• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Boys

quote:
    Thieves take car; cops make music
    Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Police have added a musical twist to the booby-trapped car they leave out to entice would-be thieves.

The city's so-called "bait car" is now rigged to play the theme from the television show "Cops" when officers remotely disable the engine and nab the crooks.

A videotape recently shot on the car's hidden cameras shows a man hopping in the driver's seat and muttering to himself, "I got me a good one."

He drives a short distance before an officer monitoring the situation from a remote location flips a switch that disables the engine and locks the door. Then, the car's tape player can be heard blaring the reggae-inflected tune from the television show's opening credits:

"Bad boys, bad boys/Whatcha gonna do/Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?"

The bait car in Columbus has caught 10 thieves in two days of use last week, Lt. Marie Ballou said.

"We only put it out there once a month or so and for about three days at a time, but it's been effective," Ballou said.

quote:
    Thieves take car; cops make music
    Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Police have added a musical twist to the booby-trapped car they leave out to entice would-be thieves.

The city's so-called "bait car" is now rigged to play the theme from the television show "Cops" when officers remotely disable the engine and nab the crooks.

A videotape recently shot on the car's hidden cameras shows a man hopping in the driver's seat and muttering to himself, "I got me a good one."

He drives a short distance before an officer monitoring the situation from a remote location flips a switch that disables the engine and locks the door. Then, the car's tape player can be heard blaring the reggae-inflected tune from the television show's opening credits:

The bait car in Columbus has caught 10 thieves in two days of use last week, Lt. Marie Ballou said.

"We only put it out there once a month or so and for about three days at a time, but it's been effective," Ballou said.

Comment

I would just love to see the faces of those "bad boys" when they first hear that music playing! As one who has had his car stolen in the past only to get back a stripped out hulk, it would be some sweet justice to see these bad guys go down for the count. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Sawdust

Comment

Personally, I find it very interesting that the police don't have enough crimes to solve that they have to create crimes in order to have someone to arrest. Female cops posing as prostitutes, cops posing as drug dealers, a rigged car to catch potential car thieves--why don't they spend their time solving the MANY unsolved crimes on the books and try to catch the perpetrators of crimes already committed --including the ones who broke into my house many years ago and cleaned me out, or the 5 or 6 times my church was broken into and no one was caught? Just curious and [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] .

Comment

Jon-Marc,
          I understand your frustration with the inability of the police to catch the thieves.
          But if it's any comfort , just maybe one of these "Sting" operations has caught the same thieves that cleaned you out.
          It's not an easy job and nobody has all the answers. I'm just glad they are around to do what they can to hold the line.
          In A northern minnesota town, a couple months ago, a young woman was abducted. Within a few days the police had the suspect in custody. He won't tell anybody what he did with the woman or where her body is. Over 2,000 volunteers scoured the countryside looking for clues. Yet nothing has turned up.
          Meanwhile there are 100's of crimes being committed every day that still need police attention.
          I'm glad I'm not the guy that has to decide which crimes get attention and which ones get filed away as unsolved.

Steve

Comment

I had my truck broken into, several years ago. I called the sheriffs department to make a report. They (the thieves) stole my snap-on tool box. They opened the side compartment of my utility bed and took the box.

Thieves aren't the shiniest bead on the rosary, as they took out the refrigerant recovey machine and set it on the top, and they also left the oxy/acetelyne torches un-touched. All they wanted was the tool box.

I had a hunch I "might" be able to locate the tool box. I took the following Monday off work and went (along with my friend), to the local flea market. I ended up finding my tool box, complete with the tools (except the larger ones), that was on display. I went across the street to call the sheriff. When they showed up, we went over to the display and I identified every tool as being mine.

The sellers stated that they had purchased the tool box the previous day, at another flea market. The officer did not do anything to them, but I was allowed to take my tool box and tools.

Moral of this story, if you are a victim of a burglary, try looking as some of the flea markets within a week of the incident. Chances are, you may end up finding you possessions. It is also wise to file a report so you have something in writing (especially for insurance claims). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

i had all my tools stolen from my shed once. i told the police and did not notify the insurance ompany since my deductable was so high. well i soon discovered i should have notified the insurance because it cost a fortune to replace all the tools. some where old and i had no clue how expensive tools had gotten over the years. so consider that if you are a victim of robbery.

Comment

When my tools were stolen from my church, I was given half the amount that I told the insurance company it would cost to replace them, and I had to buy cheaper tools.

When my house was broken into, I learned a valuable lesson--be sure to have "replacement cost" included in your insurance. I didn't have that, and they gave me what they figured my old stuff was worth. Try replacing everything at today's costs with what you paid for it 10 years ago. I had my insurance changed to "replacement cost", or whatever they call it. My house is insured for so much more than it's worth that I thought about burning it down for the insurance, but I'm not smart enough to get away with it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

When my car was broken into, I learned not to leave anything lying on the seat. They smashed a window and took a headphone radio and a speaker I had hooked up to my car radio.

Comment

Working...
                X