Memorial Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day

Many of us will be traveling this weekend to celebrate Memorial Day and the official start of Summer. Many of us will also be having back yard cookouts. However, let us not forget the real reason for Memorial Day and that is to remember those who are no longer with us - the armed services personel who were killed in wartime. Please, let us all take a few minutes to also remember our living troops who are stationed throughout the world as well as in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Many of us will be traveling this weekend to celebrate Memorial Day and the official start of Summer. Many of us will also be having back yard cookouts. However, let us not forget the real reason for Memorial Day and that is to remember those who are no longer with us - the armed services personel who were killed in wartime. Please, let us all take a few minutes to also remember our living troops who are stationed throughout the world as well as in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Comment

Thank you for bringing this up.

I paid lip service to this holiday in the past. I knew it's origins we put our flag out etc. However I know the true meaning of this holiday first hand now. I will be going to the grave of a young Marine who died in Iraq this year. He would have been 21 this year but a suicide bomber ended any chance of that. Freedom isn't free, remember those who gave up all their tomorrows for our today.

Comment

Hey Sanslines. You are 100% correct on this post! A lot of us tend to take this holiday for granted and miss the real meaning of it and what it stands for. I admit I was guilty of it as well, so I am not going to down or slam other people for doing it. Yes, we celebrate by possibly going to the beach or firing up the barbecue grill. But indeed we do need to remember our fallen heroes who have given the ultimate sacrifice as well as the living who are currently serving in high-risk areas such as Iraq and Afghanistan and other war-zone areas. Nevertheless, I hope everyone here will have a relaxed and enjoyable holiday on Monday. And for those of you who will be travelling, please be careful and be safe!

Ken Palmer

P.S.- Without these ultimate sacrifices, we would not have the freedom to practice our beloved lifestyle of nudism or any other ideals or concepts!

quote:
        Originally posted by Sanslines:

Comment

Old General Logan's (Commander: Grand Army of the Republic)General Order #11 creating Decoration Day has morphed a bit with the passage of time. Originally intended to honor and decorate the graves of Union dead in Arlington Cemetary it quickly became an occasion to decorate and visit the graves of both Union and Confederate dead.

As they will, politicians and nabobs inserted themselves into the process and the day soon included speeches, political and patriotic rallies and parades. Some communities still follow these or similar rites.

In many areas the day also became the day to visit the graves of all loved ones, not just military; and clean, decorate and place flowers. Later there would be community celebrations or observances with picnics or big family gatherings and dinners. Evenings usually included some sort of band concert or fireworks display.

At some point, probably when Community Chest became United Way, Decoration Day became Memorial Day and part of a three-day weekend starting the summer vacation season. The concurrent fragmentation of family and community as people moved all over the country in search of jobs and careers contributed as much as anything, I think, to Memorial day turning into a holiday more than a day of observance.

Many kids now grow up never visiting the graves of grandparents and other relatives, or helping their parents clean and tidy those graves each year. Nor do they hear the family stories of long-dead relatives..."Yeah honey, that was Uncle Dirkson, we all called him Dirk. Boy, he had this mule that..."

Nor do they learn to honor and respect that has gone before them.

But, before that happened, down in Little Eygypt, where I spent most of my Memorial Days, there would be church, then we'd trek to our various cemetaries and place flowers and clean and tidy and listen as the elders reminisced...and we kids kept our damned mouths shut!

Then in the early afternoon there would be a huge family gathering and meal of fried chicken and grandma Martin's chicken and dumplings, big thick pork chops, smoked ham, new potatoes cooked up with green beans, creamed pearl onions, creamed califlower, sliced tomatoes, green onions kept cool in a glass of water, mashed potatoes, cream gravy with chicken giblets, beans, radishes, salads and ambrosias of every description, a platter full of piping hot biscuits fresh out of grandmas coal-oil "cook stove" slathered with butter churned from cow's milk that morning kept cool in a lard can on a string down in the well, syrupy iced-tea heavy with sugar, pies, cakes and cobblers of all berry and fruit varities.

The adults talked about family history, politics and current events and again we kids listened and kept our damned mouths shut.

Then in the early evening the kids and the younger adults would leave the oldsters to nap on the porch and walk out to the edge of town to the American Legion post and watch the local men and boys play the team from Carmi or Benton or Burnt Prarie.

The veterans would wear their uniforms, or at least the uniform parts they could still get into---for some that was only a cap with the blue infantry braid. After the ball game there would be a fire-works display, paid for by part of the proceeds from the slot machines inside the post.

Those days are gone, along with 12-cent a gallon gasoline and women out sweeping the curb at 10 in the morning to let their neighbors know the beds are made, the house is clean and the breakfast dishes are done and all is right in my family.

They're gone, but new generations will cherish the day at the lake, or the backyard Bar B Que, or however else families celebrate or enjoy the day. Things change, memories are wonderful, but we live in the here-and-now and for some of us, there is a heavy pall over this Memorial Day.

And...

I miss seeing veterans selling the little red Buddy Poppies in front of Kresges and Woolworth.

We cherish too, the Poppy red
          That grows on fields where valor led,
          It seems to signal to the skies
          That blood of heroes never dies.

Comment

Nice post usmc1. Those Buddie Poppies are still available here from the American Legion, but they aren't as abundant as years in the past.

It's a shame that the true meaning of the Memorial Day holiday is being lost over time. There are still several of us ''older' veterans who still honor our 'Fallen Heros' in true fashion.

But for many others, it's just another opportunity for a three day weekend which, don't get me wrong, we all look forward to. But when mentioning Memorial Day, the first thing co-workers say is, "Oh boy, another three dayer." without mention of plans of attending a Memorial Day service sponsored by a local veterans organization.

Comment

It is a shame Memorial Day has been altered to the point of the current generation really not knowing the meaning of the day.
              But as usmc1 said, things change, it is still a good thing that families tend to celebrate the day together, and a few at least give a nod to the veterans.
              This nodding unfortunately seems to be totally forgotten on that other day for remembrance of the sacrifices of our veterans ... how many parades have you seen on November 11th in the past decade?

Comment

Great post USMC1.
                You almost made me feel guilty about not visiting graves and such. Not quite though.

But I really did like it.

Comment

Memorial Day is always seen as a day to celebrate all of our fellow soldiers who have fallen in duty to the country.

But let us also remember all of the foreign fighters who have allied themselves with us in bettle and fallen for the same causes.

Bob S.

Comment

God Bless the men and women who fight for the USA, Thank you for give it your all.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X