Bare Cove at Folsom Lake, CA, status?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare Cove at Folsom Lake, CA, status?

Hey - I've talked to a few people who've been to Bare Cove at Folsom Lake, but they've always gone in a group and been the only ones there.

Has anyone been there in the last year or so? If I showed up with just a friend, would we be the only ones there? Are there many onlookers or other people passing through? I understand the area is very popular with mountain bikers. Would they be in the same area?

What's the story with Bare Cove?

Thanks in advance!

Hey - I've talked to a few people who've been to Bare Cove at Folsom Lake, but they've always gone in a group and been the only ones there.

Has anyone been there in the last year or so? If I showed up with just a friend, would we be the only ones there? Are there many onlookers or other people passing through? I understand the area is very popular with mountain bikers. Would they be in the same area?

What's the story with Bare Cove?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

It depends on when during the year you go. I've been there probably around 8 times total in the last 3 years? I try to make it up there every summer. Last summer around this time the lake was trashed with logs everywhere and the entrance to bare cove was closed due to the clean up effort (My suggestion: call ahead to see if the entrance is open).

From my experiences it really is the luck of the draw. Some days you'll find a person or two up there, some days you'll find yourself alone. My last trip up there (Probably around late July/early Aug '06) wasn't too pleasant. From what I understand it is illegal to be nude there. While a friend (female) and I were swimming there nude, a folsom police boat pulled up and I really thought we were gonna get ticketed but the two male cops just parked the boat there and gave a creepy smile at my female friend, then they finally drove off. We were lucky that day not to get cited.

I recently had an online convo with someone who is in the river dippers and he told me while it is illegal to go up there nude, its rare to get cited.

And there is no posted sign or "Eched rock" saying nudity is okay. All someone did was spray paint, "Nude beach" there.

About onlookers or people passing through, again rarely. One time a group of us were swimming and tanning, and a young man walked by but ignored us. Another time we had an older couple ride by on their horses and asked us if we had a beer we were willing to sell them. Yes, they didn't care that we were naked.

And its not an actual beach. Its just some dirt really with these spiney things all around!! Bring lots of blankets and sandals!

Comment

Excellent response Jesse. Our experiences are similar to yours.

I would embellish your point about how difficult it can be to find, especially for a first timer. There is also a parking fee and, regarding the Mt. Bikers, they are a non issue as they don't come within view of the "beach".

Comment

Working...
        X