Classic Sports Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Sports Cars

The topic of Classic Sports Cars was suggested on "Topic of Conversation" thread and it is a good topic, so let's have at it fellas.
    (with all apologies to the female car enthusiasts out there please join in the conversation)

You want our favorites?

Volvo P1800
    Alpha Romero 2000 it GT (circa 1974)
    Triumph TR6
    Citroen SM
    BMW 2002
    Mercedes 300 SL
    Aston Martin DB5 (I am a huge Bond fan and Goldfinger is favorite.)
    Ford Thunderbird 1969
    Porsche 914 (I am a geek)
    VW Kharmann Ghia (told you I am a geek!)

Comment

my 914 is mad at me

Comment

Shelby GT-500 convertable
        A nice Super Bee, with the Hemi
        65 Mustang convertable.....like I used to have.

Comment

Kinda off topic, but I am getting the 57 ready for the summer cruising.

Comment

my 57 is mad at me too

Comment

Have had a Triumph TR 3, with the low-cut doors, and an Alfa Duetto Jr. (this is like the one Dustin Hoffman drove under a truck; mine had the European 1300 cc engine with 4 carb throats at 40mm each).

Comment

Atlanta Runner: Do you have all of those? Or is that your list of favorites? In order of preference?

The Volvo is what The Saint drove in the TV series, if my memory is correct.

The first car I ever bought was a 1968 BMW 1600 back in 1974. Second car was a 1955 Mercedes 190SL. I still know their serial numbers.

Now I have a 1975 BMW 1502 and a 1973 Porsche 914. I want to get a roadster of some sort.

Why is there a TV in front of my typewriter and where do I put the paper?

Comment

Some of the cars I have owned or still own are:
                  1953 MG TD-sold to a collector in about 1980
                  1958 MGA-sold to brother who promptly totaled and sold as parts-photo is representative of the car
                  1975 MGB-sold to junk yard when it died the final time
                  1978 Mazda RX-7-first of the luxury models with leather interior, sunroof, and special gold paint-sold to a collector

Non-sport owned or still owned:
                  1953 Cadillac El Dorado convertible-black body,red interior-sold to a collector
                  1957 Cadillac El Dorado-white with red leather interior (first of the bigger fin models)-sold to a collector
                  1963 Lincoln 4-dr convertible-suicide doors, silver body, white leather interior-still have in storage and bring out for parades, summer drives, and shows

I have always enjoyed cars and am now looking for another to play with, restore, and enjoy!

Comment

Among my favorites would have to be the XK Jag series and the Porsche 928. There are many others, I have never owned either of the above but currently own an 89 Toyota Supra (NA) with modified suspension that just blew the engine. Also would have to put the Shelby Cobra on the list!

Comment

Those are just my favorites. Are there any car shows around Atlanta with the 60s to 70s European models? I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of Bel Airs on display at most car shows.

Comment

Atlanta Runner there are a couple of monster carshows around here that have any car you can imagine at them. They are held at Lowes MotorSpeedway.

I'm not a "classic" Classic Sports Car man myself, I prefer the "Muscle" Sports Cars, i.e., the early Firebirds, Thunderbirds, SuperStock Cutlasses & Torinos or the really early Sports Cars such as the Bugatti and 'Lil Duce Coupe' types.
                        Although I would not turn down a Lamborgini Testarossa should one be offered to me.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by NudistGuy47:
                          Some of the cars I have owned or still own are:
                          1953 MG TD-sold to a collector in about 1980
                          1958 MGA-sold to brother who promptly totaled and sold as parts-photo is representative of the car
                          1975 MGB-sold to junk yard when it died the final time
                          1978 Mazda RX-7-first of the luxury models with leather interior, sunroof, and special gold paint-sold to a collector

Non-sport owned or still owned:
                          1953 Cadillac El Dorado convertible-black body,red interior-sold to a collector
                          1957 Cadillac El Dorado-white with red leather interior (first of the bigger fin models)-sold to a collector
                          1963 Lincoln 4-dr convertible-suicide doors, silver body, white leather interior-still have in storage and bring out for parades, summer drives, and shows

I have always enjoyed cars and am now looking for another to play with, restore, and enjoy!

My brother and I drove the hell out of matching 1958 MGAs, his was the same red as yours and mine was black. His was rag top only, mine had a rag top and a removeable hard top.

Damn that picture makes me want to weep, I had some fun--better babe magnet than a dog.

They had frail little engines that you'd drive on the weekend and spend the rest of the week repairing.

The engine in the baby Nash was interchangeable with the MG's and we prowled every junk yard in the midwest finding junked baby Nash's for heads and blocks after we blew ours apart racing.

Another favorite was the Jag, XKE. Whee doggies, used to come slamming out of Camp Pendleton heading for Laguna Beach - back when it was an art colony before it got yupped out, and pull in front of the Almost Inn, and fight off the women.

Heck dang them were the days my friend, them were the days.

Comment

Just a short list of sports cars I would love to have but
                            a) don't have the money for and
                            b) don't have the room for Maybe if my lottery numbers come up...

Jaguar XK120 roadster
                            Jaguar E-type MkI
                            'Spidget' (if you have to ask...)
                            Porsche 356 c
                            Porsche 904
                            Porsche 912 (NOT 911)
                            Mercedes W113
                            Reliant Scimitar
                            Bristol 411
                            Lamborghini Muira
                            Lamborghini Espada
                            Maseratti Bora
                            Saleen S-7
                            Ferrari 330GTC
                            Ferrari 400i
                            Fiat 850 Spyder
                            Fiat X1-9
                            Volvo1800S
                            Corvette C1 ('61 or '62)
                            Corvette C-2 (63-67, any)
                            Ford GT (current)
                            Mazda Miata MkI
                            Lotus Elan (early '60s, take one look and you will know where the Miata came from)

And be forewarned, the list is NOT all-inclusive.

BTW, I almost bought a new BMW 1600 way back in 1970. Base price was about $2500 plus 'mandentory' extras. Since I was 19 at the time the dealer said I would need a co-signer. Pops refused to co-sign for a 'furrin thing' I was out of luck.
                            DRATS!!

Comment

When I was in college (Cham-bana) and the 240Z came out, I went to the local dealer to check it out and, of course I liked it. It is still on my list of desirable cars. But they had a Jag XK 120 or 150 on their lot. I don't remember which or for some reason $2500 comes to mind also. Another one that got away.

Fred, the BMW 1600 was the first car I ever bought after college and I still think it was the most fun one I've ever had. But then I could drive a little wilder. Got responsibilties now.

Also, Fred, I have responded to your private message. Be patient with me.

Why is there a TV in front of my typewriter and where do I put the paper?

Comment

Working...
                              X