Woodstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodstock

Hey everyone. I hope this subject is not far out or off the wall. But as many of you may know, this is the 38-year anniversary of Woodstock that took place in upstate New York. Would it be too silly of a question to ask if anyone here on the forum was actually there on that date? I am just wondering.

Ken Palmer

P.S.- I am hoping this topic is in the correct category this time.

Correct category Ken.

Now as to Woodstock, I think it rained. There was four days long about August of '69 that are a bit fuzzy around the edges. I seem to recall somebody saying we where at a farm and everything was damp and muddy.

Comment

Hey nacktman. I thank you for your reply. Were you actually there? I was only about three years old during that time. I heard it rained for at least one day, not all four unless I am wrong. But I do recall reading about and seeing on television coverage of people playing and sliding in the mud. It looked more than rustic to me!

Ken Palmer

Originally posted by nacktman:
      Correct category Ken.

Now as to Woodstock, I think it rained. There was four days long about August of '69 that are a bit fuzzy around the edges. I seem to recall somebody saying we where at a farm and everything was damp and muddy.

Comment

Could've only rained one day, the details are a wee bit fuzzy about the edges.
        Oh and yes I was there, or at least my friends tell me I was there ... and there are a bunch of photos of us covered with mud and carrying our guitars in what looks like the country around Woodstock, NY from the time I went through it a couple of years ago, fading in the family photo-album.

Comment

I posted a clip on my blog about Woodstock:

Woodstock

Comment

I wasn't even born yet, but I have that Hendrix where he did the star spangled banner...

omg. legendary. I would've loved to been alive around that time. Summer of love, haight & ashbury, golden gate park, greatful dead, janis joplin, vietnam war protest, the music...

Comment

Thanks for the link Elendil. It took me back 'a few years', but brought back some memories. Being from California, I definately wasn't there, and I was a little too young as well in 1969 (6th grade). But I do remember the songs of that era.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacramento Jesse:
                I wasn't even born yet, but I have that Hendrix where he did the star spangled banner...

omg. legendary. I would've loved to been alive around that time. Summer of love, haight & ashbury, golden gate park, greatful dead, janis joplin, vietnam war protest, the music...
                Nope, didn't go. But, dug on it anyway. Jesse, yes you missed a great era by being born so young. I think I missed part of the era too, but you'll have to buy the book for that story.

And then came paraquat, the 80s, disco, aids, and country-pop, Reagan, and the downward spiral began.

To answer the question again, no I wasn't there but I knew a girl who had been there and she allowed as to how in the long run she'd have rather seen the movie than to be in it.

Comment

i was in my teens then. remember it well. i did not attend but remember hearing about all the traffic congestion and how the locals didn't care for it.

Comment

I was not at Woodstock, that is why every June here in Tennessee they have Bonnaroo , which is a very big music and arts festival on a 700 acre farm. It is as much like the original Woodstock as it can get, big name bands, and a very huge crowd 80,000 plus. check it out www.bonnaroo.com

Comment

The Woodstock festival was not held at Woodstock, it was held a Bethel which is about 50 miles from Woodstock. The organizers used the name of Woodstock because it was known for its artists community. I believe that they tried to have the festival at Woodstock but they were refused.
                      We had planned to go to the festival as we were on vacation that week. When we saw the line of cars parked along the highway we decided to forgo the pleasure as my wife and I both try to avoid crowds. I wonder what memories we would have if we had not driven off.

Comment

If anyone has $8 million dollars to spare, Yasgur's farm is for sale. For those who don't recognize the name, the Woodstock festival was held in his alfalfa field.

Comment

I recall seeing a movie about the event.

There were scenes of skinnydipping (and I believe nude frisbee tossing.) These participants were really enjoying the experience.) It made the viewer wish they had been there and been part of this.

Comment

The event occured about 15 years before I was born, but I would've loved to have participated too.

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Nu:
                              I recall seeing a movie about the event...
                              I wasn't there, no, but I did see that movie the following year, 1970, in Kansas City. And I was shocked, SHOCKED! There was NUDITY in it!

(It was before I became a nudist. )

The only song I remember from the movie was Jimi Hendrix caterwauling "Freeee-dom! Freeee-dom!"

Comment

Working...
                              X