Butter Up or Down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butter Up or Down?

This isn't original but I thought I would share. We have all heard that bread always lands butter side down and a cat always lands on it's feet. What happens when you put butter on a cats back and drop it?

Comment

the cat always will land on the bread, you shouldn't be buttering a cat in the first place...

Comment

My question is just who would knock a perfectly good slice of buttered bread off the table anyway?

Comment

just from personal experience - every time i lose a piece of buttered bread it's butter side down.

Comment

Originally posted by jon71:
            This isn't original but I thought I would share. We have all heard that bread always lands butter side down and a cat always lands on it's feet. What happens when you put butter on a cats back and drop it?
            That's easy...the cat jumps straight UP and claws the piss out of you!

Comment

Originally posted by keith bricker:
              just from personal experience - every time i lose a piece of buttered bread it's butter side down.
              c'mon Keith, admit it - that's because every time the bread lands buttered side up, you pick it up - 5 second rule!

Comment

Originally posted by florida-david:
                the cat always will land on the bread, you shouldn't be buttering a cat in the first place...
                See there you go, another little life's lesson.

One of my first as a child was that no matter how hard I tried, I was never going to be able to baptize the cat.

Another was that cats don't herd worth a damn!.

Comment

If you do it right the rapidly spinning cat/buttered-toast combination will hover just above the floor. This is a basic force of nature we would be fooling around with so don't try this one at home. It could be dangerous.

Again, not original.

Comment

I am very glad we are starting the year out with such deep philosophical thinking. I voted either because that has been my experience.

Mark, the five second rule does not apply if the bread falls butter side down. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by shaybare:
                      Mark, the five second rule does not apply if the bread falls butter side down. Enjoy.
                      Of course, that is why Keith would only "lose" the bread if it landed butter down.

-Mark

Comment

On Discovery Channel, there is a cool show called "Mythbusters" that tests urban legends, old wives' tales, and other similar lore. They actually tested the buttered bread conundrum.

In their experiment, they used toast, which may differ from untoasted bread. But they found that it doesn't matter unless you press down hard enough while spreading the butter. If that's the case, then the chances are slightly better that it will land butter side up as the indentation will affect the air flow on that side.

They also tested the 5 second rule and discovered the kind of food mattered more than the time. So shay is correct that if bread lands butter side up, it will collect less germs than if the butter hit the floor.

Bob S.

Comment

This thread reminds me of a cartoon I once saw, a man knocks his toast on the floor, which lands butter side down, he picks it up pulls of some hairs, flicks off some dirt then eats it, then takes the second slice and dabs the floor with the buttered side.

Comment

It depends on how much the bread cost. Wonder bread lands butter up. Fancy expensive bread will slide down the cabinet, bounce off your pants leg, get stepped on by the dog, and pick up three dust bunnies before winding up under the trash bin - butter side down.

Comment

So far the majority goes with butter side down.
                              Does anyone know what that means?

Comment

Working...
                              X