Red Sand Beach in Maui, HI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sand Beach in Maui, HI

My g/f and I are headed to Maui in a couple of weeks and I would like to go to a nudist beach while I'm there. I've heard that the authorities in HI aren't kind towards nudists, but every indication I get is that Red Sand Beach is a safe place to relax the way you should - nude.

Has anyone been there? Is it as hard to find as all the maps say it is?

just a note - we will be going with our families who don't know about our nudist tendencies so getting caugh and going to jail would not be good...

My g/f and I are headed to Maui in a couple of weeks and I would like to go to a nudist beach while I'm there. I've heard that the authorities in HI aren't kind towards nudists, but every indication I get is that Red Sand Beach is a safe place to relax the way you should - nude.

Has anyone been there? Is it as hard to find as all the maps say it is?

just a note - we will be going with our families who don't know about our nudist tendencies so getting caugh and going to jail would not be good...

Comment

We went to Little beach in Maui some years ago. It is a non legal nudist beach. When we were there avery day for a week there was always a hundred or so naked people there, weekends, more.

We never saw any police and had no worries. It is a beautiful beach with very manageable waves.

Good luck JAMES

Comment

I don't think there are any legal nude beaches in Hawaii, but there are beaches that are nude by tradition and toleration.

Little Beach or Little Makena is a wonderful and popular beach, but not so popular that it ever felt crowded while I was there. Park at Big Beach and walk in to the beach; then walk north. You'll have to scramble over some boulders, but it's not that hard. I do strongly recommend shoes of some sort for that part of the hike.

Red Beach is the most breath-takingly beautiful beach I've ever seen. It's a bit hard to find, and the hike is not for the truly faint of heart. But it's not that scary either; anyone with an ordinarily good sense of balance can do it (best if you're not terrified of heights). Part of the trail is both high up and narrow.

At Hana go to the general store (it's historic and a great place; you shouldn't miss it anyway). Ask the cashier for directions to Red Beach. She'll give you a map.

Both of these beaches are worth your time.

Comment

Little Beach and Red Sand Beach are definitely worth a nudist visit.

If you get to the Big Island, Kehena Beach on the east side in Puna district, just a few miles north of where the coastal road has been cut off by lava flow is a great place for nudists as well.

Gary

Comment

Yes, Kehena Beach on the Big Island is great, probably the only black sand C/O beach in the world. On Sundays they have a drum circle, dancers . . . it's like stepping back into the 60's. Lot's of fun & easy access. Aloha

Comment

Has anyone been to Little Beach within the last month or two? How was it?

Comment

I found this:

http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/beaches..._beaches_2.htm

Comment

I've heard there have been problems with the ocean washing away the sand at Little Beach this spring. There is more information here:

http://www.littlebeachmaui.com/

Comment

I was just there (Feb/Mar 2007), and comparing it to my trip in 2001, I would say the beach is somewhere around 25-33% narrower (from water to hill) now than it was 6 years ago. Don't know when this happened, but my recollection would be a quarter to third less sand.

Wrong forum, but I'd say Kehena (on Big Isl) is at least a third smaller - maybe more. Black sand does not replenish itself, and the entrance end of the beach is mainly 2-3" rocks where it used to be sandy.

Too bad - we need some new sandy spots designated (or at least allowable) for clothing optional beaching.

Comment

Working...
                    X