Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nacktman
    replied
    Dadburnit, yeh youn' fellers is a'making me feel old wit' all this 'it happened afore I was born'd' stuff yeh bea yammering on about!

Leave a comment:

• Bob S.
    replied
    The closest I came to Woodstock was attending an Elementary school here with that same name.

Go Woodchucks!

Bob S.

Leave a comment:

• TANZ
    replied
    The movie is also available to watch,FOR FREE on a few movie download sites.
    Great music wish I was there to watch Jimi do that to his guitar live.Mind you if I was there I probably would not remember it.

Cheers
    kiwi

Leave a comment:

• nudebushwalker
    replied
    I have an album (on vinyl - 3 record set..), here somewhere;
    and I've seen that movie/documentary a few times - dope and LSD were also a part of many peoples' 'freedom' experiences as well, and well in evidence in the movie..

I reckon the nudity was incidental to the festival itself, (and not a central issue..), and just another one of these 'freedoms' some of the participants were enjoying there.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinct
    replied
    Originally posted by Nu:
    I recall seeing a movie about the event.

There were scenes of skinnydipping (and I believe nude frisbee tossing.) These participants were really enjoying the experience.) It made the viewer wish they had been there and been part of this.
    The movie is available on DVD. It's consided to be among the best concert films ever made (I'd put it in my top 5). The film shows some of the negatives as well as the positive aspects of the festival, plenty of music, and does give a sense of the "vibe" that was what really separated the original concert from the attempts at anniversary "Woodstocks".

I was too young to go (6 years old at the time), one of my sisters claims she tried to go, but couldn't get there due to closed roads. One friend went but, like others, doesn't remember much.

If I remember correctly, although they weren't really out to make a profit, the organizers took a bath financially on the festival itself and didn't recoup their investments until the album and movie sales paid off years later.

My niece has been to Bonaroo, and from what she says and from info I've seen on the web about it, it does look like the closest thing to Woodstock since the original concert, but no cigar.

Dave C.

Leave a comment:

• missouriboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Nu:
    I recall seeing a movie about the event...
    I wasn't there, no, but I did see that movie the following year, 1970, in Kansas City. And I was shocked, SHOCKED! There was NUDITY in it!

(It was before I became a nudist. )

The only song I remember from the movie was Jimi Hendrix caterwauling "Freeee-dom! Freeee-dom!"

Leave a comment:

• S.M.A.
    replied
    The event occured about 15 years before I was born, but I would've loved to have participated too.

Stuart

Leave a comment:

• Nu
    replied
    I recall seeing a movie about the event.

There were scenes of skinnydipping (and I believe nude frisbee tossing.) These participants were really enjoying the experience.) It made the viewer wish they had been there and been part of this.

Leave a comment:

• harveym
    replied
    If anyone has $8 million dollars to spare, Yasgur's farm is for sale. For those who don't recognize the name, the Woodstock festival was held in his alfalfa field.

Leave a comment:

• harveym
    replied
    The Woodstock festival was not held at Woodstock, it was held a Bethel which is about 50 miles from Woodstock. The organizers used the name of Woodstock because it was known for its artists community. I believe that they tried to have the festival at Woodstock but they were refused.
    We had planned to go to the festival as we were on vacation that week. When we saw the line of cars parked along the highway we decided to forgo the pleasure as my wife and I both try to avoid crowds. I wonder what memories we would have if we had not driven off.

Leave a comment:

• webbguy
    replied
    I was not at Woodstock, that is why every June here in Tennessee they have Bonnaroo , which is a very big music and arts festival on a 700 acre farm. It is as much like the original Woodstock as it can get, big name bands, and a very huge crowd 80,000 plus. check it out www.bonnaroo.com

Leave a comment:

• nudenwv
    replied
    i was in my teens then. remember it well. i did not attend but remember hearing about all the traffic congestion and how the locals didn't care for it.

Leave a comment:

• usmc1
    replied
    Originally posted by Sacramento Jesse:
    I wasn't even born yet, but I have that Hendrix where he did the star spangled banner...

omg. legendary. I would've loved to been alive around that time. Summer of love, haight & ashbury, golden gate park, greatful dead, janis joplin, vietnam war protest, the music...
    Nope, didn't go. But, dug on it anyway. Jesse, yes you missed a great era by being born so young. I think I missed part of the era too, but you'll have to buy the book for that story.

And then came paraquat, the 80s, disco, aids, and country-pop, Reagan, and the downward spiral began.

To answer the question again, no I wasn't there but I knew a girl who had been there and she allowed as to how in the long run she'd have rather seen the movie than to be in it.

Leave a comment:

• nudeM
    replied
    Thanks for the link Elendil. It took me back 'a few years', but brought back some memories. Being from California, I definately wasn't there, and I was a little too young as well in 1969 (6th grade). But I do remember the songs of that era.

Leave a comment:

• Sacramento Jesse
    replied
    I wasn't even born yet, but I have that Hendrix where he did the star spangled banner...

omg. legendary. I would've loved to been alive around that time. Summer of love, haight & ashbury, golden gate park, greatful dead, janis joplin, vietnam war protest, the music...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X