Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant replay for MLB? Yes or no & why.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant replay for MLB? Yes or no & why.

A prominent sports writer is calling for MLB to add instant replay:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18565746/

Isn't your poll a bit bias and slanted? You asked for our yes/no vote and our "views" but you already gave "our" views along with our yes/no vote!

At any rate.....I will answer even though those posted views with the yes/no answers are partially what I might have said.

You are correct...baseball is slow enough that this would add to the time factor. I can't watch baseball on TV. I love going to games and all that has to offer but don't care much to watch TV baseball or hockey. There is a human element to the game which makes it a great game but.............

The technology is there and with "limitations" to the number of instant replays a Manager could ask for, it wouldn't add that much time to the game. I don't think it'll add an "exciting" dimension to the game but it will reverse a bad call made by an umpire.

If anyone has a true passion for MLB (as I think you do, from your "NO" vote added comments ) and realizes that there is such parity in baseball teams nowadays, a wrong call could cost a team much more than just a regular season game.

Like anything else, a trial period wouldn't hurt and if it doesn't work.....throw it OUT!

Comment

Thanks for you opinions. I thought I was being Fair & Balanced by presenting both of the primary for and against arguments and asking others to add their views. I doubt that with this mob it will suppress any views or opinions.

You might be right that there is a lot of parody in baseball, but I'm not seeing the parity. And, in truth, there's not as much parody since Bil Veck and Max Patkin are no longer around.

Comment

I voted NO. Although I watch the games on TV, I do think it is boring a lot of the time.

Comment

Works well in hockey and football.
          Should be okay for baseball,too.

Comment

Instant Replay?? What next? Designated hitters? Oh I forgot.

Walt

Comment

Originally posted by usmc1:
              You might be right that there is a lot of parody in baseball, but I'm not seeing the parity.
              You are much too smart to have ever been a Marine!!

FP (USN-,the mother ship of the Marine Corp, '71-'75)

Comment

Originally posted by FireProf:
                quote:
                You might be right that there is a lot of parody in baseball, but I'm not seeing the parity.
                You are much too smart to have ever been a Marine!!

FP (USN-,the mother ship of the Marine Corp, '71-'75)

That's why they shipped me out of a line company into regimental S-2. Or as grandpa usta say to me, there are smart fellers and then there are f*rt smellers, and boy, I don't see no light bulb above your head.

Yep we use the Navy to carry us take us places and carry our seabags for us.

Comment

Yep we use the Navy to carry us take us places and carry our seabags for us.
                  Goes right with one of my favorite lines in the movies!! A Few Good Men

Marine: "I don't hate you Navy guys, everytime we gotta go someplace to fight a war, you guys give us a ride."

but........let's get back to talking MLB and Instant Replay!.........Play Ball!

Comment

Originally posted by FireProf:
                    realizes that there is such parity in baseball teams nowadays
                    You have got to be kidding.

I guess you have never seen the KC Royals play.

Comment

AS A WHOLE!!!

You can pick this apart if you'd like but the fact is that there isn't two, three of four teams in MLB that dominate and have a monopoly on winning and winning the big one each year.

Sure, you'll have some of those teams like the one you mentioned that aren't and haven't been in contention but the bulk of the teams in the league on any day could take it all and you really can't tell who is going to the Big Show.

So quit picking apart the opinions and get back to the real topic..............Instant Reply!

Comment

I voted no for the fact that the game is slow enough. But I wouldn't rule it out for the post season. I also agree, it would be up to the team Managers discretions, but be allowed to only a certain amount of replays a game, such as football.

I'm sure it's in the books somewhere that it has already been decided to give it a try. I just hope they do it right and don't make the rules so the games don't d-r-a-g on any longer than they do now.

Comment

NO!, and fer cryin' out loud can we get rid of the DH?

Comment

I voted no because I don't think it is workable. But, to be entirely honest, I don't want it to be workable.

If football is a game of inches, baseball is a game of centimeters and micro-seconds. Just how would it be used. Surely not stikes and balls. A stike zone is a very subtle thing and slightly changes from pitch to pitch depending on the batter's stance.

Surely not close plays at first. Some games have several and even on current replay you can't get full agreement between people on the really tight ones.

What about throw outs at second? Hah! Sometimes with the dust and body angles, only the ump was in position to see if the throw got there and was applied before the runner touched the bag.

If you think mound conferences and warm-up pitches are tedious, just imagine several replays per game.

There are other scenarios where replay could be used effectively, fan interference, foul balls, was the tag actually applied, was it a check swing or not, and was it a catch or trap all come to mind. Which takes us to the question, what would be reviewed and what wouldn't? To exclude a category or categories or put limitations on the number of reviews per game merely raises more issues and slows things down.

MLB has done enough to irritate and drive off fans. There are some pretty sparse crowds in many stands. I don't think replay and review is the answer. And, I haven't even touched the traditions and human elements of the game.

Comment

I voted NO...only because there was not a HELL NO choice...LOL...

Comment

Working...
                              X