Censorship: where DOES it end??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Censorship: where DOES it end??

I was watching a documentary on the Independent Film Channel last night, on the topic of censorship in film. Which, of course, leads us to the subject of nudity in film. (Sometimes it pays to watch nude...)
    Anyway, this documentary pointed out that it was around 1915 when they first saw a nude woman on camera. And here we thought it's only been, what?? 40 or 50 years?? So as long as there's been film in America, there's been religious prudes taking away our right(s) to enjoy the human body in its natural form.
    I wish I had time (and space) to go into greater detail on this, but suffice to say that my take on the subject is this: I, for one, am not ashamed to stand in front of a camera nude...my album here notwithstanding ()...nor am I averse to posing for Playgirl. (Even at my age...51.)
    After all, show me where it says you have to be in your 20s or 30s to pose nude for someone...
    Free your mind, and your body will follow. If you have a healthy attitude towards nudity, it's the first step towards a healthy attitude about sensuality and/or sexuality. (IMO, of course. )
    OK, I've had my say. It's your turn(s) now. Prove me right or wrong; doesn't matter. Just know I'm not "shallow", despite what someone else says about me.

Re: Censorship: where DOES it end??

I saw a silent movie about ten years ago on AMC I think. I don't remember much about it, but I believe it was set in Rome of Greece. I'm not sure. Anyway, I remember several scenes where actresses were obviously naked but just barely covered up. I was shocked because I thought that much skin was forbidden back then. I wish I could remember the name of this movie.

Comment

Originally posted by maliakei
      You're right. It does pay to "have a healthy attitude towards nudity". Unfortunately many of us are taught early on to 'cover up' because of culture, media, society, religion, etc. No wonder there is much confusion. I am lucky my mother taught us girls otherwise. We were carefree kids with a mother who loved life, nature, and was comfortable with our bodies. Unfortunately father never understood all that, reminding us to 'cover up' because nudity was not 'lady like'.

I'm interested in the movie you watched. What was the name? If you would like to read about the history of sex in cinema relating to American movie classics, check out http://www.filmsite.org/sexinfilms.html
      It was part of the "Indie Sex" series of documentaries IFC Films made a few years ago. I don't know if they'll run it again anytime soon. They might have it at the video store; I'm not sure.
      It'll say "Indie Sex", then "Censorship" on the front. Oh, and IFC Films, BTW. Hope this helps.

Comment

The program was aired again on TV on the IFC channel a few days ago. It is called, "Indie Sex:Censored".

There is a video on the internet of a brief film clip of the program. It gives a clear idea of their arguments regarding censorship. It is;
        http://www.ifc.com/videos/indie-sex-censored.php
        Last edited by David77; 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EricS View Post
          I saw a silent movie about ten years ago on AMC I think. I don't remember much about it, but I believe it was set in Rome of Greece. I'm not sure. Anyway, I remember several scenes where actresses were obviously naked but just barely covered up. I was shocked because I thought that much skin was forbidden back then. I wish I could remember the name of this movie.
          The original version of "Ben Hur" (in the early '20s) had topless women running through the streets of Rome. Perhaps this is what you saw??:thinking:

Comment

Thanks, but that's not it. I would know it if I heard it, but I just can't remember what it was. Maybe I should head for Google.

Comment

Thanks, but that's not it. I would know it if I heard it, but I just can't remember what it was. Maybe I should head for Google.
              Well, it was the only silent movie I thought of that fit the description. I tried.

Comment

I found it! Out of the blue I remembered the word cross so I looked it up. It's "The Sign Of The Cross" by Cecile B. Demille.

Comment

I found it! Out of the blue I remembered the word cross so I looked it up. It's "The Sign Of The Cross" by Cecile B. Demille.
                  YAY!!! (And it's Cecil, no "e" at the end.)

Comment

Working...
                  X