Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Prices

With the current run up in gas prices with regular gas selling for over $3.00 per gallon in California ( and we have not even started Summer gas price run up yet!) what effect have the current prices had on your driving habits? What effect have high gas prices had on your Summer driving plans? Have high gas prices affected the amount that you spend on other items ie food or entertainment?

Now I know that standards of living and everything are different, so calculating this exactly doesn't give a realistic comparison, but...

1 gallon = 3.785 411 8 litre
    1 litre petrol = 90p (ish)
    1 gallon petrol = £3.41 - $6.71

I think a lot of it here is added with tax, but it is a hell of a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by BlobbyBob:
      Now I know that standards of living and everything are different, so calculating this exactly doesn't give a realistic comparison, but...

1 gallon = 3.785 411 8 litre
      1 litre petrol = 90p (ish)
      1 gallon petrol = £3.41 - $6.71

I think a lot of it here is added with tax, but it is a hell of a difference.
      Those kinds of prices would certainly get my attention. I use close to 2 gallons per day in my Ford pick-up so it would really add up over a months time. My last fill-up was at $2.459 per gallon.

Comment

I don't drive myself, nor would I - not just the cost of it all, I think I'd be terrible at driving, but I'm happy enough to use public transport, it is fairly reliable around here, and is better for the environment anyway. Prices are getting silly though - I can go 12 miles on the train to uni cheaper than going 2 miles to town on the bus.

Comment

Gas prices are scary. The main super of a jobsite I work at just bought a Civic cause he could not afford to drive his truck anymore.

My driving habits won't change. I just drive for work, and right now I'm spending about $40 per week on gas. That is unless I have to drive around like I will next week and it'll be about $80, which sucks cause its still not enough milage to where my company will pick up the tab.

I saw a picture in the paper of a protester holding a sign that I found to be interesting. It said "When bush took office, gas was $1.49 per gallon." Its funny and sad at the same time.

Qikdraw

Comment

I bought a 150cc scooter last autumn. Use it for commuting whenever weather permits. 90+ mpg beats 25mpg hands down.

-Mark

Comment

The government of Canada just posted a new budget and in regards to gas-guzzling SUV's (I drive one) has added up to $4000 in taxes on a new one. Also they have given a rebate on some hybrid vehicles.

Comment

Due to my job, I'll drive the same, but just charge more for service calls. Here where I live, Central Valley of California, regular gas is $3.09 (cheapest). The highest around this area is around $3.53 for regular.

Doesn't do any good to complain. They are going to keep raising the prices anyway. Maybe go back to horse and buggy days.

Comment

I can sympathise with how you are all feeling about the price of gas.At the moment down here it is going at $1.51 a litre! It was $1.55 on Monday.Like already has been mentioned here...there is not much we can do about it. Ive also read how its even more expensive in Europe.

Comment

NUDISTS SAVE THE ECONOMY HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS

The more a car and its contents weighs the more fuel it uses - therefore driving nude, as long as you leave your clothes (or most of them) behind the car will use less fuel

JAMES

Comment

Quote by "nudeM"
                      Doesn't do any good to complain. They are going to keep raising the prices anyway. Maybe go back to horse and buggy days.
                      Well if they do go back to horse and buggy a new industry will emerge. "Cleaning up and processing all the horse sh.t for methane gas otherwise we will be six feet deep in it!

Comment

Yes, gas prices are a concern to me as I commute 100 miles a day. I plan all errands and make sure I do them on my way home from work. I have cut out as much driving as I can and during the summers I do not put my boat in the water except on holiday weekends now. I try to be sure that each trip is for a definite purpose and not just to hop in the car and go somewhere on a whim or "oops, forgot to get the bread" and make trips for such forgotten items. And my Taurus wagon gets 28 to 30 mpg on the highway (depnding on speed ... so have learned to quit being a lead foot)

Currently, gas here is $2.49 a gallon down from last week of $2.55 a gallon.

One thing I have notice here (as well as others) how the gas prices differ depending on what neighborhood or section of town you are. Gas is higher per gallon where the more affluent families live. You can actually ride down a road such as Wake Forest Road in Raleigh and see the price per gallon go up as you travel into North Raleigh.

I love how "reasons" are given for raising prices. They raise them simply because they can, no reason is needed.

I also think that the research for alternative fuels and the offering of such fuels will be a reality in the not so distant future. I hope it is so we are less dependent on oil.

Allie

Comment

Posted by Naked Gary:
                          ......we will be six feet deep in it!
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how you look at it, we are deep in it as it is already, only not figuratively speaking.

Comment

I will still drive as much but I know my wife and I will feel it in our budget. I just try to play the game of getting gas in one town or another when its cheaper. In all the years of driving I dont ever remember the prices being all over the place like they are now. It seems like you could drive 2 or 3 hours in any direction years ago and gas prices were pretty much the same, now its anybodys guess what they will be. I like to drive and got to have it so I guess I just deal with it for now.

Comment

I've got a jillion how comes about the deal.

How come when a barrel of sweet goes up, the prices at the the pumps are affected? That barrel has not yet even made it to the refinery, and what's at the pumps was wholesaled at a lower price.

How come every damn competing brand station in town knows the exact instant to switch the price in unison?

How come I see the same unbranded tanker truck filling the underground tanks at the high-price brand stations and then at lower-price brand stations?

How come pump prices are ALWAYS higher in low income areas than in more affluent areas, and way, way HIGHER the closer you get to the interstate?

How come I can't drive all weekend on two-dollars regular? And check my oil and tires, and leave the windshield alone, you'll just smear them.

How come we've become such sheep that we allow the price-gouging and profiteering? Why don't we have a worldwide general stike in protest?

How come, since we've had this problem for three decades, we've have not demanded a national approach in finding a rational mass transportation solution?

How come this administration does nothing to provide relief, as Clinton did with the national reserves?

As to driving less, yeah maybe in a way. Combine and plan optional stuff more, but really taht is a spit in the pond kind of thing. We feel good about being concientious, but no real effect. If my agent calls with an audition, I go; whether in Austin, Houston or Dallas, or elsewhere--likewise other ventures, we do what we have to, but not liking the sound of gas tanks sucking from bank accounts.

Short day trips might come to the point that they require forgoing some other expenditure in order to pay for the gas--mostly out of one pocket into another. Vacations around here are mostly fly and rent deals, so again, the added expense will be offset by not eating out a few times, or some other such offset.

Comment

Working...
                              X