Grey Whale Cove and San Gregorio, San Mateo County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Whale Cove and San Gregorio, San Mateo County

Does anyone know if there is access to Grey Whale Cove beach while Highway 1 is closed at Devil's Slide for repairs? We don't get too many sunny at the coast days like today and I would have liked to have gone there. Instead I went to San Gregorio. This is a long and wide open beach that is very nice, but unfortunately is littered with drift wood enclosures that many use for illicit behaviors. I had a nice run on the beach and spent time sunning near the water, but I couldn't help feeling like I was being watched by the "prairie dogs" who occasionally popped their heads up from their enclosures to spy on those around them or see if they were being spied upon. I was hoping things had changed there but I guess not.

Does anyone know if there is access to Grey Whale Cove beach while Highway 1 is closed at Devil's Slide for repairs? We don't get too many sunny at the coast days like today and I would have liked to have gone there. Instead I went to San Gregorio. This is a long and wide open beach that is very nice, but unfortunately is littered with drift wood enclosures that many use for illicit behaviors. I had a nice run on the beach and spent time sunning near the water, but I couldn't help feeling like I was being watched by the "prairie dogs" who occasionally popped their heads up from their enclosures to spy on those around them or see if they were being spied upon. I was hoping things had changed there but I guess not.

Comment

Perhaps all of us in the Northern part of California should band together and make a big fire on the beach. And return it to a family park again, are you in for it?
      All the best
      FCMII

Comment

I have been wondering about thoes beaches. My girlfriend and I frequent BonnyDoon, but it is such a small beach there is no room to go for a walk along the shore. We have been wanting to find another naturist beach in the area, but dont know where to go. I'm up for the beach fire idea!

Comment

California Nude Beach Guide "About.com" link

Comment

FYI, that Gray Whale Cove and Devil's slide are the same beach. It was renamed when the state took over management a couple of years ago. Park rangers do NOT bother nude bathers. Just keep to the left side of the beach (when facing the ocean). It is one of my favorite beaches

I believe you can access the beach from the south. Hwy 92 to Hwy 1 go north. Look for a parking area on the right. You have to cross Hwy 1 to get to the beach. Once through the park gate turn right past the ranger stand and head down the wood stairs. Turn right and go to the end. That is the nudist area.

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by Evolving:
              So how long is Gray Whale Cove? San Gregorio is 2 miles long.

Evolving

Hi Evolving,
              Since nude use has dropped to about half of what it used to be at Gray Whale Cove, I'd say the nude area of this beach is about a quarter of the size of San Gregorio. And as Hankster said it is the north half of the beach. It should be noted that San Gregorio is not entirely a nude use beach. There is a "privately" operated nude section with a separate entrance and parking area north of the State operated parking lot and beach area. Follow Naked Gary's link for better descriptions of this areas beaches.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by PcNerd:
                I have been wondering about thoes beaches. My girlfriend and I frequent BonnyDoon, but it is such a small beach there is no room to go for a walk along the shore. We have been wanting to find another naturist beach in the area, but dont know where to go. I'm up for the beach fire idea!

Hi PC Nerd,
                I love your avatar.
                Have you tried Red White and Blue? I know they charge a day use fee, but it is a much larger beach than Bonny Doon. I would still recommend San Gregorio, but on a weekend when I think there is more open use and less people "hiding" in the driftwood structures.

Comment

Ha! Thanks Wil,

Yeah, my girlfriend and I tried RW&B before, but had a bad experience with perverts spying, following us and sitting down way to close to us. It kinda turned us off and didn't want to have to pay $30 to go there and feel uncomfortable. Its a shame that those people ruin it for us!.

We actually drove up Highway 1 yesturday to half moon bay. The Highway is closed only a few miles north of 92 so I'm not sure if you can get to Gray Whale from 1 south or not. I found out they are building a tunnel that will be completed in 2008 to avoid future slide problems.

Hi PC Nerd,
                  I love your avatar.
                  Have you tried Red White and Blue? I know they charge a day use fee, but it is a much larger beach than Bonny Doon. I would still recommend San Gregorio, but on a weekend when I think there is more open use and less people "hiding" in the driftwood structures.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Evolving,

Let us know how it is. I want to visit SG with my girlfriend soon. I drove by it last weekend and the parking lot was full and the place was packed.

Comment

Evolving,

Wow that sounds nice! Glad it was a good experience for your guys. We will visit soon and I hope we have a good time too!

Comment

Working...
                      X