French Polynesia- Moorea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Polynesia- Moorea

Has anyone been to French Polynesia recently and found clothing-optional beaches? I am particularly interested in Moorea, as I am a budget traveller and usually camp or stay in backpacker hostels. Moorea has about 3 campgrounds. I do not stay in expensive resorts. I know females may be topfree in French Polynesia but what about total nudity on the beach? I read that Club Med Moorea used to have a nude beach, but they are now closed. Do people still use that beach nude? Are there motus off of there that people are ferried to for nude use? Has anyone camped at Chez Nelson on Moorea and can they comment on nudity on the beach there, or the proximity to nude beaches? THANKS.

Originally posted by kauai:
    Has anyone been to French Polynesia recently and found clothing-optional beaches? I am particularly interested in Moorea, as I am a budget traveller and usually camp or stay in backpacker hostels. Moorea has about 3 campgrounds. I do not stay in expensive resorts. I know females may be topfree in French Polynesia but what about total nudity on the beach? I read that Club Med Moorea used to have a nude beach, but they are now closed. Do people still use that beach nude? Are there motus off of there that people are ferried to for nude use? Has anyone camped at Chez Nelson on Moorea and can they comment on nudity on the beach there, or the proximity to nude beaches? THANKS.
    I stayed at a French campsite on Moorea. Moorea is much quieter then the main island where Papeete is located. Topless beaches are common in Tahiti. However full nudity is not. You can find a secluded beach on Moorea and then strip off without problems. However, on the main island, a couple of the hotels did have moorings in the sea and /or private beaches where tourists could strip off. I am not sure if any of these are still open and you might have to explore the main island to find a secluded beach. Since there are so many French tourists in Tahiti, there will be a few nude places but these may be in very secluded places and can only be found by word of mouth. Do you speak French? If you don't then you will be at a tremendous disadvantage as you will really need to be conversant with the locals in order to discover and gain access to these beaches. It will also be invaluable if you decide to travel around the island by the local public transportation ie Le Truck. This link might be of some help to you:

http://www.papeete.com/about.html#nudity

From this link:

Nudity Note:

Many ask about nude or topless beaches on Tahiti. It's the same here as anywhere else in Polynesia: accepted and quite common to go topless. Bottomless is seldom seen except for on private or hard to find beaches, but not unheard of on the public beaches either. Of course this is a European thing. (Remember, Polynesia is a french owned territory.) At this time, TST is unaware of any "official" or especially marked "nude beaches" on Tahiti.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate you looking into the moorings. One person told me there was a nude beach about a mile from the Radisson near Papeete. Ever heard of that? Anything you can find on Moorea would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by kauai:
        Thank you for the reply. I appreciate you looking into the moorings. One person told me there was a nude beach about a mile from the Radisson near Papeete. Ever heard of that? Anything you can find on Moorea would be much appreciated.
        I will look for more information on Moorea. Moorea generally is a very quiet place to go and relax. I found many secluded places on Moorea. The problem will be if you do not have any form of transportation to get around the island and have to rely upon the schedule of Le Truck. At the French campsite that I stayed at, there was a Club Med just down the road but I do not remeber anyone saying anything special about their beach.

As for Hotels near Papeete, I would suggest contacting or going to French hotels such as the Meridian and asking about nude beaches and facilities on the island.

Comment

Working...
        X