Different Perspective on New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Perspective on New Orleans

The following article is from an African American preacher and author who says what no white person could ever say and not be accused of racism. He feels that African-American leaders need to step up and demand that the African-American communities do more for themselves. Sadly, perspectives such as this are seldom heard as the popular media propogates 'their' side of the story.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 -Moral poverty cost blacks in New Orleans - 1:00 a.m. Eastern

By: Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson, African American Preacher and author.

Say a hurricane is about to destroy the city you live in. Two questions:

What would you do?

What would you do if you were black?

Sadly, the two questions don't have the same answer.

To the first: Most of us would take our families out of that city quickly to protect them from danger. Then, able-bodied men would return to help others in need, as wives and others cared for children, elderly, infirm and the like.

For better or worse, Hurricane Katrina has told us the answer to the second question. If you're black and a hurricane is about to destroy your city, you'll probably wait for the government to save you.

This was not always the case. Prior to 40 years ago, such a pathetic performance by the black community in a time of crisis would have been inconceivable. The first response would have come from black men. They would take care of their families, bring them to safety, and then help the rest of the community. Then local government would come in.

No longer. When 75 percent of New Orleans residents had left the city, it was primarily immoral, welfare-pampered blacks that stayed behind and waited for the government to bail them out. This, as we know, did not turn out good results.

Enter Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan. Jackson and Farrakhan laid blame on "racist" President Bush. Farrakhan actually proposed the idea that the government blew up a levee so as to kill blacks and save whites. The two demanded massive governmental spending to rebuild New Orleans, above and beyond the federal government's proposed $60 billion. Not only that, these two were positioning themselves as the gatekeepers to supervise the dispersion of funds. Perfect: Two of the most dishonest elite blacks in America, "overseeing" billions of dollars. I wonder where that money will end up.

Of course, if these two were really serious about laying blame on government, they should blame the local one. Responsibility to perform legally and practically fell first on the mayor of New Orleans. We are now all familiar with Mayor Ray Nagin the black Democrat who likes to yell at President Bush for failing to do Nagin's job. The facts, unfortunately, do not support Nagin's wailing. As the Washington Times puts it, "recent reports show [Nagin] failed to follow through on his own city's emergency-response plan, which acknowledged that thousands of the city's poorest residents would have no way to evacuate the city."

One wonders how there was "no way" for these people to evacuate the city. We have photographic evidence telling us otherwise. You've probably seen it by now the photo showing 2,000 parked school buses, unused and underwater. How much planning does it require to put people on a bus and leave town, Mayor Nagin?

Instead of doing the obvious, Mayor Nagin (with no positive contribution from Democratic Gov. Kathleen Blanco, the other major leader vested with responsibility to address the hurricane disaster) loaded remaining New Orleans residents into the Superdome and the city's convention center. We know how that plan turned out.

About five years ago, in a debate before the National Association of Black Journalists, I stated that if whites were to just leave the United States and let blacks run the country, they would turn America into a ghetto within 10 years. The audience, shall we say, disagreed with me strongly. Now I have to disagree with me. I gave blacks too much credit. It took a mere three days for blacks to turn the Superdome and the convention center into ghettos, rampant with theft, rape and murder.

President Bush is not to blame for the rampant immorality of blacks. Had New Orleans' black community taken action, most would have been out of harm's way. But most were too lazy, immoral and trifling to do anything productive for themselves.

All Americans must tell blacks this truth. It was blacks' moral poverty not their material poverty that cost them dearly in New Orleans. Farrakhan, Jackson, and other race hustlers are to be repudiated for they will only perpetuate this problem by stirring up hatred and applauding moral corruption. New Orleans, to the extent it is to be rebuilt, should be remade into a dependency-free, morally strong city where corruption is opposed and success is applauded. Blacks are obligated to help themselves and not depend on the government to care for them. We are all obligated to tell them so.

The Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson is founder and president of BOND, the Brotherhood Organization of A New Destiny, and author of "Scam: How the Black Leadership Exploits Black America."

The following article is from an African American preacher and author who says what no white person could ever say and not be accused of racism. He feels that African-American leaders need to step up and demand that the African-American communities do more for themselves. Sadly, perspectives such as this are seldom heard as the popular media propogates 'their' side of the story.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 -Moral poverty cost blacks in New Orleans - 1:00 a.m. Eastern

By: Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson, African American Preacher and author.

