Administrators: Posting Messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrators: Posting Messages

Over the last few weeks I've noticed that I can't post or preview long messages using the HTML form that comes up when you hit "Post a Reply". I use two different browsers on the same PC (Internet Explorer and Opera)and have the same problem with both. When this happens I can post or preview a short message of a few lines but it seems that once the message gets beyond a certain length the system stops working just as if it can't find your server.

What I usually do is to use another (but virtually identical) PC and post the message as normal.

On the face of it, it looks like it's a problem with my PC (although I can't figure out why the same problem occurs with two different browsers) but before I dig deeper could you confirm that your system doesn't place a limitation on message length AND link it to a specific IP address.

In other words are you trying to prevent me from writing too much by limiting what comes from my IP address? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Rik

Over the last few weeks I've noticed that I can't post or preview long messages using the HTML form that comes up when you hit "Post a Reply". I use two different browsers on the same PC (Internet Explorer and Opera)and have the same problem with both. When this happens I can post or preview a short message of a few lines but it seems that once the message gets beyond a certain length the system stops working just as if it can't find your server.

What I usually do is to use another (but virtually identical) PC and post the message as normal.

On the face of it, it looks like it's a problem with my PC (although I can't figure out why the same problem occurs with two different browsers) but before I dig deeper could you confirm that your system doesn't place a limitation on message length AND link it to a specific IP address.

In other words are you trying to prevent me from writing too much by limiting what comes from my IP address? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Rik

Comment

What version of IE are our using? Or what version of Netscape are you using?
      I can't seem to get the same problem to happen here. Let me know. Thanks!!
      Corky

Comment

Hi Corky,

If I use IE it's version 5.5 but my preferred browser is Opera 6.05. Both of these run under Windows 2K. The problem is entirely predictable on my PC and a number of tests I've done show that if I try to preview any message beyond about 1400 characters I get the error message "Connection closed by remote server" in Opera and IE simply returns a blank page. If a I delete a paragraph or two then it's ok but if I re-add the paragraphs I get the same result. I also know that if I can't "preview" I can't "send".

When this happens I have to switch to another PC on the same network which runs IE5 under Windows 2K and everything's fine.

Since I wrote my previous message I've given this problem quite a lot of thought and I've even posted a few requests for help on various newsgroups but so far I've not had any luck in resolving it. I now feel that it must be my PC which is the problem because I had something similar happen on another web site a few days ago although in that case I was filling in one of those multi field forms with lots of radio buttons and the like, but at the moment I don't know where to begin looking for the answer.

I'm confident this message will be ok because it's only 1270 characters. Perhaps I should just try to write less. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Rik

Comment

Working...
        X