Tragedy at our campus'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragedy at our campus'

With today's tragedy at Virginia Tech, it makes one wonder if our education system is on it's way to decline. Just so happens, that this happened on or about the anniversary of Columbine. What makes our campus's so attractive to these 'killers'? Is it easy access, easy targets, etc.?

With all of the bad news around the country on our campus's, elementary through college, it seems like our kids are open targets for just about anybody who decides to go ballistic.

Could this trigger a new debate on gun bans? I hope not, but I'm afraid it's going to happen, although in this case, it is not the issue. But rest assured, it will become an issue for those who support outlawing guns.

I was at the VA hospital all day, so all I was able to get was bits and pieces of the news. Wow, 32, including the gunman. I don't know any answers, but something has to be done to make our educational institutions safe.

My heart just aches for everyone, just numb. My prayers are with everyone too. May God bless them all.

Comment

Firstly, latest say 33 dead... Just to let you know.
      Secondly, college can be a rough environment. I'm currently enrolled (not at VT) and sometimes feel as if I'm on a rollercoaster of stress. I don't know what the gunman was going through, but if he was a student, it is very likely that the rigors of the institution drove him to it.
      It saddens me that the school didn't lock down after the first incident in the residence hall. Everyone should have been kept where they were and campus, local, and state cops should have swarmed the entire campus to ensure student safety.

Comment

Very sad day indeed. My prayers to all those families.

Comment

We all cannot even imagine the grief that is overwhelming the families and friends of the people killed. Just devistating.

About ten years ago a crazy gunman killed about 30 people in a tourist cafe in Tasmania. Almost immediatly the Australian Government banned ALL guns except those issued under strict licence conditions to people like security police, farmers, guns sports club members. I am a licenced farmer and still have my rifles.

Automatic rifles and handguns are almost impossible to get a licence for.

JAMES

Comment

I send out alot of prayers to all of the families, and friends of all of these wonderful people. It's so scarey to think that going to school is getting this bad.

I just try to understand why people have to be so cruel, but it seems to be all over.

YES alot has to be done in regards to our schools, weather it be college, or high school, or beginning of pre-school. More law enforcement needs to be present, and be seen for the protection of everyone. That's why on their cars, It states: " To protect and serve" I think the need to live up to that standard

Originally posted by nudeM:
            With today's tragedy at Virginia Tech, it makes one wonder if our education system is on it's way to decline. Just so happens, that this happened on or about the anniversary of Columbine. What makes our campus's so attractive to these 'killers'? Is it easy access, easy targets, etc.?

With all of the bad news around the country on our campus's, elementary through college, it seems like our kids are open targets for just about anybody who decides to go ballistic.

Could this trigger a new debate on gun bans? I hope not, but I'm afraid it's going to happen, although in this case, it is not the issue. But rest assured, it will become an issue for those who support outlawing guns.

I was at the VA hospital all day, so all I was able to get was bits and pieces of the news. Wow, 32, including the gunman. I don't know any answers, but something has to be done to make our educational institutions safe.

Comment

So sad what happened, my thoughts are with the families.

Comment

Originally posted by nakedstudent:
                Firstly, latest say 33 dead... Just to let you know.
                Secondly, college can be a rough environment. I'm currently enrolled (not at VT) and sometimes feel as if I'm on a rollercoaster of stress. I don't know what the gunman was going through, but if he was a student, it is very likely that the rigors of the institution drove him to it.
                It saddens me that the school didn't lock down after the first incident in the residence hall. Everyone should have been kept where they were and campus, local, and state cops should have swarmed the entire campus to ensure student safety.
                Just for the record, it's 2,600 acres and 26K students. And it was 2 separate incidents, 2 hours apart. The one incident area was secured and appeared isolated.

It would be like locking down a city over any incident that happened.

And some of our universities here in Va. have classes and dorms scattered throughout the city. Between classrooms are dozens or residences, shops, civilians galore.

Comment

All I have to say is...

What was the point in this? This was just a waste of good people's lives... over what?

I do agree though, I hope this does not become another political football.

Comment

Our thougts and prayers go out to all the families , friends and fellow students too

I am at a loss for words.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Guy Productions:
                      YES alot has to be done in regards to our schools, weather it be college, or high school, or beginning of pre-school. More law enforcement needs to be present, and be seen for the protection of everyone.
                      Not realistic. Who pays for the extra police?

If the schools are locked down, they can just drive down the road to the local mall. You can't secure every place where large groups of people gather.

Comment

We all grieve hearing the news at Virginia Tech and we are left wondering what possesses such inhumane and absurd behavior. Our thoughts and prayers should be directed to the victims and their families and to all affected by this tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by nudeM:
                          NudeM, why do you say "it is not the issue"?

It was a terrible, terrible event to happen. Senseless.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the murderer(s) had some kind of automatic firearm(s) to do that much carnage. Why would an ordinary person need these kind of weapons if not for killing people?

Why can't guns be more restricted in the US? I admire the USA in many ways, but the seemingly open use and availability of automatic guns is mind-boggling idiocy to me.

Comment

Not gonna be helped!People are gonna turn this into another political football.

Rather than waste time figuring out how to take the stinger away from the bee, let's explore the reason the bee stings!

I work around the Columbine High School, and friday is the 8th anniversary, so this VT tragedy is bringing back those ill feelings!
                            I cannot pass one day by that school without thinking about that day...and the victims.
                            As a matter of fact, I cannot pass the former house of one of the cowardly killers without getting a chill!

What is it about April?
                            Waco=April 19th 1992
                            O.K. City= April 19th 1995
                            Columbine=April 20th 1999
                            HITLER'S B-DAY =April 20th
                            TAX DAY!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by R.M.GREENMAN2:
                              Not gonna be helped!People are gonna turn this into another political football.

Rather than waste time figuring out how to take the stinger away from the bee, let's explore the reason the bee stings!

I work around the Columbine High School, and friday is the 8th anniversary, so this VT tragedy is bringing back those ill feelings!
                              I cannot pass one day by that school without thinking about that day...and the victims.
                              As a matter of fact, I cannot pass the former house of one of the cowardly killers without getting a chill!

What is it about April?
                              Waco=April 19th 1992
                              O.K. City= April 19th 1995
                              Columbine=April 20th 1999
                              HITLER'S B-DAY =April 20th
                              TAX DAY!!!!
                              This is a terrible tragedy. I hope we can find useful ways to prevent this from happening in the future.

I was just listening to a program on CBC radio where they interviewed an expert on this type of crime. He said that April is indeed significant because a lot of these killers tend to be copy cats. Since many of these types of crimes happen in April, this should be taken into consideration. He also suggested that the shooter most likely did give many signals/warning signs of this event. Perhaps we do need to look at the research and try to find better ways to respond. Simplistic responses like more police are not the answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X