Say a hurricane is about to destroy the city you live in. Two questions:

What would you do?

What would you do if you were black?

Sadly, the two questions don't have the same answer.

To the first: Most of us would take our families out of that city quickly to protect them from danger. Then, able-bodied men would return to help others in need, as wives and others cared for children, elderly, infirm and the like.

For better or worse, Hurricane Katrina has told us the answer to the second question. If you're black and a hurricane is about to destroy your city, you'll probably wait for the government to save you.

This was not always the case. Prior to 40 years ago, such a pathetic performance by the black community in a time of crisis would have been inconceivable. The first response would have come from black men. They would take care of their families, bring them to safety, and then help the rest of the community. Then local government would come in.

No longer. When 75 percent of New Orleans residents had left the city, it was primarily immoral, welfare-pampered blacks that stayed behind and waited for the government to bail them out. This, as we know, did not turn out good results.

Enter Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan. Jackson and Farrakhan laid blame on "racist" President Bush. Farrakhan actually proposed the idea that the government blew up a levee so as to kill blacks and save whites. The two demanded massive governmental spending to rebuild New Orleans, above and beyond the federal government's proposed $60 billion. Not only that, these two were positioning themselves as the gatekeepers to supervise the dispersion of funds. Perfect: Two of the most dishonest elite blacks in America, "overseeing" billions of dollars. I wonder where that money will end up.

Of course, if these two were really serious about laying blame on government, they should blame the local one. Responsibility to perform legally and practically fell first on the mayor of New Orleans. We are now all familiar with Mayor Ray Nagin the black Democrat who likes to yell at President Bush for failing to do Nagin's job. The facts, unfortunately, do not support Nagin's wailing. As the Washington Times puts it, "recent reports show [Nagin] failed to follow through on his own city's emergency-response plan, which acknowledged that thousands of the city's poorest residents would have no way to evacuate the city."

One wonders how there was "no way" for these people to evacuate the city. We have photographic evidence telling us otherwise. You've probably seen it by now the photo showing 2,000 parked school buses, unused and underwater. How much planning does it require to put people on a bus and leave town, Mayor Nagin?

Instead of doing the obvious, Mayor Nagin (with no positive contribution from Democratic Gov. Kathleen Blanco, the other major leader vested with responsibility to address the hurricane disaster) loaded remaining New Orleans residents into the Superdome and the city's convention center. We know how that plan turned out.

About five years ago, in a debate before the National Association of Black Journalists, I stated that if whites were to just leave the United States and let blacks run the country, they would turn America into a ghetto within 10 years. The audience, shall we say, disagreed with me strongly. Now I have to disagree with me. I gave blacks too much credit. It took a mere three days for blacks to turn the Superdome and the convention center into ghettos, rampant with theft, rape and murder.

President Bush is not to blame for the rampant immorality of blacks. Had New Orleans' black community taken action, most would have been out of harm's way. But most were too lazy, immoral and trifling to do anything productive for themselves.

All Americans must tell blacks this truth. It was blacks' moral poverty not their material poverty that cost them dearly in New Orleans. Farrakhan, Jackson, and other race hustlers are to be repudiated for they will only perpetuate this problem by stirring up hatred and applauding moral corruption. New Orleans, to the extent it is to be rebuilt, should be remade into a dependency-free, morally strong city where corruption is opposed and success is applauded. Blacks are obligated to help themselves and not depend on the government to care for them. We are all obligated to tell them so.

The Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson is founder and president of BOND, the Brotherhood Organization of A New Destiny, and author of "Scam: How the Black Leadership Exploits Black America."

Comment

Damn it must be nice to have a "token" like rev. Peterson spout the party line.

Notice how quick this was trotted out after the fall from grace of the last "token" mr. Allen was as you know was arrested for shoplifting.

Lieb Dicht Herr Fuhrer!

Comment

Good Article.

Days after the hurricane I was surprised to learn that so many stayed behind. I remember seeing on the news all the buses ready to evacuate any residents that did not have transportation.

