Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about californian nude beaches at the beginning of September

Hi.

I am going to be visiting California and driving from San Francisco to San Diego (or maybe just to Los Angeles) this weekend (September 3-5, 2011). Would like to visit at least two beaches: Baker Beach near San Francisco and (if succeed to reach San Diego) Black's Beach. I am not interested in nudist resorts that don't have the ocean beaches.

My first question is about the Baker Beach. Is it now warm enough in San Francisco for swimming there? if no, is it warm enough to sunbathe there? Is it worth to visit this beach at the beginning of September?

My second question is about Black's Beach. What is its current status about the nudity? I read some articles dated back 2008 or so about that the beach is going to turn into the completely clothed one. Does it really remain a nude beach now? If so, is it warm enough in San Diego to swim?

Maybe there are other really great beaches between SF and SD among these ones: http://beachesbeaches.com/californianudebeaches.html

Thanks a lot for your answers and good advises!
    Last edited by DareBare; 08-30-2011, 12:24 PM.

Re: Question about Californian nude beaches at the beginning of September

Hi DareBear,

I do not have an answer to your first question, but as far as Black’s Beach is concerned, it is definitely still a nude beach. I was there in June and had a great day. Just be sure to stay in the clothing optional area as the city has been citing nudist who go onto there side of the beach.
    As this will be a holiday weekend, it would be advisable to get there early. The parking lot at the glider port can fill quickly, but there is usually still parking along the street that leads into the parking lot. Another reason for going early is the traffic on the 5 and 405 freeways can get very heavy going from L.A. to San Diego.
    As for swimming, I have never found it to cold, even in January. In fact September though November is sometimes the best weather and sea conditions.
    As far as other beaches, with the crack down by various county and state agencies who feel there is something wrong with public nudity, there are no safe options that I know of in the Santa Barbra, Los Angeles and Orange County areas.
    Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip

Comment

No worries about Blacks Beach that I know of, no change in the Cahill policy there. But if you do not wish to drive that far south, please visit San Onofre and show your support for that beach. It is a little scary because of the change in policy, but on the off chance you do get cited, I think all that have fought the citations have had them dropped, the few that have not fought pleaded out to an infraction of disturbing the peace, which does not show up on your record.

Comment

I just posted a review of Bonny Dune, on hwy 1 north of Santa Cruz. Nice beach.

Comment

Thanks so much to all who answered! I am googling about all the aboverecommended beaches. Hope everything is going to work fine

Comment

I was just at Black's beach last weekend. The clothing optional status is alive and well. If you use the path from the glider port make sure you turn right at the bottom of the cliff
            when you reach the beach; if you walk to the left of the path - south, you will quickly find yourself no longer on the state owned portion of the beach, which is NOT nudity tolerant.

Therefore, as soon as you walk down turn right and head north. As you walk north the entire beach is nudity tolerant until you reach the mussel shoals area of the beach. Beyond
            the mussel shoals area it is no longer nudity tolerant. I use the term nudity tolerant because Black's is not a designated "nude beach." You can be nude in the permitted areas
            I just described without any hassle. No worries if you get out of the permitted areas though. If the lifeguards notice, they will ask you cover up. I goofed once and jogged into the non permitted area. The life guard stopped me and asked me to put my shorts on or be issued a citation. I complied and simply waited until I was in the nudity tolerated
            area again. Once there I pulled my shorts off and continued my jog nude without further incident. I have found the life guards to be very friendly. When I was there last week I
            found a wallet on the beach. I noticed a life guard truck stopped up ahead. I walked to the truck to turn in the wallet. The life guard thanked me and didn't bat an eye about me
            being naked.

One more thing. Make sure you shuffle your feet when you walk into the water. Stingrays are often in the sand and when you shuffle your feet you'll make them move out of the way. A few years ago I was getting off a boogie board and stepped on a stingray and got stung. It really hurt for about 3 -4 hours. If you do step on one, place your foot in the hot
            sand to relieve the sting so you can climb back up the path to your car.

I hope you have fun. Black's beach is a great place to visit.

SD

Comment

Bonny Dune = Bonny Doon

Comment

Working...
              X