows will be speedy and that those who are putting their lives on the line will return to their families as soon as possible. I also genuinely hope that the stated obectives of this war are achieved now that there seems to be no turning back.

But my conscience will NOT allow me to stop criticising Bush and Blair for the huge damage they have inflicted on the world and, in particular, to the authority of the international community.

Rik

Comment

Rik, it is your right to complain but is it really productive at this juncture? Considering the fact that bombs will be dropped within hours, it would seem to me to encourage a result that is expediant with fewer lives lost. May God be with all of us through the difficult times ahead in the middle east and here at home. With hightened security again we must be diligent and exercise wisdom in everything we do.

Comment

Two things.

First, thoughts and best wishes to all. No matter where you are, the outbreak of war will likely increase markedly the chances for all of us of some major life-changing event. We may know soldiers who could be injured or killed. There could be a domestic attack that could affect us. Keep safe everyone.

Second, I do not consider that once war breaks out, there should be a moratorium on people's democratic right to speak out in dissent of the war if they so choose. One criticism often made of Saddam Hussein is that he represses dissent. One accusation leveled by the US at Al Quaeda is that "they hate our freedoms". It would be ironic in the extreme if, to fight Hussein and Al Quaeda, it was accepted that people should give up their freedoms of expression.

I cannot offer unqualified support to the troops. I personally don't think war without UN sanction and not under the UN banner is justified at this moment. This is actually the first time that my country has ever gone to war as an initiating aggressor, and I think it is a sad day in our history. I hold nothing against the troops who carry out the commands of the Government, as they are required to do, and who conduct themselves in accordance with the Geneva convention. I'm not going to scream and rebuke them when they come home. They're doing their job. But that won't stop me questioning the wisdom and appropriateness of the decision to involve them.

Comment

Dear Aussie,
                        I can agree that all people have a right to an opinion. But while the boys and girls are fighting I do not think anybody should do anything to put them in harms way. When this war is over let the faults and policies of those involved be what is right or wrong.

Do not do to these what was done to our boys and girls in Vietnam.

Comment

Looks like the U.S. is out policing the world again, this time for a good reason. Seems like whenever there is a tragedy that is about to happen, or has just happened, it's always the United States who is to the rescue. Be the tragedy caused by humans or by the act of God, the United States is the first ones to respond, and usually the only ones. Whenever a tragedy happens to the United States, who else responds? NOBODY! We are truely the land of the free, and if that means we must go to war to make the face of the earth safer, then by all means, war it will be. But if there is a tragedy, and you condemn the United States for their stand on world peace, you then have no right to ask for assistance through aid. Sorry to be so harsh, but I'm tired of listening to all the whining. GOD BLESS AMERICA, AND LETS PRAY FOR ALL THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE ARMED FORCES.

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by Phil:
                            [qb]Do not do to these what was done to our boys and girls in Vietnam.[/qb]
                            I think a distinction needs to be made. Although I am against the war, I will give a hero's welcome to any soldier who comes home. And so in that respect, I agree that what happened to the Vietnam soldiers was a disgrace. (Speaking of disgraces, I think it is outrageous--and unpatriotic for that matter--how little soldiers are paid. Take note all of you who have called me unpatriotic!).

However, I think Vietnam protests (directed at the gov't) were very important in finally getting us out of a war we should never have been in. I think it is important to note that many people who supported the war at the time (including many soldiers), now in retrospect say it was a mistake.

Comment

Hear, hear j4king - my thoughts entirely.

If the Vietnam protests had not have happened, and no-one had questioned the war during its course, many more lives may have been lost on both sides for the wrong reasons.

Don't blame the troops for following orders, and don't abuse them when they come home (except for those who may go beyond the appropriate conduct of troops in war) - but don't stop campaigning for your causes, either pro- or anti-war.

Comment

Working...
                              X