two Toronto Star articles (Canada)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two Toronto Star articles (Canada)

"A step-by-step guide to help naturism get its mojo back" : Resorts shouldn't hide their purpose, and a flush toilet is nice

Jun 04, 2007 04:30 Am

Stéphane Deschenes, owner of Bare Oaks Family Naturist Park has the following strategy on how to save the nudist movement...

http://www.thestar.com/article/221187

============================================
    "Interest sags in nude retreats"

Jun 04, 2007 04:30 Am
    ROBYN DOOLITTLE
    STAFF REPORTER

Nestled among the rolling hills and lush forests of the Oak Ridges Moraine, 100 acres of Eden is up for sale, on the northern tip of the GTA...

http://www.thestar.com/article/221188

There were grand plans for one of the resorts in Florida to purchase the Four Seasons Resort. The plans included a great deal of condo construction but sadly the whole deal fell through.

In the not too distant future, a great change will occur in the nudist club community. In the not so old days, idealistic young couples and families purchased and built their nudist clubs and these clubs were owned and operated by genuine nudists who believed in the lifestyle. As these couples and families have aged, more and more will continue to sell their camps and , due to price, it appears that the only ones able to purchase the properties will be non nudist investors. These investors will run these properties with the main focun being to make more and more profit. The nudist aspect will become secondary as the purpose of the clubs will change to resorts that no longer exists solely for the purpose of promoting nudism. Money rules! - will be the new motto and focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanslines:
      There were grand plans for one of the resorts in Florida to purchase the Four Seasons Resort. The plans included a great deal of condo construction but sadly the whole deal fell through.

In the not too distant future, a great change will occur in the nudist club community. In the not so old days, idealistic young couples and families purchased and built their nudist clubs and these clubs were owned and operated by genuine nudists who believed in the lifestyle. As these couples and families have aged, more and more will continue to sell their camps and , due to price, it appears that the only ones able to purchase the properties will be non nudist investors. These investors will run these properties with the main focun being to make more and more profit. The nudist aspect will become secondary as the purpose of the clubs will change to resorts that no longer exists solely for the purpose of promoting nudism. Money rules! - will be the new motto and focus.
      Yes, I remember when Caliente was in the offing to buy the Four Seasons Resort near Toronto.

While I agree somewhat with your view of who or what tends to buy these places in order to make a big profit, a youngish Canadian married couple with kids *did* buy The New Forest and have renamed it Bare Oaks (www.bareoaks.ca), so there is still some hope left! Indeed, the new owner is the head of the Federation of Canadian Naturists and is quoted in both of the articles mentioned above.

Comment

Please note that I am certainly am keen to see naturist resorts thrive.

However, equating the success of naturist resorts with naturism itself (as suggested by the titles and initial wording) seems to me damaging to naturism -- and ultimately to the naturist resorts themselves.

I don't have to belong to a vegetable-eating club to be a vegetable-eater. I continue to run into large numbers of people who are quite comfortable in their own skin but who have no more interest in belonging, or frequenting, a naturist club than they would any other type of resort club.

Comment

The selling price of $1.7 million for all that land and some buildings seems quite reasonable for a Toronto area property.
          Lots of potential,IMHO, to develop this property, perhaps,even in two parcels-clothes free and clothed.

Comment

Working...
          X