I feel bad they lost family members, they should have taken the bus out of harms way and they would still be together.

thanks for sharing

Comment

Yes, all politics aside, heaven forbid an African American preacher, teacher, and author tells other able bodied African Americans to help themselves and not become dependent on the 'white man's charity'. What this minister says applies to all groups. It is one thing to help the truly needy, but quite an entirely different thing to make any race of people dependent on and controlled by government handouts. For some people, Katrina was an event that changed people's lives for the better. Rather then being stuck in some ghetto living on welfare with no chance for education, training, and employment opportunities to build a better life for themselves, this hurricane enabled some to relocate to other cities where there is the hope of building a brighter future. What is the right thing to do here - COMPLETELY rebuild New Orleans and bring people back to their old lives of hopelessness and poverty or help them to help themselves in other areas of the country where there are means to build productive lives for themselves. It would be far cheaper to give each person $100k and each state or city that accepts a relocated person $50k and initially support them to help themselves rather then spend enormous amounts of money to COMPLETELY rebuild New Orleans and bring people back to poverty. Such decisions should be made independent of politics. Sadly, with the poisonous political atmosphere which exists today, discussions of a practical nature are all but impossible.

Comment

It's funny how calling someone a "token" for saying what he feels is ok. That to me is a racist word and term. He raises great questions.

Al the blame can't go to the goverment, it comes down to the person.

I know if a huge storm, so big Bush was told about it, and there was 5 days warning....five days!!!..I would have found a way out of the way of this storm, for my family.

Do the math...walking...5 days X 24 hours = 120 hours.

Ok so out of those 120 hours you WALK at a 3 mph pace....and this is dilly dalling about, for 12 hours a day.

12 hours X 3 mph = 36 miles a day

36 miles a day X 4 days = 144 miles.

You'll still face the wrath of the storm, but you'll be much safer.

For my family I would do this. Not count on the Fed. Gov. for help. As we all know they can't do anything right, so why would I or anyone count on them/it?

If they told me Yellowstone was going to blow....the last thing I would do would be to count on the goverment to assist me.

And after It happened I bet Jessy and Al would be no where near here to "Help" me.

This is no party line, this is just about being responsable for ones self.

That is all he is saying. Stop blaiming others for your situation.

The "Whoa is me" era needs to go away.

At least you didn't call him a "Tom" or "Oreo", that would be racist. Token is ok I guess.

Comment

Yup, them lazy welfare cheats shoulda built their own levies and those who did walk and were stopped by road blocks coulda just jumped in the lake and swum aroun'
              Ever body in your family can swim can't they Jason? They coulda backstroked to Baton Rouge in a couple a days.
              b.l.
              (and BTW that's "woe" not "whoa", but I think I will stop here)

Comment

Well if it's offense to call him a token let him try moron on for size. He seems to be one of the elitist that seems completely oblivious to the fact that not everyone could load up their suv, put $1oo in the tank and put a couple nights at a holiday inn on the credit card. The biggest reasons people stayed was monetary. No car (or least not a dependable one) and/or no place to stay if they did get out. When the waters rose faster than expected those buses had zero chance of getting out. Clowns like that scamming people and providing cover for rank bigotry are disgusting.

Comment

It is not just a matter of walking. If you have children, medical needs, food needs, etc., just walking for several days is not risk free. How many of us could just get up and walk for several days without any idea of where to get food or shelter?

Comment

Two comments:

One, there are several members here who delight in race-baiting and promulgating their hateful and racist philosophies. Reasoning with them is useless---if they had the ability to reason they would not put force their vile and disgustining filth.

If their thinly veiled racism was directed at gays, one has to believe their posts would be edited or removed.

This issue transcends politics and debate or disputation--it is about humanity.

Next comment:

I heard an African American man being interviewed in New Orleans during the early days of the flooding. He said, "My wife and I both work, and between us we made enough to have a small three room apartment. About every three months, I was able to set aside enough to take her out to Picadilly Cafeteria. That was our entertainment. We didn't live, we existed. We didn't have a life, we had an existance, and now that is gone. I don't know how we can carry on or if we want to."

For anyone, anywhere, at anytime to come forward and blame people such as this for being victims of a pernicious economic system and more than two centuries of racist politics and society is beyond cowardly.

As much as I deeply believe in each person's capacity for reform and regeneration and ultimately redemption (John Newton would be such an example), there are moments in which I do despair. After following the same people from thread-to-thread promulgating their racist beliefs, this is one of those moments.

