What kind of computer do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of computer do you use?

Do you use a desktop? Laptop? What Operating System?

I just want to see what kind of users are out there.

I have an iBook laptop running Mac OS X.

Do you use a desktop? Laptop? What Operating System?

I just want to see what kind of users are out there.

I have an iBook laptop running Mac OS X.

Comment

YES! Go Mac! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I have an iMac with OS 8.6. I know it's not the most up-to-date, but it does the job.

(Now we get swamped by the Windows users....)

Comment

quote:
        (Now we get swamped by the Windows users....)

Yes, and rightly so... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously, despite the nifty new flat-screen Imac, Mac is dying. I expect it to be extinct within five years, which is unfortunate because the operating system is indeed leaps & bounds ahead of crappy Windows.

I myself have a 3 1/2 year-old Packard Bell. It's never given me any trouble in that time, but now that I'm so used to my superfast work computer, I can see that my own is no longer up to speed, pardon the pun. Most likely, my next computer will be a Dell, as they're probably the best PC currenly available (despite that annoying "Dude, you're getting a Dell!" guy).

Comment

We have 1 iMac running OS 9.1. It's stable for resident programs, but crashes a lot when we get out on the net. It's about to have 9.5 and X installed.

A second iMac (the one 1 use) already has 9.5 and X. 9.5 seems very stable with older programs, but doesn't run everything that 9.1 would handle. X is wonderful for Internet use - I've only had 1 time when a program hung up, and then the operating system remained stable. I just quiet the affected program and restarted it. The downside is that my printer won't work with X (it does with 9.5) until I install an expensive upgrade, and my CD burner doesn't work at all.

My laptop runs Windows ME. It's got several quirks that took a while to figure out, and is generally clunkier to us (things that are done in 1 or 2 clicks on a Mac take 3 or 4). However, it's far more stable than my previous laptop with Windows 98, and it runs like lightening on the Internet.

Comment

I do not use a computer for my posting here, but use WEBTV from the Microsoft Network for posting, for e-mail, for searching the web and constructing my web pages, as well as useing a scanner and printer. Most people do not know about WEBTV and that's most unfortunate, as I find it is excellent. I believe that many more people would use it if they knew about it. It never crashes! With rebate, it costs $65. to purchase. I view it on my 27 inch TV screen, while I am comfortable in my recliner, viewing and typing from across the room. Great print, and really large glorious pictures. Great life! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I use a Sega Dreamcast,no expensive computer to pay for means more money to spend on classic cars.

Comment

Vintage car guy... Off the subject but I have a 1971 Impala convertible that is taking up space in my garage.Could it be considered a classic? I'm having a hard time deciding whether to keep it or sell itsince I have owned it since it was new .Any advice? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Dukhat:
                  [qb]

Seriously, despite the nifty new flat-screen Imac, Mac is dying. I expect it to be extinct within five years....[/qb]

Ah, but people have been saying that about the Mac for what... almost 20 years now? Bill Gates' wishful thinking. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I don't really expect the Mac to go anywhere anytime soon. The move to a Unix basis for OS X, I think, guarantees it a future. Even if Apple goes belly-up, the OS would survive as a front-end for Unix.

I also have a Windows 98 machine at home and use one at work. They get the job done. I've resisted upgrading the home machine simply because I have a problem with giving Microsoft any more money. And given how buggy their OS is, I don't think they have any right to require that I re-authenticate every time I have to reload an application.

But that's just my two cents' worth.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Take care,
                  Vin

Comment

I have 3 primary computers that I use (software is my vocation and my hobbie).

My main system is a IBM T20 laptop (Intel PII 700 - 384KB memory, 40GB drive) with gentoo linux (v1.2). The primary "server" in my home network setup is a system-max (generic brand) (AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz - 512KB memory, 160GB drives). I use Mandrake Linux (v8.2) on that system. I also have an old WinBook laptop (PII 266) that I use as a print server. This also uses Mandrake Linux (v8.2)

The IBM thinkpad is my favorite. The keyboard includes a "touchpoint" (button) mouse which sits between "G", "H", and "B". This setup allows me to type and mouse almost simultaneously. I never need to leave the keyboard to move the cursor. I'm using the thinkpad 95% of the time that I use a computer in my home.

Comment

I have an IBM computer with Windows ME. I've had nothing but trouble with this IBM since it was new, and I won't have another IBM. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by outdoorbare:
                        [QB]Vintage car guy... Off the subject but I have a 1971 Impala convertible that is taking up space in my garage.Could it be considered a classic? I'm having a hard time deciding whether to keep it or sell itsince I have owned it since it was new .Any advice?

HI,
                        Everybody seems to argue about whats a classic,some think anything over 25,others think it has to be prewar and coachbuilt but your Chevy is very desireable to a lot of people out there.You could check Hemmings to see what people are asking for them these days to see if its enough to make you interested in selling.
                        I still own my first car,a 55 Chevy Bel Air 4 door and I wouldnt sell her for 10 times what shes worth but only you can decide if sentiment means more to you than cash.
                        Good luck with whatever you choose to do with it.

Comment

I use Windoze 98 SE on a PII system I built myself three years ago.

I put Linux on another system and I am in the process of learning it. I use SUSE 7.3 release and I love it.

I expect that my next new computer will have nothing but Linux on it. I may run Win98 on one old box just so I can keep using a few apps.

Linux is free and much better than Windows ever was.

Comment

vintagecarguy.....Thanks for the reply.Ive gotta get all the junk Ive stored on it ...get a new battery and get it going.

Comment

Great to see a good number of Mac Users here! I guess it's true that we do 'think differently'...he he

I have a Blue & White Tower G3 Running OSX! I use a G4 at work for Video Editing.

If any of you Wintel users are currious about the MAC... Here is a link for you
                              http://www.apple.com/switch/

Eric

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X