Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazo Beach in Wisconsin

Hello.

Has anyone here been to Mazomanie Beach in Wisconsin? Is anyone here from Wisconsin?

Yep. I was just there this week. It's a great beach on the wisconsin river. Just FYI if you go, bring a bike. The parking lot is a good mile from the beach.

quote:
    Originally posted by Edwarlife:
    [qb] Hello.

Has anyone here been to Mazomanie Beach in Wisconsin? Is anyone here from Wisconsin? [/qb]

Comment

Could you tell me where exactly in Wisconsin I would find Mazomanie Beach? I might finally go to a group outing this summer (about #$%&ing time, as some might say), and I just want to know how close it is to the Illinois border, or if it's in the vicinity of Milwaukee.

Comment

I have never been there, (yet) but am hoping to go just after the 4th of july.

It's closer to Madison Wi. from what I understand.

But I could be wrong.

Steve

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by S.M.A.:
          [qb] Could you tell me where exactly in Wisconsin I would find Mazomanie Beach? I might finally go to a group outing this summer (about #$%&ing time, as some might say), and I just want to know how close it is to the Illinois border, or if it's in the vicinity of Milwaukee. [/qb]
          It's fairly near Madison.

Mazo Beach: Wisconsin River, Mazomanie State Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin

From the town of Mazomanie take County Y drive north, and turn left onto blacktop Laws Road, which leads left in 1/2 mile onto gravel Conservation Road along the Wisconsin River. Park in the lot and take the short path to the beach. At the beach , go left (downstream) and proceed to the southern-most part of the beach which is clothing-optional.

Map

-Mark

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm still deciding between Wasco, Illinois and Mazo. That's really helpful.

Comment

I was at mazo beach and this was my first nude experience. The beach was packed....probably nearly 200 people there. The walk from the parking lot was terrible. Too many mosquitos. But the beach area itself was very nice and what a sand bar...you could walk out nearly 30 yards and the water wouldn't even reach your knees. Nice place.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo:
                I was at mazo beach and this was my first nude experience. The beach was packed....probably nearly 200 people there. The walk from the parking lot was terrible. Too many mosquitos. But the beach area itself was very nice and what a sand bar...you could walk out nearly 30 yards and the water wouldn't even reach your knees. Nice place.

One way to avoid that mile-long hike down 'Skeeter Alley' (a.k.a. Conservation Drive) would be to rent a canoe from one of the outfits between Sauk City and Mazo. The one I used a few years back had a pick-up service at Spring Green.

While I love Mazo, the soft sand just got to be too much for my right foot.

Comment

My first outdoor experience was at Mazo last June and then I went back in July and August. Never saw a mosquito or deer fly (see below). The length of the walk isn't really that bad. It depends on your age and health. If you haven't had problems walking in the past (knee problems, etc) this won't be an issue. It's all level grade too.

I like Mazo because it is a public beach with no fee or registration. If you're a first timer and nervous, you can be as anonymous as you chose to be. If you're more comfortable mixing, there are pleny of chances for that; everyone seemed very friendly. I'm an introvert myself so I didn't mix but the opportunity was there. If you're not sure how you'll deal with being around alot of people, you can go on a weekday when it is not as busy. Later in the afternoon it gets busier as the Madisonians get out of work.

I'll also mention that the river was really low last summer so it was even easier to walk across but even in a regular year it is really easy to walk out to the sandbars. (This might also explain why I didn't see mosquitoes last year. The vernal ponds in the area might have evaporated earlier than in other years.) The biggest drawback about the water is that because it has a current, you can't really "swim" in it. Most people walk around or lie on the beach and then periodically go into the water to cool off. Because it is relatively shallow, you can walk right down the middle of the river.

It takes me about 4.5 hours to get there from Minneapolis. One time I drove down in the morning, stayed all day and then drove back the same evening. You're only 3 hours away so it would be even easier to do it in one day.

WARNING to anyone who has not driven there before: the Mazomanie Five-0 takes their speed limits very seriously. If you see a "reduced speed ahead" sign, be sure to be at the lower speed the moment you get to the next sign, if not before. That's especially important coming back from the beach into town where it goes from 55 to 35 in the space of like 20 feet (well, maybe a little more, but not much). Immediately after the 35 sign there is a side street where the police like to park with their radars. But don't take it personally. Mazomanites are very friendly and supportive of the beach and its denizens.

Comment

How long a drive, with typical traffic, is Mazo Beach from downtown Chicago? I go to Chicago fairly often and I think it would be cool to hit the beach on one of my trips.

UW

Comment

I was going to try to answer but I'm sure there's someone out there who knows alot more about it than I do. It's four lane freeway all the way to the west side of Madison and then from there it's maybe 30 more minutes. I'm guessing maybe 2.5 to 3 hours total, depending on what time you leave Chicago and how fast you drive. I'm sure there's a Chicagoan who can give a more accurate answer.

Comment

I'm from Chicago and am definitely interested in checking out Mazo beach. I'd have to wait until the weather gets warmer of course!

I too would like to know how far it is from downtown Chicago.

Comment

Once it gets wormer Im gonna visit the beach. But first need to find out where its located.

Comment

I have been to Mazo many times and the bugs have never really bothered me. Mazo is located about 30 minutes west of Madison Wisconsin on the Wisconsin River in Mazomanie. Specific directions can be found on numerous websites. I know how to get there, but dont remember the name of the road once you get close to it. I know it when I see it, but its easy to get to. About a 15 minute walk in (all downhill) from the parking lot.

Hope to see you there!

Comment

Originally posted by chgonude77:
                              I too would like to know how far it is from downtown Chicago.
                              The information I have from here and from other Chicagoans I know says about 3 hours, give or take. In terms of distance, about 180 or so miles from the intersection of the I90-94/290, going north on I-90.

Who knows, maybe we can hook up and road trip up there sometime.

UW

Comment

Working...
                              X