Prince Henry to Iraq - there's a refreshing concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Henry to Iraq - there's a refreshing concept

While our leaders and their scions scheme and connive their way out of armed combat. Young Prince Henry, number three in line to the throne (sometimes called the "spare" as in William the "Heir", and Harry the "Spare") will go with his unit to Iraq.

In some ways I see this in the best tradition of English knighthood, and history; and a glaring comparison to our own wealthy and privileged class.

My initial thoughts were no way!, he'll be targeted, he'll be ineffective, and will be a distraction and endanger the lives of others. I suppose those risks exist. But, the symbolism and courage of the deed is a true Beau Geste, and out balances all the reasons he should not go. And, the risk to others is there whether he's in a tank in Iraq or a lady's bedroom in Chelsea.

That pup is going to be a leader. Would we had some.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23386452-det...y+in+Iraq/article.do

While our leaders and their scions scheme and connive their way out of armed combat. Young Prince Henry, number three in line to the throne (sometimes called the "spare" as in William the "Heir", and Harry the "Spare") will go with his unit to Iraq.

In some ways I see this in the best tradition of English knighthood, and history; and a glaring comparison to our own wealthy and privileged class.

My initial thoughts were no way!, he'll be targeted, he'll be ineffective, and will be a distraction and endanger the lives of others. I suppose those risks exist. But, the symbolism and courage of the deed is a true Beau Geste, and out balances all the reasons he should not go. And, the risk to others is there whether he's in a tank in Iraq or a lady's bedroom in Chelsea.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23386452-det...y+in+Iraq/article.do

Comment

My thoughts exactly. From what I heard, Harry (as I think he prefers to be called) will be on active patrol -- not hidden in some bunker.

Note that high members of the Royal family have been in military action during wars -- e.g. Prince Andrew was a helicopter pilot during the Falklands war; Prince Philip (Queen's hubby) also served in the navy during WW II.

I know that only a tiny handful of the U.S. Congress has sons or daughters in Iraq, or in the military. Anyone got the stats about how just under-represented they are?

Comment

So Prince Harry is going to Iraq. Followed by the news that the UK is going to withdraw from Iraq.

My, my, isn't THAT a co-incidence?

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by fred950:
          So Prince Harry is going to Iraq. Followed by the news that the UK is going to withdraw from Iraq.

My, my, isn't THAT a co-incidence?

Britain is decreasing its troop levels but not withdrawing. Given that Britain's troops are in the south of Iraq next to the Persian Gulf and a stones throw from Iran, whom the U.S. and UK etc. may be warring against soon, I certainly wouldn't say that being in that area is particularly safe.

Comment

I agree it is a refreshing concept. I wish our leaders had the requirement to serv in the military in order to hold office. I say we make it a requirement that in order to be the commander in chief one must have served in the military and I mean the MILITARY! Not the boy scouts or the nasty guard or weekend warriors unless they have served in a war.

Comment

Cheers to Hal!

What Barbara and Jenna doing?

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by usmc1:

Don't make me laugh !

Prince Harry couldn't lead his way out of a paper bag. In the worst traditions of royalty he has decided to join the army because he can't do anything else.

He isn't even bright enough to go to university, thats why he joined the army. There have been questions of whether he had help to do his art A level...

He spends most of his time nightclubbing (a recent report had him spending 11500 GBP on a night out - does he do that on his army salary ? )

Anybody who thinks that he's going to be put in anything like a risky situation is deluding themselves. This is a spoilt rich kid with nothing better to do than play soldiers.

Comment

You could be right. But, I would caution you to this. There is no "safe" spot in the region. None, zilch. There is no rear echelon. If you're there, you're in the war zone and your life is at peril.

Of course his SAS lads, charged with his protection, will be about.

And of course, he parties, most kids his age do and he certainly is wealthy enough not to have to eat toad and squeek or lizards and wheezing or whatever is that pub abomination yaw'l seem to set such store by.

Yeah, it's symbolic, and the royals are a bit useless, and poor old Phillip, seems a few pence shy of a quid didn't exactly father a genius.

But maybe the boy will take after the Spencer's, they seem a rough enough lot. And, if he comes up short, the world will know, the lads about him will see to that.

Bottom line, though, he did not have to go and is going. Beau Geste! No white feather for that lad!

Comment

Perhaps Fettler would let us know where he obtained his information concerning Prince Harry’s military prowess.

King George VI (when he was second in line to the throne) fought in the naval battle at Jutland in WWI.As has already been mentioned Prince Andrew served as a helicopter pilot during the Falkland’s conflict and put himself in great danger when he positioned his helicopter in thick smoke close to a burning ship, in danger of exploding at any moment, and skilfully using the downdraft managed to blow life-rafts of survivors away from the ship. I can’t see why Prince Harry won’t behave with equal bravery as his uncle,grandfather and greatgrandfather.
                    I think that it is reprehensible that the Government released the news, as it will place him and those around in even greater danger, as he is sure to become a prized target. It is not unusual for army officers to party well. Tony Blair makes sure that his own movements are kept in the utmost secrecy.

Tony Blair will go in history as the Prime Minister who lied to the nation and embarked on an ill-considered war. He has destroyed almost everything he has been involved in and heaven forbid that he does not add Prince Harry’s death to the list.

Comment

While it may be that Prince Harry is not the most studious, most serious fellow and simply wants to be in the Army for pretty much the same reasons as hundreds of thousands of others of British, American, and Canadian service personnel -- so what?

No, I don't expect the Army will put him in unnecessary danger but I don't think they'll cache him in an undergound bunker. I think usmc1's post nicely describes the sort of commitment, to their credit, that the British Royal Family has shown.

Comment

Petrasm thanks, that crossed my mind too,a bout the press announcing it..but, where I came down was that in a free and opens ociety it is the price that sometimes must be paid.

And, there would have been a chorus of complaints about secrecy to protect the Prince, but when my Charley's unit went in everybody in the world read about it.

Comment

I don't think Prince Harry's deployment could have been kept a secret though I imagine the paparazzi will think twice about trailing him through Iraq.

Comment

The Government can impose a "D" notice,which prohibits publication of security matters. Tony Blair always ensures that his travels to anywhere like Iraq are kept secret. When he arrives he will pose for publicity seeking photos and TV opportunities, but will be safely back in the UK before they are published or broadcast. He is not likely to be a target,as he is the best asset any terrorists have!

Comment

Why are those crazy Brits moving troops from Iraq to Afghanistan? Here's one explanation:
                              http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=686_1171986646

Comment

Working...
                              X