Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think we need to fight America's war on Terror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think we need to fight America's war on Terror?

I am tired of politics! What do you think of the situation in Iraq?

I am tired of politics! What do you think of the situation in Iraq?

Comment

None of the above. I reject your framing of the issues.

• Should you continue to beat your wife?
      • Do you denounce your Fascist past, Yes or NO?
      • Should we fix the senior drug plan or just shoot senior citizens to save money?
      • Do you support Lieberman or do you want the Terrorists to win?
      • How about those North Korean Commies?
      • Abolishing slavery was a bad idea, or a good idea that didn't work out?
      • Some people say, framing issues as false choices is a form of demagoguery, others call it Fox News.[/list]

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by Naturist Mark:
        None of the above. I reject your framing of the issues.

If your point is that ethaneoin's premise is wrong by contrasting it with the utterly ridiculous premise advanced by the cartoon, then your point is well-taken. As for my opinion,... I think this topic should be in the Open Conversation forum....

Comment

Mark::
          # Should you continue to beat your wife? I will stop when I find myself one.

# iI]Do you denounce your Fascist past, Yes or NO?[/I]
          Yes I do. As soon as I was potty trained, that phase stopped.

# Should we fix the senior drug plan or just shoot senior citizens to save money?
          How much do bullets cost? Plus the cost of cleaning up all the blood, burying or burning them. Aw, forget it. Better to just screw up with the drugs they have.

# Do you support Lieberman or do you want the Terrorists to win?
          Who are they playing? Wasn't Lieberman put on the DL list?

# How about those North Korean Commies?
          So that's who they are playing. I'll pick the Terrorists by 3 runs.

# Abolishing slavery was a bad idea, or a good idea that didn't work out?
          Good idea that didn't work out. The slaves never got to own anyone.

4X:"As for my opinion,... I think this topic should be in the Open Conversation forum...."

You took the words right out of my keyboard. Moving.

Bob S.

Comment

Talk about moronic knee-jerking!

What's more 4 pallid nithings took the last option (so far).

You can't make war on a noun, no matter how many adjectives you throw at it.

One may note we were rapidly eradicating the influx of drugs into this country up until raygun changed how we were doing it and declared a "war" on drugs ... how's that going ... well we ain't "winning" that one now are we?!

It is also of note that terrorism/ists was/were on the wane over the world until the shrub declared a "war" on it ... how's that going ... well ... they ain't on the wane any more, they're waxing. (for those who are of neo-con/theo-con mindlessness - WANE means to decrease and WAX means to increase)

Comment

I think a lot of you have probably had the same opinion I have after observing America after about 150,000 of us (not me)--out of the what-is-it?300+million of us--got shipped over to Baghdad: who's the "we" we're talkin' about doin' the fighting?
              I saw a book in a book store about this "war" by William Bennett. It was called "Why We Fight." But if you've payed a little attention to Bill Bennett's career lately you get the idea that when he isn't making nutty comments about African-American babies and abortions he's gotta be thinkin' about getting closer to the roulette wheels in Atlantic City or Vegas than anywhere near the battlefields in the middle East.
              Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity--for these guys the "brave fight" ends like clockwork as soon as morning drive-time ends and two-Martini lunch-time begins.
              When I woke up this morning I saw that the fight that was raging is over a local magazine with a picture of a nude woman on the cover--and she doesn't fit the profile of a terrorist.
              So, I think a lot of the "supporters" of the "war" suffer from a very short attention span.
              Peace,
              Kevin

Comment

I had somthing pithy to write after I read the poll and then scrolled down to what Mark wrote. He relieved me of the burden.

Oh nevemind, I still want to write it...What a crock!

