Musical "The Full Monty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical "The Full Monty"

Yesterday my lady-friend and I attended the musical on stage called "The Full Monty" which is a rough adaptation of the British movie of the same name, but the movie is not a musical. The American musical version is set in Buffalo New York but the British version was set in Manchester England I believe.

Both the movie and the musical deals with the fact of laborers out of work trying to gain back their freeling of self-worth even though they are unemployed, and also trying to devise a way to raise some cash to pay their outstanding bills that have piled up.

These men get the idea of selling tickets to their planned stage performance akin to the Chipendale men's performance of taking off their clothes while dancing. "The full monty" is an English term for "complete nudity". Incidentally, there is ample skin showing both in the movie as well as the play/musical but never shows complete frontal nudity as they place their hat over their genitals.

As I remember the movie, it is not rebald, or vulgar, but the play/musical is vulgar with grinds and bumps like old burlesque, plus juvenile joking about taking off one's clothes.

A true nudist would be annoyed at such an attitude about taking off clothing and becoming nude. I did not find that the problem of removing one's clothings was funny like the rest in the audience did. I also felt that not whole-heartedly accepting and honoring the nude form was objectionable, and presenting the body in a vulgar way with "grinds and bumps" lacked true high-value and celebration of the nude body, and some may say "holy" nude form.

The movie was good, but the vulgar musical I did not care for. Has anyone seen the musical, and if so, do you disagree with this assesment of this comedy/musical?

Yes, I've seen both the movie and the stage version. Enjoyed them both immensely. You're right that the play isn't about "true" nudism, and of course the intended audience isn't the "true" nudists among us. I thought it was both funny and touching. I'll take your word for it that some of the jokes were vulgar and juvenile; I really don't remember that stuff. However I wasn't offended at the time.

I thought that moment at the end where the cast does the full monty was ingenious. In the end the joke was on the audience.

Comment

Originally posted by David77:
      Yesterday my lady-friend and I attended the musical on stage called "The Full Monty" which is a rough adaptation of the British movie of the same name, but the movie is not a musical. The American musical version is set in Buffalo New York but the British version was set in Manchester England I believe.
      No it was Sheffield, South Yorkshire.

These men get the idea of selling tickets to their planned stage performance akin to the Chipendale men's performance of taking off their clothes while dancing. "The full monty" is an English term for "complete nudity".
      No, its British slang for the whole hog, to go all the way, etc.

The movie was good, but the vulgar musical I did not care for. Has anyone seen the musical, and if so, do you disagree with this assesment of this comedy/musical?
      I just thought it was very funny, it was actually a sarcastic parody of the Chippendales routine, and I fail to see how music can be vulgar, the vulgarity is in your mind, music is just a series of noises emitted by musical instruments.

Pete Knight

Comment

David77;

I have not seen either but I understand what you are getting at.

If a human body is nude or clothed so as to accentuate human dignity, that is wonderful.

If the human body is nude or clothed so as to exploit and degrade human dignity, I dislike that also.

Comment

Working...
        X