Comment

The 'rev' repeated the media myth about murder, theft and rape at the Superdome and convention center. Conditions were terrible there without power, fresh water, adequate food, working sanitary facilities or other basic necessities, the hallways had turned into open sewers, but there was only 1 reported murder and no rapes, no bodies stacked in the hot unpowered freezers, no breakdown in order as misreported by the press. 50,000 people crowded and subjected to misery, hunger, and a lack of basic necessities and almost no violence or crime - that is an extraordinary testiment to their virtue. The press was so eager to believe in the moral degredation of desperate poor black people that they blithely repeated false stories without fact checking.

The flooded lower ninth ward, home of poor black welfare parasites as described by the press and the good reverend were mostly homeowners - 90% of them owned their homes - how's that compare to the vast (but shrinking) American middle class in the rest of the country? These homeowners are still waiting to learn whether they will even be permitted to repair or rebuild their homes, or if their neighborhoods will be bulldozed.

-Mark

Comment

For your amusement -- a comparison of European and American levees:
                        http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_nov2005/LeveeControl.htm

Comment

Webster’s Dictionary:

Racism: the practice of racial discrimination, hatred, persecution, discrimination.

People obviously read things differently depending on their backgrounds. The reverend stated clearly that if he was white, he would be accused of racism and ostracized. The reverend is entitled to his opinion just as others in this forum are entitled to theirs. Some individuals can see that perhaps the reverend has a valid point and actually wants better for African Americans. To keep any race down with dependency on social programs instead of helping people to help themselves can be considered the real racism and inhumanity. There has been a previous topic in this forum concerning welfare. Most individuals expressed the opinion that to help the actual needy is one thing, but to support capable individuals with their hard earned tax dollars is quite another. Society cannot have it both ways. If society decides to support anyone and everyone including the fit and capable with social support programs, then so be it and those who chose to work will pay very high taxes indeed. Notice how there is a clear separation between those who are actually in need versus those who are not. There are obviously two sides to a coin but if a topic or opinion is expressed here that does not fit within the very narrow minded limitations of certain individuals, then those same individuals personalize their response and attempt to shout out the ‘opposition’. Mature and intelligent individuals are open minded to all sides of a topic and will not resort to child like tantrums just because they can’t have their way or some one else dares to show another side of a topic. As has been mentioned previously in this forum, if an individual does not like the topic, then they can always move on to another topic.

Comment

The practice of the government financially supporting a family indefinitely on the program, "Aid to Families with Dependent Children", is over, if the parent can be employed. There is a time limit for help.

For many years, in Illinois, I have counseled black as well as white families on obtaining training for eventual employment, schlorships for paymernt for training in junior colleges and education elswhere to become crafts-people, transportation problems to get to schooling and employment, budget management, babysitiing problems so they can attend training and for work, referrals to Planned Parenthood clinics and to other agencies, training on how to best present oneself to an employer, etc.

One of the big problems many times, as I see it, is that the wage scale is not high enough for a person to support his/her family. Congress has not increased the minimum wage for years. The greed of the corporations has created a massive problem for employed poor persons. Some in shelters for the homeless are actually employed. What does this say about our nation and congress' responsibility to protect it's citizens from exploitation by the greedy and powerful?

Some hold to the fallacy that black welfare families have large families. Our survey in Illinois showed that the average number of children in welfare families was just over 1 per family.

From my extensive experience, I favor Nudist Mark's comments as more correct.

The vast majority of black mothers are working in jobs in the economy. To label black mothers as not working, living off handouts is just wrong and prejudice. Of course, those affected by the hurricane have many horrible special problems.

Black fathers in the family setting accutely feel an obligation to support their family.

As for unemployed single men, many times, there is little welfare offered them, unless they are disabled.

Comment

Mark and David77 have stated the "real" way of the world and not the hackneyed (stereotypical) view spouted by the "good" rev. and those like him.

Smoke and Mirrors, people, smoke and mirrors ... it's all the starboard ala can do ... they can not stand on their platform, the boards are rotted through and the nails are nothing but rust.

Besides, shouldn't this thread be under the Open Topic (not relating to Nudism) Banner?

Comment

Working...
                              X