Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brokeback Mountain

Comment

Sorry, but I haven't seen, or even heard of the movie. Thanks for bringing it up to our attention. Hope to see it one day in the future.

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by nudeM:
        Sorry, but I haven't seen, or even heard of the movie. Thanks for bringing it up to our attention. Hope to see it one day in the future.

Currently the movie is getting a lot of buzz and great great reviews.

I have yet to see it but will be seeing it next weekend. It is currently playing in large cities due to the nature/content of the film. Bobbi Jo in Mississippi will never know of this movie.

I can not wait to see it and all my friends who have loved it

Comment

I saw a review of the movie on TV and some snips of the film. Apparently it was filmed some years back, but the producer could not get a distributor for the movie because of it's sensitive nature. Many considered the film as yet an unseen masterpiece.

They do not want the film to be referred to as merely "a gay cowboy film", but instead, "an intense love story". The portions of the film that they showed on TV had spectacularly beautiful scenes of Wyoming and Alberta Canada, herds of sheep and mountains and fine acting. The two cowboys became deeply and tenderly in love with each other and, of course, best friends.

REVIEW SUMMARY
          New York Times

The lonesome chill that seeps through Ang Lee's epic western, "Brokeback Mountain," is as bone deep as the movie's heartbreaking story of two cowboys who fall in love almost by accident. One night, when their campfire dies, and the biting cold drives them to huddle together in a bedroll, a sudden spark between Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) flares into an undying flame. Both Mr. Ledger and Mr. Gyllenhaal make this anguished love story physically palpable. Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn. The pain and disappointment felt by Jack, who is softer, more self-aware and self-accepting, continually registers in Mr. Gyllenhaal's sad, expectant silver-dollar eyes. "Brokeback Mountain" is not quite the period piece that some would like to imagine. America's squeaky closet doors may have swung open far enough for a gay rodeo circuit to flourish. But let's not kid ourselves. In large segments of American society, especially in sports and the military, those doors remain sealed. Yet "Brokeback Mountain" is ultimately not about sex (there is very little of it in the film) but about love: love stumbled into, love thwarted, love held sorrowfully in the heart. — Stephen Holden, The New York Times

Comment

Speaking of Brokeback Mountain, did anyone catch the gay cowboy musical skit that Nathan Lane did on Letterman the other night in honor of the movie?? It was HYSTERICAL I highly recommend watching it if anyone could find a clip online, it was so funny.

I haven't seen the movie yet, because I don't go to the movies very often, usually wait for DVD, but I have been meaning to get to the theater to see Rent and Brokeback so hopefully next week sometime.

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by David77:
              The portions of the film that they showed on TV had spectacularly beautiful scenes of Wyoming, herds of sheep and mountains and fine acting.

I was just reading today that the bulk of the filming took place in Alberta, Canada - not Wyoming, USA. Many Hollywood blockbusters are filmed in Canada due to the favorable exchange rate on the dollar.

Comment

Journeyman,
                I'm sorry that I did not give Canada some of the credit for the beautiful scenery. It was filmed in both Wyoming and Alberta, Canada.
                I changed my above post to correct this.

Comment

Well I saw brokeback last night. Its a beautiful movie, although it moves kind of slowly. It does a lot to show how life is out in that part of the country, the attitudes towards homosexuality out there, and how it creates conflict between those two men and their families. The cinetography is beautiful and conveys a lot without words. For someone whom has always lived in more liberal places, a few points in the plot require some suspention of disbeleif, and yes it is slow.

As a gay man I am glad to see a movie involving gay characters that is not the typical young urban kids buddy movie. The ignorance around people that keeps them from being themselves is a big problem in a lot of places, and this movie portrays that beatifuly and tragicly.

Comment

The previews was enough for me!

Comment

Saw it last week in DC and it was a good film.

-Fred

quote:
                      Originally posted by Freedom Guy:
                      The previews was enough for me!

Comment

It's a movie that I'd like to see. Unfortunatly, it is not playing in my area. It is playing only in Quebec City, Montreal and Ottawa.

As if people in smaller cities like Trois-Rivieres, Sherbrooke and Saguenay were not interested in the lives of gay people.

I will surly see it in the future, but I do not know when...

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by Tara:
                          Speaking of Brokeback Mountain, did anyone catch the gay cowboy musical skit that Nathan Lane did on Letterman the other night in honor of the movie?? It was HYSTERICAL I highly recommend watching it if anyone could find a clip online, it was so funny.

Brokeback, the Musical

-Mark

Comment

Cuz, the link does not work for me.

I get an icon for what I think is "quick-time" and then in a few seconds an icon for film, and that is all.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by David77:
                              Cuz, the link does not work for me.

It is a quicktime movie file. It won't work if you don't have quicktime installed. You also may find it works better if you download it first (left click and "save target as" or "save Link as"). 23 MB big, and it looks like it is on a slow or very busy server.

-Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X