Comment

I watched a little of Senator John McCain on Meet the Press this morning. He admitted that the Pentagon has made a ton of mistakes in Iraq, and he admitted that he didn't really have any confidence in the way Donald Rumsfeld is running the whole thing but he said he still had to go along with the guy at the top, Prez George Bush, in spit of all that.
                  Well, I think if alot of people are just about fed up with the way one guy with his own personal opinions is running this whole thing which millions of people are involved in whether they like it or not and you hear powerful people like Senator McCain say he doesn't have much confidence in it but he's gotta go along anyway------there's just one word for that form of government: monarchy, not democracy!
                  Peace,
                  Kevin

Comment

quote:
                    I watched a little of Senator Barry Goldwater on Meet the Press this morning. He admitted that the Pentagon has made a ton of mistakes in Viet Nam, and he admitted that he didn't really have any confidence in the way John MacNamara is running the whole thing but he said he still had to go along with the guy at the top, Prez Lyndon Johnson, in spit of all that.
                    Well, I think if alot of people are just about fed up with the way one guy with his own personal opinions is running this whole thing which millions of people are involved in whether they like it or not and you hear powerful people like Senator Goldwater say he doesn't have much confidence in it but he's gotta go along anyway------there's just one word for that form of government: monarchy, not democracy!
                    -- July 1964: three years after 1st involvment, just before Gulf of Tonkin incident, one year before 1st anti-war protest, four years before Tet, and ten years before Nixon withdraws last troops.
                    [yes, I know Goldwater ran against Johnson. It's interesting how, other than the names and a swap out of the word communism with terrorism, it all sounds familiar.]

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by earthpassenger(Kevin):
                      I watched a little of Senator John McCain on Meet the Press this morning. He admitted that the Pentagon has made a ton of mistakes in Iraq, and he admitted that he didn't really have any confidence in the way Donald Rumsfeld is running the whole thing but he said he still had to go along with the guy at the top, Prez George Bush, in spit of all that...

Kevin, thanks for you post. I missed "Meet the Press" but just finishied reading the transcript after your post.

From "Meet the Press" Transcript - (this week's show was hosted by David Gregory)

quote:
                      MR. GREGORY: Do you think Secretary Rumsfeld should keep his job?

SEN. McCAIN: That’s up to the president of the United States. The president picks his team and the president—as long as the president has confidence in him, then he’ll keep that team.

MR. GREGORY: Even at this stage of the war, you think, you still stick to that position that it’s up to the president?

SEN. McCAIN: Because elections have consequences. The president has the right to pick his team. I’ve been asked a number of times if I had confidence in Secretary Rumsfeld and the answer is no.

MR. GREGORY: But you still think he should stay in place if the president wants him.

SEN. McCAIN: I think the president should pick his team and I will support the president’s selections.

Also appearing on the show was "Vali Nasr, professor at the naval post-graduate school, and author of 'The Shia Revival: How Conflicts Within Islam Will Shape the Future'; NBC News analyst and retired Army General Barry McCaffrey, who just returned from the region; and John Harwood of The Wall Street Journal and CNBC."

Click on Link "Meet The Press" Transcript for Aug. 20

Comment

Did not vote. Nothing applies to my thoughts on the war.

Comment

I just received a copy of Thomas Ricks book, "Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq." Tom Ricks has been a military reporter for the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal and I first heard his book recommended by Al Franken on Air America. Its a biggie: 482 pages. I've just glanced at it but I think the book jacket is probably going to be accurate-for a little while at least--"the definitive account of the American military's tragic experience in Iraq."
                          Unlike John McCain he has no problem saying where the buck stops--right at the desk of the Head-Nitwit-IN-Charge: "Blame must lie foremost with President Bush himself. ...Pres. George W. Bush's decision to invade Iraq in 2003 ultimately may come to be seen as one of the most profligate actions in the history of America foreign policy."

Of course, I was hoping to get Elizabeth Rosner's novel "Blue Nude" in the mail any day now--it's on amazon starting at less than five dollars a copy (before shipping)!
                          I think I'll be reading Tom Ricks' book in installments therefore.
                          Peace,
                          Kevin

Comment

My vote will be for us to get a president who doesn't suffer from self infliceted brain damage and who isn't a coward and deserter like bush get things on track then. This will continue to be bungled as long as a loser like bush is in charge of it.

Comment

quote:
                              What a crock!

Naw, not really.

It's just the neo-cons bending over, putting their heads between their legs and kissing their own arses, seeing how no one else will anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X