No announcement yet.

A very breif history of New Years day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very breif history of New Years day.

What day does the first of the year fall on?
    It wasn't always January 1st you know.

The ancient Babylonians celebrated the start of the new year on March 23rd, for example, a pretty neat trick for a people with no written calendar.

Over time what we call the Roman calendar was developed using the Lunar cycles until 46 bce(before common era) when Julius Caesar switched to a solar cycle calendar (julian calendar) and declared January 1st to be the first day of the year.

During medieval times the catholic church declared December 25th as New Years day to legitamize their co-opting the Celtic winter festival until they changed their minds and declared March 25th to be the first of the year to legitamize their co-opting of the Celtic spring festival (do I detect a theme here, humm?).

In 1582 pope gregory XIII ordered a new calendar (gregorian calendar) and again decreed January 1st to be the first day of the year. However many countries resisted this calendar and refused to adopt it until the last holdout adopted it in 1752.

The gregorian calendar is the one we use today so we celebrate New Years day on January 1st (at least for now).

I expect that it will stay right where it is from now on. Remember all of the money spent on computer programs for Y2K? Changing the start of the year could be just as bad.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I always like to learn different things.

Comment

Or we can go back to the old Celtic/Nordic and call Oct31st New years Eve!

Comment

Greenman that would make too much sense so I don't think it would happen.

Especially after all these years of trying to erase the Sowen/Samhain celebrations of the new year by the catholic church, ain't done a real good job of it though, so maybe we can go back to the more accurate Celtic calendar after all.

Comment

Working...
          X